Civ 4 Succession game II

You won't believe this another problem.......

My GPU temperature rockets everytime I play civ... 127 degrees... I think my fans dirty so its getting cleaned this weekend :(

Turnset coming up I've had a rather busy social life last few days so haven't managed to post it

Should be done in an hour

:hugs:

~Doom

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im sry to hear you still have issues Tim :(

But just pass this turn and let us know when you sorted all stuff with civ 4 and have time to play, no bigge :) I hope you dont mind as we like to have the game going.

Hope you guys don't mind my interrupting.

I have been following your adventures and conquests with interest.

This game sounds like a real blast to play. Its got my interest. :)

I have no doubt though that's its way too involved for me to be any good at. :(

Just letting you know that you have an attentive audience (even if its only me :crazy:

stubbs

Hey stubbie!! Glad you like our game and I really appriciate that you let us know :)

And it is so much fun! - civ 4 btw doesnt cost much as its "old" now *hint* :) Ohh, and never fear the complexity of the game, its stuffed with advisors and tips ingame and there are many difficulty levels to chose from. We play on noble, that equals normal diff I think. However I play it as it was settler (easiest) and the mess I cause during my turnset makes the game comparable to deity (hardest) for enci ;)

Anyway, if you do get a copy dont hesitate to join in on the fun!! :devil:

Im sry to hear you still have issues Tim :devil:

But just pass this turn and let us know when you sorted all stuff with civ 4 and have time to play, no bigge ;) I hope you dont mind as we like to have the game going.

I've done the turn its just the writeup hasn't been finished :) and also I need somewhere to host the save... suggestions?

:)

~Doom

Well heres the writeup

Turns:

1. Revolution

2. Refuse to declare war on Egypt (Alexander wanted it) and we are the largest Nation!

Civ4ScreenShot0000.jpg

3. Adopt: Hereditary Rule, Pacifism and Slavery (That combination would work well in real life ;) )

4. Montezuma Demands Gold; We Say NO!

5. Dai Miao!

Civ4ScreenShot0002.jpg

6. Music! No artist though :devil: -> Machinery (Though, we discover an interesting barbarian town on the second continent)

7. Gandhi has a golden age apart fro mthat nothing much.

Civ4ScreenShot0003.jpg

8. Hangzhou founded! - The border is small though :)

Civ4ScreenShot0004.jpg

9. Montezuma wants us to fight Russia with him... Hmmm lets see... No!

10. We help Peter by giving him Music in the interests of protecting the coalition

11. Tokugawa and Gandhi declare war on each other, Peter wants help against the Aztec, we say no.

Also we loose our elephant near Hangzhou

Civ4ScreenShot0005.jpg

12. Nothing Special

13. Code of laws for 120 gold and Construction from Peter, thanks Pete!

14. Machinery and we get a Great Merchant! :) Who is promptly turned into a great person.

Civ4ScreenShot0006.jpg

15. Dye for Silver with Mansa Musa

16 We send our new galley on its way to the second continent with settler and archer in.

17. Dye fpr Fur with Cyrus :)

18 Nothing Special

19. Dye for Gold with Tokugawa

20. Feudalism. THE AZTECS HAVE DECLARED WAR UPON US! (We immediately lose a worker)

Civ4ScreenShot0007.jpg

Halp!

:o

~Doom

Hey stubbie, good to see the cheering crowd :D

Ok, so Monty is after us :unsure:

Gantobury is under attack and its only reamaining defender is an injured Horse Archer. There’s nothing I can do about it right now. But we shall retake the city!

What I can do is build troops. At least Cho-Ko-Nus are in effect

1201944541187.jpg

Switched cities to military production except those which have already invested considerable amount of hammers to the current building.

Also: major whipping. Only 1-2 cities escaped the :whip:

Turn 174, 1140AD:

1201940647109.jpg

Gantobury has been captured by the Aztec Empire

And I seem to have forgotten who we’re facing here. It’s Montezuma himself!! So:

1201940651406.jpg:cry::cry::cry:

then :oooo:

Need a settler ASAP, before somebody grabs the open spot.

And on the very same turn

1201940649593.jpg

Move along, nothing to see here...

Turn 176, 1160AD:

Tianjin has been founded.

1201940651906.jpg

Compass -> optics

Turn 177, 1170AD:

A Great Prophet is born and merged immediately

Aztec forces are approaching Nanjing, its defended by the two archers I moved there from Guangzhou, the freshly whipped troops haven’t reached the frontlines yet. We can not lose that city too. Extorted some money from Alex :) and upgraded the defenders to longbows.

Turn 178, 1180AD:

Longbows owned Monty :P

More bad news, guess who is sneaking by the ruins of Gantobury:

1201940654921.jpg

Our whipped settler will be late :oooo:

Turn 180, 1200AD:

Monty has brought fresh troops to Nanjing, our longbows are still standing

Also:

1201940657703.jpg

We all know what it means. I know its not wise, but we have to do this.

War is declared on Alexander!

Turn 181, 1210AD:

Optics -> civil service

Turn 184, 1240AD:

Cho-Ko-Nus have finally arrived at the frontlines. Mopped up the Aztec forces

Also built a caravel, its sent out to discover distant lands.

Turn 185, 1250AD:

Alex needs our attention too:

1201940664953.jpg

mwuhahahaha

Turn 186, 1260AD:

Gantobury has been founded on the ruins of the old city. We can pretend the whole razing incident didn’t happen.

Turn 187, 1270AD:

Civil Service -> paper. I’m thinking going for liberalism and grabbing astronomy as the free tech.

Another Prophet born, he’s merged too.

Another fresh group of Aztec troops die at our city walls.

Turn 189, 1290AD:

The enemy has been spotted near Gantobury! It’s Montezuma after all, he just wont stop.

1201940672468.jpg

Also notice the Japanese settler, we'll need to put some cultural pressure on them when the city is settled.

Tech trading, extorting and begging for money.

Borders are reinforced for the time being, and most cities are building infrastructure – barracks, and some are finishing the buildings they were working on when I switched to full military production (iirc we’ll lose invested hammers after a while). However we should keep up some level of military production. If Monty sends macemen at us we won’t have an easy time repelling him. And if he happens to have ivory there’s no such thing as enough pikes in the world. Be very afraid :D He’s at war with Peter too, so at least we have an ally (not that he’d actually help us) And we have them at our side :P:

1201944539890.jpg

The military situation has improved btw:

1201940683468.jpg

We have border problems too, traded for Drama so we can have theatres.

Oh and we should sign peace with Alex when he’s willing to talk to us. And maybe extort some money too :whistle:

1201940676281.jpg

Oh and we can switch to bureaucracy and maybe to organized religion/theocracy. Military upkeep with pacifism costs us a lot.

1201940678906.jpg

Save

Wow WAR!! ... what a great turnset to join in on Tim! Finally we seem to have a challange... but why did it have to be gantobury :whistle: . And what a epic post enci :P !

My turnset

Ok, with the "recapture" of gantobury I planned to get peace with both Alexander and Monty. But only peace long enough for our armies to rebuild so we can have our revenge! I also want to discover the the other big continent so my plan is to use our caravel for that job. And build ...build ...and build :)

Turn 190, 1300AD:

Alexander has made peace with Hatshepsut!

Turn 191, 1310AD:

Paper-> Engineering

Turn 192, 1320AD:

Montezumas invading force take heavy losses at Gantobury!. Our Cho-Ko-Nu pawns those Jaguars! woot!!

1490_war.jpg

Turn 193, 1330AD:

The last remains of Montezumas armies are wiped.

Turn 195, 1350AD:

We made peace with Alexander and with Montezuma!

1490_montypeace.jpg

1490_alexpeace.jpg

but before that I managed to get Alexanders settler!! ..free worker!!

1490_settlercaptured.jpg

Turn 197, 1370AD:

A great artist is born in Beijing, now where to send him.

Turn 198, 1380AD:

Exploration of the isle gives us experience from a hut.

Engineering-> Guilds!

Islam has been founded in Djenne :unsure: ... oh well ..we have 2 religions, more than enough :oooo:

Turn 199, 1390AD:

Macau has been founded!! Yay, a fishing village :oooo:

Turn 200, 1400AD:

Mansa Musa has completed The Spiral Minaret :whip: ... one less wonder.

Turn 201, 1410AD:

The borders of Gantobury have expanded, we have marble!! Now what do we use marble for enci? :cry:

1490_greatrep.jpg

Turn 204, 1440AD:

Shandong has been founded, second city on isle.

Guilds-> Gunpowder

Turn 208, 1480AD:

Kaifeng has been founded, third city on isle.

Our army is fortified in Gantobury. I built theaters for our border cities aswell as courthouses. Beijng is currently building The Hagia Sophia, ..haha..well ..it was only 10 turns!! I sent our caraval to discover the new land. The artist is parked in Gantobury. Not sure what to do with him, sure we could use his 3g income but I though maybe better if we used him during one of our invasions.

I also managed to trade dye for 6p/turn with Hatshepsut and threaten both Alexander and Monty to pay us tribute and gold, 2-3g/turn and around 100g.

Civ4ScreenShot0099.JPG

My thoughts

With peace now we should start thinking about what neighbour to invade and also build the invasion army. With gunpowder soon discovered we might also want to upgrade defences in our cities. As Im a builder (if someone didnt know by now) I also want to settle our island to the south. Banking and spreading the religion will make sure our economy handles serveral new cities, either from conquering or settling. Ohh, didnt change our civics so feel free to do that.

And as my final note - build more wonders!

Here is the savegame

Edited by ganto

Yay for peaceful building :yay:

Take Serfdom too the +50% build speed is really helpful (I think)

1smile.gif

~Doom

Yep definitely. We have a lot of jungle to clear.

And I cant believe Im saying this but we dont really need to invade anyone :), we have lots of land to settle. And another empty continent is waiting for us. However we do need some military force for deterrence.

I’d culture bomb Hanghzou, the border situation is pretty bad there.

The capital is our best candidate for the Wall Street so be careful with the national wonders

PS: set the capital to grow :o

Ok, silly question, do serfdom and Hagia wonder stack? We get 50% in 5 turns now from the wonder.

If we are aiming for peaceful victory then we have a whole continent to settle! :yay: Not sure about the culture bomb idea though, the border cities are mature so dont think we will expand the border much. I would send him to the isle I think and use him in the settle race there :)

Not sure if we should build wall street in the capitol, my plan was to build farms everywhere now with civilservice and max great persons in that city.

Oh hell yes they do, I love the times when I have an industrious Civ with hagia sophia and serfdom +200% build speed *drool*

The building times are just lovely

:yay:

~Doom

P.S. Shall we nick that barbarian town? Could help cut off the inca! :)

Edited by TimOfDoom
Not sure about the culture bomb idea though, the border cities are mature so dont think we will expand the border much. I would send him to the isle I think and use him in the settle race there

Fair enough

Not sure if we should build wall street in the capitol, my plan was to build farms everywhere now with civilservice and max great persons in that city.

Wall Street doubles money income not commerce. While running at 80-90% science rate, the hindu holy building and 3-4 merged priest in the capital generate more money than cottages could every do.

Our income from the Beijing is already 53 gpt. Best commerce city is below 10 gpt. Now imagine spreading hinduism a bit more then double that income… :)

P.S. Shall we nick that barbarian town? Could help cut off the inca!

Hell yes! Grab every inch of land you can :yay:

Wall Street doubles money income not commerce. While running at 80-90% science rate, the hindu holy building and 3-4 merged priest in the capital generate more money than cottages could every do.

Our income from the Beijing is already 53 gpt. Best commerce city is below 10 gpt. Now imagine spreading hinduism a bit more then double that income… :drool:

old.gif Enci has spoken, so be it! bowdown.gif

Weee, vacation, lol. :)

This thread is getting better and better btw, so is that option to join in on the gaming fun still available? I wanna kick some ass too. :) (actually I'm more of a builder type but you get my point) ;)

Working now on getting a vanilla install of Civ4. (even though I'd like to play with expansions but oh well)

I'll post some opinions on the current game after I poke a little in the latest savegame.

Yay Indy!! :cow_white: Welcome!! :cow_white: Added you to the roster and as Enci said your turnset starts after Tim has posted. Poor you enci, another builder :drunkards:

Ohh... with this many players I think we should switch to 15 turns for a turnset.

lol so far we have 1. all rounder/warrior (enci) 2. One scientist and conqueror (me) and two builders...

Anyway here be the write up! :o

1. Nothing special!

2. Gunpowder and the renaissance! Great prophet -> Great person (Beijing)

Civ4ScreenShot0008.jpg

3. Nothing special!

4. Nothing special!

5. Revolution -> Serfdom Bureaucracy

6. Hagia Sophia :cow_white: !

7. Our artist creates a great work in Kaifeng! More continent for us :drunkards:

8. Nothing special!

9. Nothing special!

10. Nationalism

11. Nothing special!

12. Several attacks on the barbarian town fail.. We lose 3 Cho-Ko-Nus and they loose 2 warriors 1 archer and a crossbowman, they are left with a longbowman!

13. Nothing special!

14. Education from Hatshepsut

15. Banking from Peter

15. Another Prophet another great person...

Civ4ScreenShot0008.jpg

16. Nothing special!

17 Military Tradition

18. Alexander stops his tribute and refuses to be bullied into giving it again :cow_white:

Liberalism from Hathepsut. Ningbo founded!

