possibility of a new job

Hey all.

as some of you know I'm currently working in a school part time and doing some part time work in recording studio's s a professional sound engineer. However I had a phonecal a few hours ago from one of the Directors of Virgin Music.

the company know of me quite well becaise of the work I have done for them in the past. and they have offered me a Job as a Recording studio Manager.

the pay rate will be £37,000 - £45,000. I will also get a company car, expenses and will eligable for bonuses. However!! I'll have to work more or less 24/7. and I'll have to commute into london from 40 miles away so it could rpove to be a bit of a nightmare.

to be offered such a high profile and high status job when I'm still only 18 and have that kind of responsibility is really quite worrying. I'm going to get a copy of my contract emailed across at some point in the next few days to see what my contract ematils but I'll keep you all posted on the latest.

I can't belive I'm being offered such a fantastic job. but I'm really nervous. can anyone please offer me suggestion about the whole job situation because I'm really not sure waht to do I'm happy waht I'm doing even if the money isn't that great. but I don't know if I'm ready for such a stressfull and high profile job :S

Dan

Well congratz on the offer

Offers like this come along only once (or if you're really lucky twice) in a lifetime. There will be a million things you can think of to make it sound bad or difficult. But you must think of where you'll be a year from now, if you don't do it..

If this is something you really love doing and you can get paid for it - well there's a great combo!

Seriously consider all the great opportunities this can bring to you, doors that will open for you that you do not even know are there, the people you'll meet and work with...Wow...

I'm sure it's a tough commute and for sure there will be long hours and responsibilites that you've never had before, but that's what growth is all about. How will you know if you can do it or not unless you try...

I say go for it, rush headlong, damn the torpedos, full speed ahead.

:thumbsupsmiley::thumpsup::mellow:

go for it dan

if you don't accept it you might regret rest of your life, but if you accept there is always some turn around available (just read the entire paper work before you sign :ninja: )

gratz on your new job dan

yea, go for it.

you wont know if you can do it till you will try.

and dont worry if you dont know somthing - you always can learn what you dont know (if you dont afraid of learning)

and good luck with new job

man I am very happy for you!!

I think you should take it- I agree with the dude that's it's once in a lifetime chance but to get more chances in the future! Try it and then see if you like it! if you enjoy, stay, if not- change jobs but you will have that title pops up on your CV and you can tell people how much you enjoy working there as a mean to get a better one that you like :thumbsupsmiley::thumpsup:

Hk.

That sounds like an amazing opportunity, especially at your age!

Yeah, the commute may suck, and the hours might be long, but it's not forever and it'll make your CV look very nice (especially if they came looking for you). It sounds like it's the kind of thing that'll open up a lot of doors.

Dan....

the only advice I can offer is do what makes you happy. I was earning 25K per year, and was miserable as sin. Now on under 12K and happy as larry. At the end of the day you'll ending up doing whatever makes you happy and not whatever pays the most. So go for it, if your not happy in 9 months, leave and goto uni and as Llama said you'll have great experience under your belt.

wel I've jsut been onthe phone to the bosses at virgin. and they are giving me until friday of next week to make a decision on the position.

they are willing to reduce my hours a bit and allow me to work from home some of the time, so in tehory I'll be able to continue with some more a-levels. which are pretty easy to get anyway. business is common sense and drama all I ahev to do is some lighting and I get an a-level.

I can get all my exams done in january so would enable me to focus fulltime on work, but its such a wierd position to be in. and they are going to be pretty flexble with me in this new position as its jsut a pay package and not an hourly wage and I'm contracted to do however many hours a week,. and it can be the odd hour here and there and then work solidy all weekend.

I think my inimnia may come in handy here. but as I've said bg step going from a sound engeneer and reqiring mising desks and leading a small group of people in a studio to running one. will be sad to leave the school although if I'm studio manager I can get liasons with the school and let them use the facilities.

the one big concern I have is my methods of management, yeah I'm good at sorting things out but I don't wnat to upset people. I like to help people and woudl like to be a good manager but I can see that the guys and few girls 40+ working in the studio won't like being told what to do by someone who is of my age!

I'm reading through my contract again and highlighting bits I'm not happy with so we can discuss it at a meeting that we are holding on friday afternoon. so hopefully everything will go ok but I think I'm jsut scared of change, and well if I do take the job my time for ogame will be non existant and I don't want to lsoe contact with you great people who I've got to know pretty well isince joining uni 9 and what would I do without my Rik :BlobRed: .... (doesnt bare thinking about )

but I'll keep you all posted on the latest

the one big concern I have is my methods of management, yeah I'm good at sorting things out but I don't wnat to upset people. I like to help people and woudl like to be a good manager but I can see that the guys and few girls 40+ working in the studio won't like being told what to do by someone who is of my age!

Don't worry too much about that, your manager will/should help you with that.

I have a feeling they may send me out on day release to study for a DMS so that I actually have management qualifications. which was going to be part of my degree which I was planning on taking next year anyway so I could have more qualifications ut still a scary prospect being incharge of arround 40 people and being in middle management at the age of 18/19

sometime young age have some advantages - first of all - you coming with fresh start (no any leftovers from before), and ability to absorb new stuff at this age is greater then in fourties :BlobRed:

and if they are thinking about hiring you, thats mean, that they need you for some reason, what you dont think about (probably you have some skills/talents what you dont think about as skills/talents)

ok... well I have the interview.. kinda glad its all over and done with now.

when speaking to the virgin music directors I was truthfaul and expressed my concerns, we came to an agreement that I should take the job, however not do the job they asked for, I am now a Flexitime manager for virgin music which allows me to go into any studio at any time.

I will mostly working from home and doing most of the admin work for studio's and I'll be going in and out fo the 3 london sdios and occasionally poping to oxfordshire to the other studio's. I'll still get benefits and a company car, I will be getting a company mobile, laptop, satelite modem (meaning I can play ogame here there and everwhere) but also allows me to live a normal life.

I will be earning less than the £37,000 a year I said about earlier but I still think that £27,000 a year is good enough for someone of my age. the job is just as stressfull but it isn't full time and I work when I want aas long as I get stuff done. I'll be a regional manager in effect and I will have a big part in organising music events for virgin music.

I think I managed to get a very very good deal her ewith this job because its not going to be as stressfull and anywhere near as busy as the studio manager job would have been, but less pay is also good lower tax bracket and less work load for the money. and working from home means that I don't have to spend the best part of 3 horus + a day driving or going on the train.

I'd like to say thanks for all your messages amnd wishing me well and I'm glad I've taken tis job rather than the studio manager job. cheers again for all your messages.

Dan

Wow, big time congrats to you Dan! :pitcher: Oh wait... Are you old enough to drink that? Here, allow me. :drinks:

Honestly, I'm astounded that you are experiencing this opportunity at such a young age. It's really quite something. Try not to worry about the "bumps" in the road that you're thinking you may run into. Mistakes will happen and it's next to impossible to please everyone. Try not to think of them as negatives but rather opportunities to rise above. Gawd... Was that just really flaky or what?! Well I think you know what I mean, haha. You do don't you? :tease:

Opportunity just knocked, opportunities will be a knocking no doubt and nothing is forever.

Have an awesome time with the new experience Dan. :D

Guest gogoblender

This is awesome Dan

Really, I'm so impressed with all the goodies they're showering you with here and how interested you seem to be with this job!

Hard work and great timing.

Best of wishes on your road!

:)

gogo