Only from Missouri...

The kind of restaurant I'm thinking of is the type that does buffet/smorgasbord dining every day. It's all they do.

The problem I have with these places - the food sucks. They mass produce stuff based on the lowest common denominator - the cheapest items they can get.

I'm not sure how you guys in other countries grade beef, but here in the US, the USDA (US Dept of Agriculture) has several grades of beef - and those are based on how tough a particular piece of beef is when you cook it. There are 8 grades of beef from Prime - which melts in your mouth when you take a bite all the way down to "canner" which is pretty much shoe leather and like the name suggests - is likely the variety you might find in canned beef products like Corned Beef Hash - where the beef is pretty much reduced to ground mush. This is a good thing - considering the grinder is doing all the chewing for you. Better the machine's teeth go dull than you break teeth trying to chew. If you want to read more about grading beef, click here...

You're nicer restaurants will serve Prime (if they can get it) or Choice (which is almost but not quite as tender). These mass producers tend to go with Select - which is actually less flavorful and can be tough to chew and far less tasty...

• Like! 1

Hmm

8 Jägerschnitzel, 6 pound frenchfries on a big plate

1 pound field salade in a large bowl

2*1 litre bottle with orange juice

sums up to 38 Euro

Have to fill glasses and plates yourself from the big ones. Can't complain, Schnitzel are from a butcher just 100 metres from Restaurant.

Jägerschnitzel, huntsman Schnitzel, escalope a la chasseur : Schnitzel with a Sauce from roasted onions, mushrooms and cream.

Jaegerschnitzel_mit_Pommes.jpg

The restaurant has different price lists:

Family - served on a big plate for hungry family and only 'menu of the day'

Wanderer/Tourists - For single and hungry people

Business - smaller portions so there are no leftovers at a business dinner, but more expensive

2Litre orange juice - 2 euro

8 XLsize - Schnitzel - 12 euro

6 pound french fries - 5 Euro

1 bottle Mushroom sauce - 3 euro

1 pound field salade - 3 Euro

25 Euro if I would buy at street market/butcher do it at home, and energy, cleaning, time wasted, ...

Since we have potato, mushrooms, field salade on our own, I could save a bit more money against more time needed. Well normally we do this option and discuss school, next days transport needs to friends or sport while cleaning and cutting the food.

• Like! 1

ok I have to admit that looks and sounds good Chattius.

As for McD's... umm no thanks. I'm with you on that one Wolfie.... EWWWW So not a fan of fast food. And I also agree with Lujate, I'm not into raw meat.

I have eaten buffet occasionally and its pretty cheap and flavorless. Had actual real family style food once in my life, and it was amazing... but expensive (prob why it was so good). Buffets that are catered for special events (by individuals not generally businesses) are typically fairly good with the exception that they generally have issues keeping the food hot or it overcooks. I just happen to have family that is in the catering business and their food is amazing... but then they are so buzy its impossible to book them for anything.

• Like! 1

Kiyeri, guess what... I'm goin to a buffet tomor

Hmm

8 Jägerschnitzel, 6 pound frenchfries on a big plate

1 pound field salade in a large bowl

2*1 litre bottle with orange juice

sums up to 38 Euro

Have to fill glasses and plates yourself from the big ones. Can't complain, Schnitzel are from a butcher just 100 metres from Restaurant.

Jägerschnitzel, huntsman Schnitzel, escalope a la chasseur : Schnitzel with a Sauce from roasted onions, mushrooms and cream.

Jaegerschnitzel_mit_Pommes.jpg

The restaurant has different price lists:

Family - served on a big plate for hungry family and only 'menu of the day'

Wanderer/Tourists - For single and hungry people

Business - smaller portions so there are no leftovers at a business dinner, but more expensive

2Litre orange juice - 2 euro

8 XLsize - Schnitzel - 12 euro

6 pound french fries - 5 Euro

1 bottle Mushroom sauce - 3 euro

1 pound field salade - 3 Euro

25 Euro if I would buy at street market/butcher do it at home, and energy, cleaning, time wasted, ...

Since we have potato, mushrooms, field salade on our own, I could save a bit more money against more time needed. Well normally we do this option and discuss school, next days transport needs to friends or sport while cleaning and cutting the food.

Mushroom sauce?

I've never heard of this... I want mushroom sauce!!

:4rofl:

gogo

As for McD's... umm no thanks. I'm with you on that one Wolfie.... EWWWW So not a fan of fast food. And I also agree with Lujate, I'm not into raw meat.

I have eaten buffet occasionally and its pretty cheap and flavorless. Had actual real family style food once in my life, and it was amazing... but expensive (prob why it was so good). Buffets that are catered for special events (by individuals not generally businesses) are typically fairly good with the exception that they generally have issues keeping the food hot or it overcooks. I just happen to have family that is in the catering business and their food is amazing... but then they are so buzy its impossible to book them for anything.

I'm trying to imagine an all you can eat MCd's Buffet now!

:oooo:

gogo

I'm trying to imagine an all you can eat MCd's Buffet now!

:oooo:

gogo

:sick:

'nuff said on a McD's buffet...

But the Jaggerschnitzel thing isn't that hard to do... Just make it yourself.

Check out the recipe here... Btw.. It's traditionally served with Spatzel but I suppose Fries would do in a pinch.

Edited by wolfie2kX

But the Jaggerschnitzel thing isn't that hard to do... Just make it yourself.

Check out the recipe here... Btw.. It's traditionally served with Spatzel but I suppose Fries would do in a pinch.

Hmmm... just might have to try that out one day

Spaetzle are noodles mainly in southwest germany. Rough surface eats a lot of sauce.

