Pesto...

Not only does the recipe sound delicious, but the way in which you described it even more so. I love always reading here about the chemistry involved in making good, tasty food, that part you wrote about how cooking destroys this dish makes sense.

I've always had my eye on pesto, but never really got around to making it at home, though I do love it's aroma, and have seen it added to different pre made products at my grocery store.

Sad though about the mortar and pestle not needed anymore. And while I can imagine the pesto being able to be created in a blender, I'm wondering if along the way we also haven't lost some of the magic of crushing and smashing food repeatedly and getting sore over the course of a few hours from being added to the creation.

Thanks for your write up Wolfie, shame you don't have a pic of what you made too

Blame me for being hungry?

:)

gogo

The season for bear garlic is almost over but:

Our around the garden recipe:

Bear garlic (garden close to forest)

young nettles (around waste water pit)

dried tomatoes (the ugly ones which were riping assymetric, and wouldn't look nice on a bread)

roasted walnuts (own trees)

thistle-oil (a woman does this in a neighbour village)

mixed in a big mortar and put in bottles.

When used on noodles, parmesan cheese is freshly added.

Tastes great as a base for pizza

or on a baguette with tomatos and mozarella

or...

So we normally do no cheese for the storable pesto in bottles.

• Like! 1

Not only does the recipe sound delicious, but the way in which you described it even more so. I love always reading here about the chemistry involved in making good, tasty food, that part you wrote about how cooking destroys this dish makes sense.

I've always had my eye on pesto, but never really got around to making it at home, though I do love it's aroma, and have seen it added to different pre made products at my grocery store.

Sad though about the mortar and pestle not needed anymore. And while I can imagine the pesto being able to be created in a blender, I'm wondering if along the way we also haven't lost some of the magic of crushing and smashing food repeatedly and getting sore over the course of a few hours from being added to the creation.

Thanks for your write up Wolfie, shame you don't have a pic of what you made too

Blame me for being hungry?

:)

gogo

Eh.. I dunno what we could have "lost"... Women with forearms like Popeye the Sailor? Salt poisoning? These are things I can do without...

My camera is currently missing. I have no idea where it's hiding. But there are plenty of pics of the ingredients and the final product located on the Wikipedia page for Pesto.

The season for bear garlic is almost over but:

Our around the garden recipe:

Bear garlic (garden close to forest)

young nettles (around waste water pit)

dried tomatoes (the ugly ones which were riping assymetric, and wouldn't look nice on a bread)

roasted walnuts (own trees)

thistle-oil (a woman does this in a neighbour village)

mixed in a big mortar and put in bottles.

When used on noodles, parmesan cheese is freshly added.

Tastes great as a base for pizza

or on a baguette with tomatos and mozarella

or...

So we normally do no cheese for the storable pesto in bottles.

That same Wikipedia article also mentions Ramson leaves in place of basil as being a German variant. No mention of nettles, though. Ramson leaves if you look them up turn out to be Bear Garlic.

One more thing... Pesto is like Guacamole in one respect - Pesto will turn brown and icky if left exposed to the air. When storing your pesto - make sure the sauce is put into an airtight container and cover it with a layer of olive oil so the air can't get to it directly. You can store the sauce for up to a week this way.

Edited by wolfie2kX
  • Like! 1