Can't even start Sacred 2 on PS3 :-(

I put the game in my PS3 and it startings installing game data, then before it finishes it downloads and installs an update, then when it goes back to installing the game data, it freezes anywhere from 60% to 95% done. It will stay frozen for hours, I've left it alone hoping it would finish, but it doesnt. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling and nothing works. There is plenty of space on the hard drive (80 GB), I even deleted everything I had on there to make extra space. I even got a separate copy of the game but got the same results. Has anyone run into anything like this or heard of anything like this? I have a pretty old PS3, but it works fine with every other game, even new games.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Have you tried installing the game without the update?
Try starting the game without an internet connection (turn the wireless connection off and/or unplug the ethernet cable), and it should install the game without trying to download/install the update.

I don't know if this will do anything (as I've never come across this issue before), but it's worth a shot as a first step.

• Like! 1

Yes I've tried that. Gets stuck at 67%. Patching or not patching doesn't seem to have any effect on the game data install. I've tried cleaning the disc and the Restore File System option. I've done everthing I could find short of a complete System Restore (back to out of the box version). If I can store saved games on a flash drive, I might end up trying the System Restore.

Both copies of the game that I tried it with were used (ordered from BestBuy.com), but what are the chances that both of those game discs were the problem?

I always tell the clerks at Best Buy, GameStop, EB Games, or anywhere selling used copies: "You can tell me that it's 100% guaranteed to work...I'll see you in 30 minutes."
I'd say about 80% of my used game purchases from large retailers have been defective. Much better track record from the small retailers, but most of those guys allow you to try it on their machines to make sure it works first anyways.

If you can find a disc that someone is currently playing with and install the game using that disc, you might be able to play the game using the discs that you have.

Edited by Mystix123
  • Like! 1

I worked at a GameStop when I first got out of the military. One GameStop during one holiday season isn't necessarily indicative of every GameStop's policies, but I don't remember anyone every checking any used games we were buying back.