Camera Shy? Pentagon Builds a Portable Lens-Destroying Laser

FdmNews

The "laser crazer" will be able to ruin enemy sniper scopes, night-vision gear and even binoculars at long range, using short bursts of high-energy laser pulses.

The Pentagon's newest laser weapon has a peak power of more than a million megawatts, so intense that it warps the air around it. When the beam strikes the target it vaporises the impact site, producing a plasma fireball and a highly destructive shockwave.

The end result: a tiny crater barely visible to the naked eye.

That's because the so-called "laser crazer" is designed not to burn up missiles or tanks, but to scratch lenses. It's a portable nonlethal weapon designed to take out enemy optical systems at long range -- ruining an adversary's night-vision gear, sniper scopes and binoculars in a fraction of a second -- by sandblasting their lenses with ultrashort pulses of laser light.

View the full article

• 1 month later...
hmmmmmm would that work with ummm lets say cop radar guns :)! instead of a radar scanner ... its now a radar scanner/killer :) hehe

hey hey there, that's naughty... lol. it would not work with my radar unit, as my radar unit does not have a lens... but say, my lidar unit, which is a 'laser gun' speed detector, that has a lens at which you look through and it tells you the speed of the 'perp' (I use that term very loosely)... if I can't see through my lens, I can't see that it's your car that my gun's detecting, thus, making the stop easily challenged in court. of course, you'd have to admit to scrambling the cop's stuff... also, does it work through windows? because when I run my unit, my windows are up (cmon! its cold in the winter!)

-Total

Hmmmm so this thing can scrath sniper lens, camera lens...how about scratching the lens of an EYE? AHHHHHHHHHHH the CIA's gunna laser our eyeballs....and you thought laser pointers were annoying, imagine the jackass lasing out the movie you're watching in a theater or ruining your expensive digital camera when your taking pics at Disneyland. Seriously they say non-lethal but how doesthe laser know to not disrupt human tissue? OK, so you're saying it's only in use by Pentagon/military and they'll keep it all to themselves....mmm hmm...remember when the internet was for military only and look where we are now...on a discussion forum using the internet about to be roasted with a non-lethal laser :D:)

If anyone needs me I'll be cowering under my bed with a flashlight and some bottled water.

EDIT: Just realized they may laser my flashlight...switching to candles.

EDIT2: Just realized candles may burn the bed down...switching to my childhood "Glowworm". I knew my old friend would come in handy again.

Edited by locutus
hmmmmmm would that work with ummm lets say cop radar guns :)! instead of a radar scanner ... its now a radar scanner/killer :) hehe

hey hey there, that's naughty... lol. it would not work with my radar unit, as my radar unit does not have a lens... but say, my lidar unit, which is a 'laser gun' speed detector, that has a lens at which you look through and it tells you the speed of the 'perp' (I use that term very loosely)... if I can't see through my lens, I can't see that it's your car that my gun's detecting, thus, making the stop easily challenged in court. of course, you'd have to admit to scrambling the cop's stuff... also, does it work through windows? because when I run my unit, my windows are up (cmon! its cold in the winter!)

-Total

lol I wasn't being serious ..... cops down here are generally alright with the exception of a few juristictions that are ... ummm a little over zealous with the whole going 2-5 mph over the speed limit .... generally they don't bother me unless I am racing and then I have been let off twice while being ticketed for illegal street racing once :D