Dutch Stuff: Overlord!!

I wanted to give you guys something new to look out for, I think I'm going to buy this game it looks to be quite some fun! You can try the demo next week to see what all the fuss is about, the release is planned for June 26th.

"Taking control of a mysterious figure that has inherited the legacy of the long-dead evil Overlord, the player emerges near death from the ruins of the old Overlord's Dark Tower. Only the player's actions will determine if they will rise to become the new all-powerful Overlord; it's all up to how bad they want to be in order to succeed ... evil or really evil! With a dark sense of humor, the game immerses players in twisted parodies of classic fantasy stories and characters. In a unique twist, players will have control over an army of an army of Minions that will use their unique skills to fetch, fight and die for their new Overlord. Throughout the game players will actively control a horde of these gremlin-like creatures that will follow every bidding no matter how whimsical or life threatening it may be."

Basically it's like this:

You are the Overlord, a supremely evil being. Several heroes came to fight you and they destroyed your Dark Tower and almost killed you. It's time to restore your power.

You wake up in your tower, and an old minion helps you getting started once again. You will have to start forming an army of minions again, by killing things and collecting their lifeforce. These will do all the dirty work for you. Later in the game they become more useful because they pick up weapons and armor they find (note: if it's stronger than yours, they give it to you - they do everything for their master) and higher level minions will become available.

Interview with producer

Overlord Trailers at Gamespot

Video - site is in Dutch just click the video screen

6 Minion Commandments - #1 - Dutch site again, same as above

Pick your region and enjoy the official site

Ah yes, how funny this game shall be(hope so), a reverse RPG, you are the bad guy to kill the good guys, something as in Alice, that game that almost made me laugh out my stomach. At least this game will be something "completely" different, maybe they want us to feel sympathy for all the evil overlods we destroy in all our other games?>

And Timo, I've read something about it in the PU (power unlimited, #1 dutch game magazine) they had a nice preview and were hoping the best of it aswell. Now to wait two more weeks and two days for it to be in the Freerecordshop.

I hope this game will be good :) we need some better dutch gamestudios etc.

Sylph

well I have a theori sometimes when the grafic is smoking hot the gameplay is zzzzzzzzzzzz and when the grafic stinks the gamplay rule I only occanly have tried games that both had smoking looks and great gameplay.

hopefully this on willo do so

Hey timo, guess us dutch guys are serious about this game, maybe we can place another good agme on the map next to killzone which was a hit aswell ^^

• 3 months later...

Well, I just played (and finished) this game here and overall I would say the game is decent-to-good.

The pros vs. the cons:

Different than most of the gamse by the fact that you play the evil role. ----- On the other hand you enemies aren't good either. They used to be be good but now they're evil as well. =/

You control minions and send them to fight for you. There are 4 types of minions each with it's own ability. ----- Even so minions are more or less useless when fighting bosses.

You can be a "good" evil overlod or an "evil" evil overlord. :) ----- However this only impacts the aesthetics of the game, two spells, a couple of missions (nothing big here) and the ending sequence (which lasts 30 seconds anyway).

You can chose between two ladies to make one your mistress. ----- Again this only has a minimal impact on gameplay as well as plot development and you'll get a different 10 second ending sequence, woohoo. >_<

The story is nice and kinda enjoyable and it also has lots of humour in it. ----- On the other hand the plot is linear and isn't affected much by the player's actions.

The game constantly offers new and different challenges to the player. ----- Which is nice, however some things can make the game boring. For example in order to have the best set of weapons possible (which you will need if you want to finish the game) you need to kill a lot of enemies and the number of enemies you get to kill during the missions is far from enough. This leads to a lot of wasted time on farming. I calculated it and it would take ~4 hours of pointless killing to accomplish this goal. This was the only point during the game where I decided "ah, screw this, I'm cheating my way through this part".

So even though this review might not look that positive (it's easier to point out the bad parts than the good parts >_>) you should still try the game since overall it's fun to play and should keep you busy for a while, just don't expect something amazing and that you can play more than once. :D

• 2 weeks later...