Drakan: Order of the Flame mod

I've been playing thru some older games due to getting new headphones and wanted to enjoy the experience of Drakan again. Out of curiosity, I checked Arokh's Lair for any information concerning the patches since the game IS buggy under Windows XP. I then ran across two mods that I have enjoyed. The first is to change the primary character model of Rynn(human) to a Dragon/human hybrid. In my opinion, Rynn looks much better(sexier?) as a Dragon then as a poor well-endowed human. If any are interested in re-visiting this game, either respond to this thread or send me a PM.

http://www.arokhslair.net/mods.html had the two different dragon/human model mods. I liked the Tiamat model better, but if you start at the mod page you'll be able to find quite a few changes. Even the poor ending was modded by somebody else. IF you have the Drakan game, I'd recommend that you play with this mod at least once.

I've gotten to the Islands part of the game, and wanted to post a nice screenshot of D'Rynn holding her Sword of Flame. There are about 14-15 levels to the game with the Islands being roughly the midway point.

DRynn-Drakan.jpg

If you're still following this thread Ari, I've posted three new pictures of D'Rynn in action. I just got thru another area(which is supposed to be the buggiest part of the game), and I do hope others may be encouraged to try the game. There is a variety of opponents in the game with different attacks, but I wanted to give some shots of the bigger and nastier critters you'll encounter along the way.

Drakan-Super-Wartok-Dead.jpg

Super Wartok - I prefer to take them out in melee combat when I can, but you can use Arokh the Dragon to kill them too.

Drakan-Arokh-Drynn-S-Wartok.jpg

Another Super Wartok killed on the Islands map

Alwarren-S-Wartok.jpg

Alwarren map - Yet another dead Super Wartok

Sweet! Oh Im still following! Thank you for the shots!

I haven't been able to pick it up yet though.. But hopefully fundage will open up soon so I can :whistle:

I should have more opportunity to get further before the next Sacred Kamikaze session, so I'll add in some variety to the shots. I'll add in some Knights, Mummy Mages, and Succubi(if I get this far, it takes a while to get to their lair).

BIG picture update this time to compensate for missing the first half of the game.

I'm STILL on the Islands map, and forgot how long this one is with all the sub-maps thrown in. I cleared out the Goblin Base, retrieved some special quest items going thru the Island Bell Tower, and finished the Tower Test sequence. Below are some pictures of more of the type of action you can expect.

Drakan-Dragon-Fight.jpg

Dragon Fighting

Expect to fight quite a number of dragons atop Arokh on the Islands map

Drakan-Knight-Fight.jpg

Knight Fighting

These guys hit HARD if they even touch you in melee

Drakan-Destroyed-Knights.jpg

Killed Knights

My trusty bow wipes these two Knights out

Drakan-Jump-Platform.jpg

Platform Jumping

Timing is Everything

Drakan-Two-Traps.jpg

It's a TRAP!

Goblin Base blade and spike traps

Drakan-Multiple-Mashers.jpg

Multiple Mashers!

Talk about a Super Trash Compactor! - One of the many trapped places in the Wizard's Bell Tower

Drakan-Room-of-Winds.jpg

Room of Winds trap

Yet another diabolical trap in the Wizard's Bell Tower. If one of those wind puffs touches you, you're dead!

Drakan-Drynn-Destroyer.jpg

'Destroyer' D'rynn

A certain potion affect on D'rynn - Makes her look like the T2 from the Terminator movie

At least this is not a picture of yet another Bell Tower trap!

Edited by DaveO

After finishing Wing Commander 2 and with some Sacred multiplayer server issues, I've been able to devote more time to going forward in the game and have more screen shots to share.

One thing I SHOULD have mentioned at the start is that the game has gore, but it can be turned off. A critical hit(random) does have the capability of taking off a hand or worse causing a creature to literally bleed to death. In the case of the goblins on the Islands map, you can sometimes whack off the entire top half of the body and just watch the torso spew copious amounts of blood before the body keels over.

With the late disclaimer, I've added a few more shots for enjoyment by all.

Drakan-Axe-S-Wartok.jpg

Axe Super Wartok

You'll run across a few of these guys and you either have a choice on running away or fighting them. I think you know which choice I picked :faerie:

Drakan-Axe-S-Wartok-Takedown.jpg

He's dead, Jim

Drakan-MM.jpg

Mummy Mage

These monsters like to shoot these energy and green skull attacks at you. If those hit you, it will take off large chunks of your life.

Drakan-Succubi.jpg

Succubi

These LOVE to shoot only energy attacks at you, and quite often the only way to kill them is with a bow using magic arrows which have a limited homing capability.

Drakan-Gimme-Hands.jpg

Gimme some hands

A tamer example of some of the graphic gore you will see during the game.

