HedgeHogs -

Anestty

Ok..this is my secret recipe, never fails to please, cept if ya dont like it! :D

You need -

500G Prime beef mince

chopped onion

chopped celery

Grated carrot

1 cup uncooked rice (Be good and use brown)

chopped garlic to taste

2 x Big tins condensed Tomatoe soup

Its so easy -

Mix all the stuff except the soup together, and make meatballs (Not to big) - Mix it well.

Put them in a big pot, and cover with tomatoe soup. Dont dilute the soup. (Make sure its condensed)

Bring the heat up and very gently simmer for about 40 min. I like it served with steamed brocoli.

Enjoy :bow:

Guest gogoblender

This is so interseting and reads deliciously.

I actually do a ton of cooking with tomato sauce, puree, you name it.

I've never conceived of turning it into a recipe like this with brown rice.

NIcely done!

And now..I'm curious...did you come up with this yerself?

Or...lol, is this kinda a family secret?

:D

gogo

Wow. You made me think of a very sad/happy time. First time in a while :D

I had finished a contract in Brisbane, split with my girlfriend of seven years (left with my best mate), and decided to take six months off and live as a hippy and surf. I stayed with a very great friend from Broome, (old gf from way back) and her boyfriend in a marvelous rustic farmhouse, [read old] surrounded by kangaroos, cows, chooks and dogs. A crystal clear creek ran just outside my room. This was in the magical Margaret River, in the south west coast of Western Australia. South West WA - Margaret River

It was freezing cold, and the first meal she cooked me when I arrived was Hedge Hogs. It warmed my belly and the company warmed my soul. Just what I needed. :bow:

On a side note - Jodie (my friend from above) also introduced me to a delicious camping treat. Bake a sweet potato in the camp fire and then smother sweetened condensed milk all over it. So nice.

Guest gogoblender

Annesty your story has, as well, brought that long ago wisty smile to my own face.

Funny huh, how some of the greatest things we do enjoy today have these poweful, past associations for us.

Makes me kinda think that maybe it's a reason why they're so important in our everyday lives...as testimony and witness to our past.

A wonderful story

Thank you

:)

gogo

p.s. now I'll just HAVE to make these hedgehogs! :D

Great story Anestty :BlobRed:

Those hedgehogs sound great.....wanna come over and cook em for us :D

Oh and I think we should add some chilli... :BlobRed:

But seriously we should do a BBQ soon :drool:

You be up for it:)

Guest gogoblender

hahaah!

ew!

dude...we have some THE best meat around

Def check out Schwartzes while yer here...

Best smoked meat in da woild!

Course...you may have to sit on a long bench at a long table cozied up to strangers to get yer teeth around one.

But oh so worth it

A true montreal experience in itself!

gogo

These were pretty good. I served them with rice as well.

I did alter the recipe a little though. I didn't have tomato soup, so I used a can of tomato sauce. I added some Italian seasoning, garlic powder, sage and sweet basil to the sauce. It tasted pretty good, but the rice in the hedgehogs didn't cook very well and was somewhat firm, but not so firm as to be unpleasant.

• 1 month later...