"Fantasy" movies

Arianna

I love reading fantasy novels...

Lately I have noticed there has been a large amount of "Fantasy" movies coming out...

Most of them don't cut it for me, because the great thing about fantasy is the involvement of your imagination and when it's all on screen for you, your imagination is superfluous.

Saying this though, I do think there are some great Fantasy movies (most based on books) around the place, but my favourites are the older ones like "The Dark Crystal", "The Princess Bride" and "Willow".

What do you lot think?

Can any of you point me in the direction of some good Fantasy movies?

3 cases

1. Watch the movie to fully appreciate the directors depicting of the story.

2. Reading the book first then watching the movie in order to contrast how "others" depict the story with your version :drinks:. be careful of your expectations though

3. For a lazy reader like me :D I prefer to watch the movie first :woot::) and then if and only if I am "really" interested with the story, then I'll read the book.... :drunkards: ... otherwise I will follow case number 1 :yay:

Definitely a huge fantasy addict too. :yay:

Never Ending Story was my first I think and then from there it's Labrynth, Dark Crystal... Oh. Have you seen The Secret of NIMH Arianna? I really liked that one. Watched it many times as a kid. The ending is soooo cool. :D

Oh and if you haven't come across it yet then you might enjoy reading about this---->the return...

Can't wait till it's here! :drinks:

Oh and this one will be out later this month in Montreal. Looks spectacular. Very likely to turn even the most elderly of viewers into Nymphs, Ankas and various other sorts. animo21zb5.gif

Pan's Labrynth

Guest gogoblender

Nice taste in movies, Ari...lol, we like the same kinds I guess :cow_white:

I LOVED the princess bride. Course, when it first came out I quite didn't understand it...too cerebral, :cow_white:

And it was few years until I was old enough to finally get my "hands" around what it meant. By that time my appreciation for movies had hugely grown and the princess bride, in fact, almost all of the movies that Rob Reiner had directed came to quickly have a reserved spot on the shelf and after finally coming to really grasp what the movie was about I went out, tracked down the book and loved it even more. Never ending story, as well, an amazing journey. The kind of stuff that brings out the best parts of being a kid and revisiting all the stuff that made us laugh then and now again.

hmmm, more sugestsions? I'll keep this post in my mind and definitely get back with some ideas.

Cheers!

:cow_white:

gogo