P.S. - I FINALLY got off that LONG Islands map and am thankful for them much more limited traps on the upcoming map locations. I am also looking forward to the Dark Knights that are coming up. These are like regular Knights, but they phase out from time to time and you can't touch them while in a phased state.

P.S.S. - I'll fix the broken picture links later. I created a Drakan subfolder on my Photobucket page, so those first few shots are pointing to before I made the subfolder move.

I just logged in, and have posted the relinked shots to the latest reply.

DRynn-Drakan.jpg

D'Rynn - Islands Map: Sword of Flame Glam Shot

Drakan-Super-Wartok-Dead.jpg

Islands - Dead Super Wartok

Drakan-Arokh-Drynn-S-Wartok.jpg

D'Rynn, Arokh, Super Wartok group shot

Alwarren-S-Wartok.jpg

Alwarren Map - Super Wartok

Edited by DaveO

For Ari's benefit and further fun, I'm restarting D'Rynn in a new save slot to capture those nice starter moments. I expect to get to the Islands map with this restart within a few weeks, but it will be a good way to do a pseudo tour guide of the game and post small commentary.

A nice big picture update for the first map where you start at. One thing I've noticed is that Armor Piercing weapons have a much higher probability of causing those critical hits where a body part is taken off. When I finish both games, I am open to selling off the CD for a small price as long as it gets a good home.

Drakan-Ruined-Village.jpg

Ruined Village

Your home villa got mostly burned to the ground with many of the townsfolk killed or herded off to slave ships

Drakan-Church.jpg

Church

This is just before the next cutscene that explains more of the background of the Order of the Flame and fills in a bit of the story

Drakan-Axe-Trap.jpg

Multiple Axe Trap

This is a pretty easy trap to just walk thru, but timing is important like all other traps in the game

Drakan-Boulder-Dashed.jpg

Boulder Dashed!

Some little Wartoks trying to hurt you by rolling a boulder. Unfortunately for the guy on the right, HE is going to become a victim in a second

Drakan-Arokhs-Lair.jpg

Arokh's Lair entrance

Edited by DaveO

More pictures due to message post limit. Part 2 of the first map.

Drakan-Lair-Trap.jpg

Nasty Lair blade trap

This is a very hard trap to get thru, but it can be done. Just expect multiple failures unless you want to turn on the invulnerable code

Drakan-Arokh-Asleep.jpg

Arokh Asleep

Apparently Arokh and other Dragons of the Order turn to stone when the humans bonded to them die. The second cutscene explains a bit why Arokh did not turn to stone right away

Drakan-Arokhs-Crystal.jpg

Arokh's Crystal

There is a dragon crystal you'll find along in the journey, and you put in that crystal receptacle and watch another cutscene

Drakan-Arokh-Fireball.jpg

Arokh's Fireball attack

This is the default left mouse attack for Arokh when you are on him. Along the way, you'll get attack upgrades though in my opinion the Poison and Lightning attack upgrades you get much later aren't much to write home about. The Ice attack upgrade however is quite nice and has a limited homing ability on the secondary attack

Drakan-Arokh-Flamethrower.jpg

Arokh's Flamethrower attack

Right mouse attack for Arokh. The range is limited, but NOTHING is going to survive its damage up close for more than a few seconds

Oh thank you for the gorgeous shots!! :) I really really appreciate being able to check so much of the game.

Its really got me needing this now! *Crosses fingers for freed up money soon!*

Another small update to this thread. I've gotten to the Canyons map and have done a lot of cleaning out there. I'm almost to the point of having to find a side entrance to a Wartok cave. Given my current pace, I will likely get to the Islands map and be caught up roughly in a week or two.

More pictures to get Ari excited, and let others enjoy them as well.

Drakan-Spider-Lair.jpg

Spider Lair

The big bugger spider can't be killed directly with weapons. The poor Wartok trapped in the web may be left there to rot or killed with Atimar's Blade(indestructible starting sword) to spare him a date with the spider(though he's dead no matter what, so to him it's an Ogre's choice - die fast or die slow).

Drakan-Sealing-Spider.jpg

Sealing Spider Lair

This takes care of the spiders, though if you check back at the Spider Queen she is still there in one piece

Drakan-Sword-of-Flame-Trap.jpg

An Axe trap when you get the Sword of Flame

Drakan-Flame-Ring.jpg

Flame Ring

This is a damage affect from the secondary attack of the Sword of Flame as well as the Fire Crystals you will find in the game. This is a very powerful attack and anything caught in the ring is usually killed quickly. The radius is quite limited, but I've managed to catch five monsters in the screen shot with this attack and killed them all.

Yet another update of D'Rynn in action. I'm currently nearing the point of the first Super Wartok and Knight encounters in the game. There is quite a bit of exploring and fighting to go before I get to the Islands map. As usual, several screen shots are below.

