Edit armor and weapons models?

Valkyr

Is there a step by step guide to change the items? I don’t want to retexture like in this guide (although it is tempting, but I'll leave it for now.) I only want to change the models from some armor sets, with other “in-game” models, so, when they drops occasionally they will looks as I like.

Also it will be equally good to change the attributes to other set or legendary pieces to do what I want.

Depending on what models you're swapping, it could be as easy as just renaming the model file you want to change to the name of the new model you want to replace it with. Hero's model files are extension .gr2, located mostly in graphics05.zip, as well as graphics 06, 07, 11, 12, and 13.

You'll have to rename the textures too, otherwise the game will try to wrap the old textures around the new model. Hero's textures are in graphics02.zip and graphics19.zip for Ice and Blood.

Sorry that's barebones info and not remotely step-by-step but it should get you started.

EDIT:

Changing item attributes can be done in blueprint.txt. Unfortunately you really have to know what you're looking for, since items aren't often named properly or in English. Item attributes are also displayed as a string of numbers, so you have to know the number of the attribute you want as well as what values to enter to make it scale as the item levels up. There's a partial list of the code numbers for item modifiers around here somewhere...

Edited by Flix
  • Like! 1

Well, lets see if this gets reported as illegal comment again...

For starters you will need Granny Viewer 3D. With it you can view GR2 game model files fast and easy. There should be a link around the forum somewhere.

All object models in the game are located in the graphics05 file. It’s well organized, so if you know what model you are looking for, you should be able to eventually find it. Use sacred wiki item set demonstrations to isolate what you want and what it will replace.

Once you know what armor you want and which armor to replace it with (test it out in Granny Viewer 3D), you will need to create folders exactly like in graphics05 leading to the item you want to change. For example:

models/heroes/seraphim/sets/angeldust/

Copy your new armor GR2 file into the last folder and rename it exactly as the item you are replacing.

Run game - see what happens when you equip the armor (inventory icon will not change). It may be a mess on the ground, may be not, but it should be different.

Successful example:

TGinafedora.png

• Like! 1

^Yeah, that's better step-by-step instructions. Although I was never able to get Granny viewer. I just learned the models I was working with by trial and error and by looking through all the scripts.

• Like! 1

Thank you, that’s exactly what I want and it works like a charm. You forgot to tell me that there are three texture folders, so it was a headache to understand that lq, mq, hq actually means Low, Medium and High quality, I use the High quality settings so all the changes in the mq folder wasn’t reflected by the game, jha! (it sounds funny now). After that I have solved all problems except one that is killing me...

I have changed pieces of the Niokaste from Niokaste (when I want to change only the texture), and other sets (when I changed models and textures). All changes match perfect except the one from the torso which is glitched in multiple areas. The changes are this ones:

Meshes from:

...\pak\hq (original)\maps\heroes\seraphim\sets\std-iron\
n_sera-iron-torso.GR2
n_sera-iron-torso_cam.GR2
n_sera-iron-torso_0.cm

to:

...\pak\models\heroes\seraphim\sets\angeldust\
n_sera-iron-torso_d.GR2 (renamed as c_sera-angeldust-torso.GR2)
n_sera-iron-torso_cam.GR2 (renamed as c_sera-angeldust-torso_cam.GR2)
n_sera-iron-torso_0.cm (renamed as c_sera-angeldust-torso_0.cm)

And textures from:

...\pak\hq (original)\maps\heroes\seraphim\sets\std-iron\
i_sera-iron-torso-var3_d
n_sera-iron-torso_n.dds
n_sera-iron-torso_hx.dds

to:

...\pak\hq\maps\heroes\seraphim\sets\std-iron\
i_sera-iron-torso-var3_d (renamed as n_sera-iron-torso_d.dds only if I want to change its color)
n_sera-iron-torso_n.dds
n_sera-iron-torso_hx.dds

Note 1:
Also I have replaced aaaaaaall files started with “c_sera-angeldust-pelvisskirt ...” with empty 0 KB text files, to get rid of the ugliest skirt I ever knew.

Note 2:

I know that the files “_n” are the bump maps, the “_hx” I think are some kind of effects, the “_cam” I think they are animations, and the “_0.cm” I think they are from Community Patch. But I don’t know if it was right changed their names as I do?

You can also try the default torso mesh (in ...seraphim/default folder); it doesn’t seam to clip at all (or clips perfectly).

Alternatively you can use the most revealing torsos and textures to minimize the clipping effect.

• Like! 1

mmm I understand the problem with this particular mesh, thank you for explaining...

Of course, you can try tracing down the script for the default torso removal.

You can also try the default torso mesh (in ...seraphim/default folder); it doesn’t seam to clip at all (or clips perfectly).

The second one I assume that replaces the naked torso with an armored one, so I prefer the first one that I assume it will add the script to remove the default torso each time is equipped. (Correct me if I’m wrong).

Is there a guide or a post to learn how to do that? Because I don’t have any clue about where even start to do that.

I forget to say that I have the last game version with last Community Patch and Elite Graphics installed, maybe that’s important...

You got to love Ascaron standardization – took me only 10 minutes to figure it out.

To remove the default torso like all other armors, you need to modify the “itemtype.txt” located in normal “\scripts\shared” folder.

First make a backup copy of the file – if you mess it up, game over.

Open the itemtype.txt in text editor (XP Notepad will not cut it, so try WordPad)

Search for “n_sera-iron-torso”. Just a few line above it should be

flags = "FLAG_EQUIPCUT + FLAG_BLACKBACK + FLAG_HASPREVIEWIMAGE",

Now go back to the beginning of the file and search for “c_sera-angeldust-torso”. The flags for it will not have “FLAG_EQUIPCUT”.

What you need to do is add the “FLAG_EQUIPCUT + ” to all items that use “c_sera-angeldust-torso.GR2”. There should be about 6 of these in the file (don’t know why). This fixed the crazy clipping on my end.

• Like! 1