Currrrry in Your Tummmy

Aurora

Curries are one of my all time favourite dishes but I never knew how many different kinds of curries there are! Vindaloo, Madras, Korma, Rogan Josh, Thai Red, Thai Green are just a few of the ones I have made and there are still so many to try.

A curry is any of a variety of distinctively spiced dishes, best-known in Indian, Thai and other South Asian cuisines, but curry has been adopted into all of the mainstream cuisines of the Asia-Pacific area.

The term curry is derived from kari, which means sauce. Curry was originally used to mask the taste of bad meat .

So whats your favourite curry and do you have a recipe:)

My all time favourite would have to be Thai Red Curry - but I still cant make it half as good as the Tamarind - the restaurant around the corner from us....I am so tempted to ask them what they put in it - but then again they probably wouldnt tell me :)

Here is the recipe I use:

Thai Red Curry Chicken

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons peanut oil

1 onion - finely chopped

2 teaspoons Thai red curry paste (you can buy it from the shop but I have made my own a couple of times and its heaps better - see below)

2 cloves garlic - finely chopped

1 cup coconut milk

1 cup chicken stock

2 tablespoons fish sauce

1 tablespoon brown sugar

½ teaspoon salt

2-4 skinless chicken breast fillets—cut into bite-sized pieces

HEAT the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and cook the onion for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the curry paste and garlic and cook, stirring, for a minute. Add the coconut milk, stock, fish sauce, sugar and salt, then bring to the boil. Cover with a lid, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer for about 10 minutes. Add the chicken to the curry and simmer, for about another 10 - 20 minutes.

You can also add any of your favourite vegies at the same time as the chicken. Serve with Jasmine Rice.

Homemade Red Curry Paste

Ingredients:

25-30 dried hot red chillies (more depending on how hot you like it)

1 tablespoon sea salt

4 cloves garlic, peeled

2-3 stalks of fresh lemon grass

2 1/2-3 tablespoons shrimp paste

1/8 teaspoon tumeric

In a mortar and pestle or electric blender, grind together the dried chillies and salt. Allow at least 20 minutes by hand, or a couple of minutes with a blender. Add the garlic cloves and pound until smooth.

Cut off the very root end of the lemon grass. Remove outer leaves and chuck them out. Cut the lemon grass crosswise into 1/8-inch pieces with a very sharp knife. Add to the ground chiles, along with the tumeric. Grind again until smooth. Your arm should get tired!

Last of all, add the shrimp paste and blend together, mashing it into the chilies gently if you are using the mortar and pestle.

ENJOY :3lmao:

OMG Aur I am drooling Thai green or red are my favorite!...I made one over the weekend when I had freinds round!...I am definately going to try your red curry paste Aur...Awesome recipe! haha revenge thread this one...I now can almost taste curry and want one right now! My green thai curry is pretty much the same recipe as your red one.

One thing I do sometimes make which is sort of a curry soup is Thai Carrot and Parsnip soup.

Equal amounts of carrots and parsnips boiled and diced.

Thai green cury paste (loads of it)

Can of coconut milk or carton of coconut cream

loads of salt peppers softened onions (diced) and garlic

Corriander (tons of it ripped up and fresh)

I boil the carrots n parsnips drain and mush together all the other ingredients so you get a very thick soup.

Serve with some olive oil drizzled over the top or yoghurt if you prefer and some warm crusty bread. It really sticks to your ribs and keeps you warm over winter.

Any ideas to spice this soup up?

Great thread Aur!

:3lmao:

Mmmm curry! YUM :3lmao:

I must post my laksa recipe... laksa is kind of like curry... kind of :)

Seafood Laksa

Laksa Paste

Garlic (crushed)

Zucchini (diced)

Mushrooms

Onion (diced)

Carrot (diced)

Red Capsicum

1 can of Coconut Milk

1 cup of water

Prawns (and other seafood if wanted)

Egg Noodles

Saute Onions and garlic in a tablespoon of Laksa Paste

Add Zucchini, Carrots and Capsicum

Add Coconut Milk and water

Simmer until Veges are soft

Add Mushrooms and seafood

Simmer for a few minutes

Rinse Noodles then add them to the laksa

Simmer for a few more minutes

Mmmmm yum!

• 2 weeks later...

I lurve your laksa Ari :)

When are you going to make it again :hugs:

Claire that soup sounds delicious - I never thought of putting parsnips in soup, only ever had them roasted ;)

Thanks for sharing :pitcher: