Linux

Eleanor

I have never used it Eleanor...I have seen it though and it made my head bleed LOL I'm sure that some of the others here though will know more than me about it :angry:

Heard tons about it, have wanted to always rid myself of the microsoft teat, but have always been too lazy to learn it, :angry:

However I hear that some future dells are shipping with it...

Woot!

:P

gogo

I use it exclusively, and have been for about 6 years. Gave up windows years ago and I don't care for macs much.

For Distros I use slackware-current, Gentoo, zenwalk , linux from scratch and my servers use debian-sarge.

I'll answer any questions the best I can. :bounce:

--Russ

Number one question:

Can we play decent videogames with it?

:bounce:

gogo

Well almost any game that uses openGL can or is web based, wine is available for linux too. Unfortunately directX3d is proprietary (most newer games) so no go for linux on that.

But I was able to get Oblivion running on linux :bounce:

But you can always dual boot :bounce:

Edited by CompEngRJH

Im stalling ubuntu on my computer, and I saw the beryl project and I think its very nice, is it very difficult to install?

or which distribuitor do oyu recomend me to use?

I would definitly recommend the Ubuntu Distrobution (Feisty Fawn 7.04) It is a great distro to learn linux as it has many GUI tools that normally would be done on the terminal. It also comes with great driver support including wireless. Beryl is a little more difficult to configure because it involves alot of tweaking of your graphics. I would just stick with gnome for a bit to "learn the ropes" then move on. (In my opinion Beryl had some nice eye candy but was a hassle because it is still relatively new and crashed often while switching between my Desktops).

If you get bored of ubuntu and really want to learn the behind the scenes part of linux I would then recommend a stripped down version ( such as zenwalk or gentoo) and build a custom system. :P

Good luck and keep the questions comming. :P

--Russ

Yeah, I'm a big gentoo fan (stage 1 FTW!) and debian / ubuntu as well. I've been on os x almost exclusively now, but its pretty much linux anyway :P

the only reason why I use windows is because of games :lol: otherwise id would easely swap to linux .. however I have a dream about the revolutionary moment when _all_ games are easely emulated on linux :woot: . this wont happen thou, cuz steve ballmer will get :P

This is why any software I develop is open-source. (Long live the free software revolution). Almost any game can be emulated on Linux, it just takes some finesse. I havent come across a game I haven't been able to emulate yet. (unfortunatly sometimes I pay about two months worth of subscriptions before I get it 100% working) but any game is possible if you understand how to work within a unix/linux enviornment.

:paladin:

--Russ

Edited by CompEngRJH

how can install the flash plug in in the opera explorer to be able to watch you tube there, because I can only install the plug in in firefox :S

and anotheer question, how can I chat with a person and wath her web cam? can gaim do this:)

With Ubuntu you can install it one of two ways. First you can check the synaptic package manager under the admin menu and search for the plugin. or you can follow these instructions which involve some commands via the terminal. Install flash in opera (its not as scary as people make it out to be. :o )

As for the web chat and camera. Gaim should work just fine, although I have never used web cams before so I am just assuming. If gaim does not support the web cam features then you should search under the synaptic package manager for web cam and see what programs turn up.

hope that helped. :)

--Russ

Yes there are (mutella, QTella...), I just don't use them or know which ones the best. They have bittorrent clients for linux as well. I am sure a quick google will turn up quite a few results. :drool: