Hellgate London

Guest gogoblender

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been playing the Beta for a while now gogo and yes, it is very good:)

I can't say much about it but think of it as a cross between Diablo and Doom and your somewhere close. I did see someone in the chat window call it " Diablo on steriods" :)

Ack I want to try this game... Why did I have to "blow up" my pc... *sigh*

AFAIK, the system specs aren't that high, gogo, supposed to run on a LOT of machines.

General Hardware/Software Information/Requirements

March 8, 2006

A Hardware T&L videocard? Homeboy, are you crazy? That's been a requirement for a long ass time now. You can't find a 3D game made today that doesn't at least require a GeForce card...at least. If you're still trying to play on a TNT you probably have to upgrade right now, dude.

As for what will specifically be required. I honestly have no damn idea yet. But we want to be accessible, so we're going to have the "cheap" scaled down version of all the graphics in the game everyone can play. It shouldn't be too much to handle.

(I just love this response. –northrop-)

March 13, 2006

1. Dual core CPUs are not currently supported, but that may change as development progresses. There's no way of knowing right now. Obviously we want to do everything possible to improve performance, but we have to worry about how much work this will take and how much it will cost.

2. We don't have final system requirements laid out. My 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, GeForce 7800 Go Dell laptop runs the game wonderfully at every setting, even max detail 1680 x 1050.

April 06, 2006

1. Hellgate will support Dolby Digital 5.1 when it releases.

April 20, 2006

Yeah, Hellgate will run fine on the 6 series and X800. More than fine, actually. I run on a GeForce 6800 Go Laptop and Hellgate swims, no problem.

And as found on the Hellgate website:

* Processor: 1 .8GHz or faster (2.4GHz for Vista)

* RAM: 1GB or more (2GB for Vista)

* Video: DirectX 9.0c/10 compatible device w/ 128MB RAM or better and Pixel Shader 2.0 support; requires NVIDIA GeForce 6200/ATI Radeon 9000 chipset or greater

* Audio: DirectX 9.0c compatible device

* Disc drive: 8x DVD or faster

* Hard drive: 6 GB or more free space

* Input: Keyboard and mouse

* Internet: Connection required for multiplayer

Edited by Timotheus
Demo/game is terrible just plain terrible.

Crappy animation, gfx and sound wont buy it.

It does feel a bit old-school in the graphics and physics department but I have to disagree about it being terrible. I would take pure gameplay over fancy graphics anyday, Sacred still rocks with very dated graphics.

It won't be to everyones taste but it's definately worth a try to see if it floats your boat.

The specs are not that high gogo but it does seem to have memory issues, even with 2 gigs of corsiar ram it gave up and CTD'd once until I turned a setting down.

If your a fan of FPS, love collecting rare items and like taking on big bosses then this is worth a try

Hellgate really kinda sucks, imho - downloaded&installed the 4Gig Beta, and that's what it will also be when it comes out..

a beta for retail-price..

well, these days you're lucky if you buy a beta, Loki and Legend came out as alpha and still are not even a bit better :thumbsup:

HGL is at least way more stable and runs more smoothly than it's direct and indirect contrahents from other developers..

But, it really looks ugly, at least under DX9.

While effects are still okay, the textures and 3D models of the entire environment are just.. washy,crude, etc.

Then, the camera-view, next big minus, but we already knew that for ages...:

you have to play in fps view, the complete 3rd person view is far too circuitous for a shooter AND/OR and arpg

interface is the next issue, I don't know what the heck it's designer was thinking when he created it:

big, ugly boxes,icons,buttons, messing up the complete screen for nothing.. loss of overview, again. fits in perfectly to the stupid combat-view.

too bad HGL hasn't at least a scaleable UI, like it's smaller brother Mythos is offering.

item,skill,quest etc. management seems to be really weired to me, maybe I'm just too stupid for it, or maybe it's really not my fault, but:

I didn't checked this complete thingy at the beginning, layout is very confusing to me.

it took me quite a while to figure out how to change that, access this, setting up my skill-bar, modifying items etc.

and I'll be honest, before I checked out everything about how the inv-handling works, I just quitted the game and haven't started it again so far.

items,monsters,skills etc...:

the passion to collect stuff will be satisfied, enough equipement to loot from monsters, alright.

there are also several ways of item customization, you can modify the visual appearance by changing the colour, you can modify the items themselves, etc.. ok.

there are also enough different character-classes to choose from, most of them should be interesting to try out.

but, imho there could be a few more skills to choose from per charclass, what I miss are skilling-trees you could mix with each other.. but, therefore you have more classes to choose from the beginning, each one has it's own unique abilities..

once you have chosen one or a few primary+secondary skills, you can modify them later by spending more items into them and you'll be able to unlock skill-spezific boosters and enhancements for them..

I can't go further into detail what HGL offers you and what not, due to the factors I tried to explain above I simply dislike HGL.

another important reason why I'm not going to buy&play it is, because it requires a monthly fee to get the full content.

it's called bonus contents, but in fact you just don't get the full game when just buying it and not subscribing.. well, depends on your point of view.. kinda ''is the glass half full or empty'' thing :4rofl:

it is possible to make enough profit and not to rip of the customer, Guild Wars shows how to. if they wouldn't make sufficient profit, then there wasn't one new expansion after another in stores.

I'll never support a publisher who want's more than 50 € per lifetime-license..

what's a common monthly fee for those WoW-alike games? 10 Dollars maybe?

hooray.. multiplied by 3x12 . now that's a nice sum sacred would have cost me up to now..

but, where was I.. ah yes HGL. okay, let me sum up a few pros and cons, for a better overview:

(there are more - these are only a few, which I find most important for myself

• + Sci-Fi look+setting, I'd like that.. all other arpgs are pure same old fantasy-blablah.. kinda boring
  • + runs quite stable+fast, no high hardware requirements
  • + a few new but not really essential features like 'shift'skill-assignment: you can assign skills to your shift key, depending what situation you're dealing with it changes automatically to a usefull skill and you can trigger by just pressing your shift-button

• - camera-view and movement, not suitable and adequate for a game that still wants to be an (A)RPG and not a shooter
  • - interface too large&confusing,circuitous access/management... a major design-failure
  • - still various and quite obvious bugs
  • - visual apperance, due to the random maps generated, and lack of better models/textures/effects > poor,ugly boring ambience
  • - constant, monthly fees for the 'complete' game-content, which could...*
  • - *...encourage a two-class gaming community flaming/hating/dividing each other

now that the Demo is out, everybody can try out what it's like.. it's kinda useless to try explaining it see for yourself.

like Dobs already said, either you like it, or you don't.

shooter>HGL<arpg .. somewhere between those 2 genres. whether you like it or not could depend what genre you like more, or what experiences with other games out of those 2 you already have..

my guess would be if you're primarily a shooter-fan it's more likely you might enjoy HGL

if you're more sort of a pure ARPG-player, you might find it too strange

if you like tons of eyecandy, newest 3d engine+effects at all costs, and wasting money for newest hardware - you're wrong in HGL

when you're interested in games with lower minrequirements, and don't need all the eyecatcher stuff, try your luck with HGL

oh, and btw, check Mythos...

now that's more howi like it, that game can rock.. and, it's FREE,

at least it's still planned this way (who knows what they decide to sell as ep-packs later.. but no montly fees, seems to be already settled)

it's still in beta, this week they just released the second big update, adding a complete new zone, tons of new monsters, redesigned skills, etc.... it's also FSS working on it, and has the same engine/server technology as HGL .

check for Mythos gameplay-videos on youtube or stage6... there's enough material to show what the game's like... pure ARPG, fixed 3D-iso view-angle

Edited by Rotluchs

I was just talking about Mythos with Voided and Masteff last night and sent them an invite to try it out.

I have a few invites left if anyone wants to try it out, send me a PM with your email and I'll give you an invite.

Must admit to not playing it for a while as it had bad lag issues the last time I tried.

Played around with the demo a bit, not impressed. GFX wise it's kind of like Sacred: the characters are nicely modeled but a lot of the surroundings look.. Well, horrible.. Also, the cam is not as much from a "top" view as I'd like.

OK collecting the items is nice but why do we have to press a button to pick things up? I mean, you can pick up gold by running over it!

Enemies: ah they were OK. Some just look like patterns pasted onto the model though.

Also, so many frigging hints at the start that totally lost track.

The interface is IRRITATING with those tiny boxes in which you need to put your gear. I had a hard time seeing whether I had a sword equipped or not.

Overall: not impressed.

It's the choice of weapons and possible mods that always had me going in terms of interest for this game. If I have some time tonight I'll see about downloading the demo...I remember reading some great stats on using weapon mods regarding shields for parties, single person...balancing all that with damage...good meaty kind of stuff I wanted to get me paws on.

:D

gogo

• 3 weeks later...

Having finally found the GBP subscription fee (£7.99), the UK subscribers are getting gouged! A year in USD would be $119.88, but if you're paying in £, you'd pay £95.88 (with a current exchange rate of slightly higher than $2:£1), that works out to be ~$191.76, so the UK subscribers are paying ~60% more!

That definitely makes me feel better about not getting it. And it should be easier to not get it in the future.

Using a current exchange rate, we "should" be paying around £60. And if you're going to argue that exchange rates change (which they do), the exchange rate's been hovering around ~$2:£ for most of this year. And banks (etc) don't charge that much to convert currency...

Yes Gogo, you don't have to play it, but you'll not get any new content if you don't. And there are several other limitations on non-subscriber accounts (like not being able to take part in the events (I think), only having 3 character slots, not being able to get the "Elite items", though I think they're "just" nice looking items, rather than uber-powerful)).

Can you imagine only having 3 char slots? With 6 classes to play?

It feels (Disclaimer: what follows is a subjective interpretation of what I've heard, may or may not having anything to do with reality) like you're buying a cut down version of HGL.

From a financial point of view, while I like GW's way of doing things, they would have to release >3 full priced (~£29) expansion packs each year to get the same amount of money from me as they would via the subscriber route (3x £29 = £87. 1 year subscription = 12x £7.99 = £95.88). And GW released their 3 expansion packs (plus 1 game) over ~3 years. In that time, HGL would get ~£287 from a gamer, instead of ~£116.

It sounds like a cut down version.

And I'm pretty sure I REALLY don't like this way of selling games. Subscriptions/whatever...are a really big turnoff for me. The idea of having to "rent" a game...yuck.

I just think there's better value out there. Yeah we all know that royces are expensive...but there's probably better value out there for the money.

The fact that there's a subscription for something that's just mostly a pvp thingy right? And for this they want to charge? Too bad...I was really hyped for this game.

:)

gogo

The fact that there's a subscription for something that's just mostly a pvp thingy right? And for this they want to charge? Too bad...I was really hyped for this game.

:3lmao:

gogo

It's not just/mainly PvP you're getting with the subscription:

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/46863 (the first one that came up via Google)

What you get:

12 character slots instead of 3

Hardcore mode

Preference in server queues (if/when there are any)

Ability create guilds & be officers in them

Access to subscriber-only equipment & "distinguishing Elite features" (not sure if this is the additional content or not)

Access to new content (apparently not to be released as expansion packs)

24/7 customer support

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ooo a friend just bought this and he says its great, something about montlhy patching, and I tried to talk abit about this game but I get the ''dont buy it, it's crap'' reply :3lmao:

The game just becomes boring all too quick. :(

:o you mad you (seriously I guess it a question about taste and we all know its like the *** split) :4rofl:

theres sooo much to do soooo much new stuff (and the 1.3 update is soon out) :3lmao:

and gogo yep I bought it and yep iam having a good time with it :whip::):BlobRed:

:gun2: