Eat more lentils

Guest gogoblender

Guest gogoblender

It's true

And you guys know you should all eat more too. Lentils are low in fat, high in protein, and yummy when added to all kinds of stuff.

And if anyone's interested and this thread gets more hits...I'll also put up some of my ideas.

Do they make you fat?

No

Fart?

Maybe

But they're so cheap, easy to throw inta anything and believe it or not...they make for some great fast food.

This is the official Lentil thread...beware.

LIght up some incense before you tread here

:)

gogo

Does anyone have a recipe for a good cold lentil salad with a tart dressing? I had one in a restaurant years ago and loved it, but I haven't been able to find a recipe I liked enough to use as a base for experimenting on my own version.

I want lentil salad!

You know you all want to eat more Dhal, (or however you spell it anyway, its an indian sauce thing that goes with ya rice and curry, mmmmmm)

Try it, you know you want to!

/devil

~Doom

Guest gogoblender

hahah,, hey Tim...man I grew up on Dhal!

everyday...rice, dhal and veggies

oh yeah...goat...but anyway, lol

Dagirl, I don't really know any recipes about Lentil salad...but I know some peeps that make some great varieties...I think it's mostly just a question of how much oil and vinegar to add, correct?

And...we actually do tons of stuff with dhal (family)

my mom adds, dried shrimp, potatoes, and...onions

She fries up all the onions before hand with secret spices, herbs and more spices...then adds little black balls (dunno what they are) and cardommom I think

then, when it's all friend up she adds it to the lentils and wow...

you can taste it all the way through and through!

Just chuck the dried shrimp if yer a veggie...lentils can do anything.

Sometimes I even add some tomato sauce.

Yum!

:D

gogo

you grew up on it too? I did (and I suppose am) every week Rice Dhal and Curry, certainly made me resilient to hot food, I no longer think chilli is hot, only warm

:)

~Doom

I lurve Dhal! focus.gif

DaGirl havent made this myself so dont know what its like but I thought I might give it a go :D

Lentil Salad

# ¾ cup green or brown lentils, rinsed and drained

# 1 shallot, halved lengthwise

# ¼ tsp ground cloves

# 2 plum tomatoes, chopped

# 2 ribs celery, chopped

# ½ yellow bell pepper, chopped

# ½ red onion, finely chopped

# 3 ounces goat cheese, crumbled

# 2 Tbsp chopped parsley

# 2 Tbsp chopped fresh mint

# 3 Tbsp lemon juice

# 1 tsp honey

# 1 tsp olive oil

# 1 clove garlic, minced

# Salt and black pepper

1. Place the lentils in a medium saucepan and cover with 3" of water. Add the shallot and cloves and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the lentils are tender. Drain in a colander and discard the shallots. Set the lentils aside to cool.

2. In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, celery, bell pepper, onion, cheese, parsley, and mint. Stir in the lentils.

3. In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, honey, oil, and garlic. Pour over the salad and gently toss to combine. Season with the salt and black pepper.

Sounds pretty good :D

Guest gogoblender

wow, I just chowed down on someone's VERY good sweet indian lentil curry...delicious!

All veggie, with small potatoes, red curry and...

Soya!

Yeah, the soya was in small little sqares that was deepfried and then dropped into the curry sauce which was almost reminiscent of indian and thai all mixed in together.

A delicious change of pace and incredibly healthy...with yummy green peas throwin in for tongue popping texture as well!

:o

gogo

I'll post full details of our recipe soon, but I know you need creamed coconut, lentils onion bayleaves (optional)

lotsa water to cook it for half an hour or so

:P

~Doom

• 1 month later...

hehe yup Kiwan GoGo is our resident bard!....he can make you feel hungry with his threads even if you have just eaten, between DaGirl and GoGo I have often found myself famished and drooling at their recipes at some really odd times of the night!

hehe yup Kiwan GoGo is our resident bard!....he can make you feel hungry with his threads even if you have just eaten, between DaGirl and GoGo I have often found myself famished and drooling at their recipes at some really odd times of the night!

Ditto. I always read these threads in the middle of the night when I'm the hungriest. :D

Guest gogoblender

It's pure self flagellation reading these threads in the middle of the night, hahah

awww...thanks fer the kinds words, darlin Erialc and Dagirl!

now...I'm Ungry

:D

gogo

• 1 month later...
Guest gogoblender

Well, taste is certainly part of the attraction. But wiht lentils you can bear down on a more hollistic approach to taste, nutrition and good health. No cholesterol and the cheap price are all a part of lenti's attraction.

And I've never seen you say no to my lentilleti mister.

:P

gogo

Well, taste is certainly part of the attraction. But wiht lentils you can bear down on a more hollistic approach to taste, nutrition and good health. No cholesterol and the cheap price are all a part of lenti's attraction.

And I've never seen you say no to my lentilleti mister.

:devil:

gogo

well....

.... :BlobRed:

your lentils and pasta sauce is kinda legendary...

how could one say no .. :)

I want some now ...:BlobRed: make me some pasta!!