I (and I am alone with my oldest here) prefer roasted Himmel und Erde with the Schnitzel. Translates as heaven (apples) and earth (potato). 8mm cubes of potato, apples, pears, quinches (luckily we have some fruit trees) roasted in the fat of some same size greenback/lart cubes.

But in winter it are often Crouquettes (favourite of the other 4 kids) to use up leftover potato from the days befor.

My wife likes a simple Zwiebelbauernbrot (farmers bread with chopped onions baked in) to suckup the sauce.

OK.. I did not know that.. 2 of the 3 recipes on the web site I linked to featured Spatzel. Assumed it was the standard accompaniment to Jaggerschnitzel.

Then again, it's an American web site and they're trying to demo food from Germany...

I would only eat some salted salmon, which is kinda raw, but red meat? No way in the world... I've been eating white meat (fish, turkey, chicken) so long my stomach can't stomach (pun intended. :P) well any red meat, save if it's raw. Only thing I eat nowadays is Christmas ham, and that needs to be very well done.

Still, interesting looking food, I give it that. :)

Ever tried Carpaccio?

I wonder if Carpaccio can be considered raw. It is basicly like our Sauerbraten, marinating and fermenting. Well Carpaccio is best beef while Sauerbraten is made from tough hard to chew meat like horse or donkey.

Chattius: Gotta say no thanks. Be it thin as a flim, it's still red meat...

Oh, and about buffets; I've been kinda regular in couple of places. Other is basic Western: pizzas, meatballs, few basic Finnish foods. The like.

Other one is Thai. Those two are really great. For around 12€ eat all you can, and the food's not tastless. That Thai place is really great.

They know how to put proper heat in the food. :P

• Like! 1

Other one is Thai. Those two are really great. For around 12€ eat all you can, and the food's not tastless. That Thai place is really great.

All you can eat Thai Food?

:o

noooooo...I need this!

:cry:

gogo

Why not make your own Thai? I did a lovely Thai curry last night and it really isn't that hard to do.

1 lb of chicken breast - boneless and skinless (or deboned and skinned - either way).

1 onion cut into half circles

1/2 lb green beans cut into 1 inch long pieces

3 large mushrooms - white or whatever floats your boat - sliced (about 1 1/2 cups worth)

2 tablespoon of Mae Ploy brand curry paste (pick your flavor - red, yellow, panang, green, etc...)

1 can of chakok brand coconut milk

4 garlic cloves sliced

1 green or red bell pepper cut into strips.

2 tbs of canola or olive oil

2 1/2 cups of cooked Thai Jasmine Rice

Put the rice in a rice cooker - and prepare per directions that came with the cooker.

Next, cut the chicken into bite-sized chunks.

Heat the oil in a wok or large skillet and add the Mae Ploy curry paste. Open the coconut milk can and spoon the thick coconut milk into the curry paste and oil. Combine well. Reserve the watery parts of the coconut milk for a bit later. Toss in the onions, mushrooms, green beans and peppers into the wok/skillet. Stir-fry until they're about halfway cooked.

Next add the chicken and cook until it's done - about 5 mins or so. Add the garlic and the rest of the coconut milk can's contents. Stir well.

Note: If the sauce is a bit on the dry side, you can add regular milk to the mixture so you get more sauce.

Serve the curry over the rice.

Enjoy.

Note: You can substitute or add additional veggies as you want. Other variations - carrots, bok choy, snap peas, snow peas, regular peas, potato (red or white potato - not russets though). You can also substitute other meats - pork, beef, fish, shrimp. Or if you're so inclined - skip the meat for a veggie curry.

The recipe isn't set in stone. Play with it as you like.

It is. It's very quick and easy to make. The key is to have your mis en place ready (that is all the veggies and meat ready to go before you turn fire up the stove). Then it's just a matter of dumping everything into the pot in the right order. The harder veggies (carrots, potatoes, and such) that takes longer to cook go in before those that cook quicker.. The chicken should be dropped in at the last moment.

Btw.. Amazon carries Mae Ploy... Mind you the price is insanely overpriced. If you've got a good market that carries Thai products in your area, you can probably find the stuff for about 1/2 of what Amazon will sell it for.

They also carry the coconut milk for a somewhat more reasonable price. The link is for an 8 pack which works out to $1.43 per can. Not too bad. You may be able to find it at a local Asian/Thai market for a better price per can.

If you're making a bigger batch, Chaokoh also makes a 20 oz can. If you get those, then you won't need the regular milk booster.

Btw.. I only use Chaokoh brand for this - because all coconut milk isn't quite the same. This variety has a really thick, creamy "head" - about 2/3rds of the can is the thick stuff. The thick stuff is what makes the curry sauce what it should be. I've tried others - most of them are more homogenized or are just too watery for this dish.

Edited by wolfie2kX

True.. Your basic megamart - Ralphs/Kroger or Vons/Safeway will also carry Chaokoh coconut milk - but the price is astronomical. The basic 13.5 oz can goes for something like $2.79 there where Amazon has it for $1.43. My favorite Thai market (Bang Luck Market) has it for $1.25 or so.

Call me a miser.. But I don't see myself ever willingly paying 2x what I should for anything. While it's true Chaokoh is like a Mercedes Benz, I don't see the point of paying full price if I can get it for the price of a Yugo. :D

All you can eat Thai Food?

:o

noooooo...I need this!

:cry:

gogo

OMG I dont even place Asian/Chinese?Thai Buffets in the same catagory... YUMMMY now you have done it,, im hungry for Asian food