The Forest Golem

As a run thru Silver near the top of its level cap, I decided to go thru and complete this last +skills quest with my Blizzard Wood Elf for Underworld. Two things I discovered: Special damages will get thru his defense, so that's an added way of bringing him down. For BMs, this is an incentive to collect the Amarri set since it has Secret damage which will also be unresisted by the Golem. Also, non-physical damage boosts to the weapon also have a big impact on how quickly you can eliminate the Golem.

This explains why direct damage to weapon capabilities like the Daemon's make the Forest Golem a walk in the park. Her Fire damage boost thru Infernal Power adds in fire damage to the weapon. In my opinion, it's the extra non-physical damage on top of the 'Almighty Toothpick' that truly makes it a decent weapon against the Golem. So Dark Elves with Testosterone would likely have a fairly easy time with the Golem too. This likely explains the difficulties BMs have with the Golem. He has high physical resists, and the weapon may or may not get extra sockets to get around its limitations. And since the BM has NO method of adding elemental damage to his weapons thru CAs, it makes the Golem that much more difficult.

• 3 weeks later...

Part of the problem with the True Fighter quest is that you can get that dagger exactly ONE time. Try to do it again, and you won't be able to do it. So since items upgrade as you go up in levels, doing this quest early is a very big risk. Combine the Fighter quest with the general paltry reward for doing ALL the links, and it's quite debatable whether it's worth the effort. Most characters can probably do the quest in Bronze or Silver, but beyond that point I've only tried and had success with my Gladiator(though most of my toons have a tendency to die around the Platinum mark, so it's not entirely fair to say only one toon will be able to do the quest).