Drakan-Poison-Rune.jpg

Arokh - Poison Rune Upgrade

This is the first dragon attack upgrade you get. The primary attack is a poison 'fireball' that will do direct damage and poison damage for a few seconds. The secondary attack is a ricochet attack where the poison bounces off walls, and may hit a monster lurking where you can't directly attack it.

Drakan-Poison-Attack.jpg

Primary Poison Attack

Drakan-Drill.jpg

Mine Drill

You will need to find a key to activate the drill

Drakan-Drilled.jpg

Mine Drill activated

Drakan-Torture.jpg

Eww - Torture!

Drakan-Massive-Maces.jpg

Massive Mace Trap

Drakan-Botched-Trap.jpg

Botched Boulder Trap

A Wartok tried to get D'rynn with this trap but all he did was kill himself in the attempt

Somehow I thought the Grotto map was longer than it is. I just got thru it, and have entered the Islands map. That means I can continue with the first save and finish the other at my leisure. Six shots below to 'catch up' on documenting some more of the adventures D'rynn has.

Drakan-Grimstone-Generator.jpg

Grimstone Generator

Grimstone is a nasty rock used for dark sorcery. It also will drain the will of any exposed to it, and eventually they don't want to leave and die from the magic of the rock.

Drakan-Generator-Gone.jpg

Generator Gone!

It's not a very difficult puzzle figuring how to blow up the Generator, but certain surprises make it a bit of a challenge to survive the destruction attempt.

Drakan-Myrock.jpg

Myrock the Ice Dragon

You have to fight him to obtain the Ice Rune upgrade for Arokh

Drakan-Ice-Rune.jpg

Ice Rune Upgrade

Drakan-Primary-Ice-Attack.jpg

Primary Arokh Ice Attack

This is a more powerful direct attack versus Arokh's Fireball attack, but it takes more 'charge' to use and is a bit slow compared to the Fireball. It is a good attack to use against certain monsters, and quite good if you need the extra 'oomph' in comparison to the Fireball attack.

Drakan-Secondary-Ice-Attack.jpg

Secondary Arokh Ice Attack

Three ice shards with limited homing ability. Personally, this is my favorite Arokh attack due to its usefulness

I finished my first Drakan game today, but I'm debating on whether to post shots I took. I'd like certain things to still be surprises for Ari and others if they wish to buy the game. I DO recommend the Assassin patch for the final map. It has a better ending than the regular one which is a few seconds long and quite lame in my opinion.

Oh Don't give away the ending!! hehehe

I truly thank you for sharing so much of this with me, I really look forward to getting this and exploring everything you have shown! But do save me the ending! ;):D

The Volcano map is full of nifty things to do that IF I posted shots, it may spoil pretty important parts of the story. There IS a specific area that I can provide advice for when you get the game and enter that map. I almost was unable to complete my game due to a near showstopper issue with Arokh mysteriously disappearing. I was able to get him back, but I definitely believe that there is too high of a chance that this could affect Ari and any others.

• 2 weeks later...

After a bit of a break, I'm advancing forward with my alternative game. I've taken some pictures along the way, and it's quite interesting the little things I've missed along the way after the first run thru. Despite having played thru the game many times, I never get tired of it and I think finding new things is part of my motivation. With that out of the way, I'm adding new screen shots below.

Drakan-Mage-Meeting.jpg

Rimril Mage Meeting

He gives you two quests and administers the infamous Bell Tower tests. I don't know if it's a needed cliche, but the Tower is by far the most trapped place in the entire game.

Drakan-Water-Pattern.jpg

Wierd Water Pattern

This is right next to the Bell Tower

Drakan-Eastern-Achipelago.jpg

The Eastern Archipelago

This ship is on the Islands map, and it's part of the story. You CAN'T board it, destroy it, or land on it. It is a transport to the Volcano map though(much later in the game).

Drakan-Soul-Shadow.jpg

Soul Shadow Tuiri

She lost her dragon fighting the War Giant, Toetal. Apparently if the dragon dies first, bonded people get this fate where they roam as Soul Shadows

Drakan-Toetal.jpg

War Giant Toetal

This big bugger guards the Bell Tower Hammer, and he's quite easy to take down with Arokh's Flamethrower attack. In fact, he's VERY slow in attacking. You could kill him without a single hit, but there is a risk of a game bug if you do so.

Drakan-Lightning-Rune.jpg

Lightning Rune Upgrade

Fourth Arokh attack upgrade. After some experimentation, the secondary lighting attack is QUITE useful against Grimstone towers.

Edited by DaveO
  • 10 months later...

After yet ANOTHER replay, I found how good lightning runes are against those Super Wartoks. I've been having so much fun using Fraps for a different game, so I think it's time to take this one to the next level: videos!