Civ4ScreenShot0009.jpg

19. Liberalism for Divine Right and 500 gold from Peter... what a fool he is :D

20. Nothing Special!

Here is the save.

looking good people!

:)

~Doom

Edited by TimOfDoom

Argh, took a few screenshot during the game only to realize at the end that fraps didn't save the key I had set for taking screenshots, thus effectively not taking any. :drinks:

Well, not going to replay the game just for some screenshots so text will have to do.

1. Beijing completes bank, our empire's income grows! Production changed to grocer.

2. Nothing to see here, move along.

3. Economics research complete, switching to printing press. Great Merchant is born in Beijing, even more income for our empire. REVOLUTION.

4. We emerge from revolution with a new civic, free market. Yay, more cash!

5. Ignore this line.

6. Grocer finishes in Beijing. Our economy is at its peak, time to build some troops! The globe is built in Borisburg, switching to university. Kaifeng finishes Hindu temple.

7. University finished in Chengdu.

8. -yawn-

9. Printing press has been researched. Enough economic research, time to aim for some military ones (mainly rifling). In order to do so we start researching Replacement Parts.

10. University is built in Hanghou. Shanghai errect a new Hindu Monastery. Beijing gives birth to a Great Artist.

11. University built in Beijing. Due to recently losing all the tiles to the west of Shanghai to the Malinese our Great Artist decided to help us regain our culture superiority by creating some great works in Shanghai.

12. Shandong builds Hindu Temple and so does Xian.

13. zZzZz

14. Japans demands that we cancel all our agreements with Mansa, we decline. Egypt offers constitution for 870 gold and printing press, no way! That's a ripoff.

15. Universities errected in Guangzhou and Borisburg. We research Replacement Parts and start focusing on Rifling!

Bellow is ZA WORLD!

civilization42008020500pv1.jpg

Here there be drago...I mean save games.

My thoughts:

Egypt, Mali and Inca all have Constitution (the later bought it from Egypt most likely) which we don't. However Egypt is asking for a way too big price for it and as for Mali and Inca, I'm not sure if we should trade with them (reasons somewhere bellow). Egypt on the other hand has Astronomy as well, which they refuse to trade.

Now what I would do in the future if I'd continue playing: Continue building military units untill we get rifling, then using the vast amounts of gold we acquired upgrade as many units to riflemen. After that storm either the Incas or the Malis while we have the technological advantage, steal a couple of cities (capturing them entirely would be too resource consuming) then get them to accept peace. Rebuild forces and do the same with the other. This would eliminate the two biggest threats to our borders as well as putting us way ahead of the Egyptians. After that conquering the rest of the world becomes a piece of cake.

[..] Now what I would do in the future if I'd continue playing: Continue building military units untill we get rifling, then using the vast amounts of gold we acquired upgrade as many units to riflemen. After that storm either the Incas or the Malis while we have the technological advantage, steal a couple of cities (capturing them entirely would be too resource consuming) then get them to accept peace. Rebuild forces and do the same with the other. This would eliminate the two biggest threats to our borders as well as putting us way ahead of the Egyptians. After that conquering the rest of the world becomes a piece of cake. [..]

Is'nt world dominiation great :drinks: Love your plans here, only problem is the if part in the beginning :cool: .

What we need to do is decide what victory we want, I agree with early conquer if we are going for domination or conquer victory. If we aim for spacerace or any other peaceful victory we can hold of the invasion plans some and concentrate on settling and buildning the infrastructure and later focus on just crippling the other civs. Im up for any just aslong its not a time victory.

Edited by ganto

I'll try to grab the remaining open land –while raising some army ofc :) – so all options will be still open for us. Then we should indeed decide what victory we’re aiming for

lol so far we have 1. all rounder/warrior (enci) 2. One scientist and conqueror (me) and two builders...

somewhere deep Im a builder. Just a very scared builder :hugs:

I got picked on by aggressive civs countless times because I neglected military while I was building happily. And while my usual building strategy got boring on noble I couldn’t move to higher difficulties where AIs start to outproduce and outtech the human player. Then I just learned to be more selective about what I build. I only build what I need at that moment. If its more like “oh well, its not much right now, but later on it’ll be useful” then I just don’t build it. e.g. if a city’s upkeep is only 2 gpt, building a courthouse is not a priority. If a city is far from its happiness limit, a temple is not a priority. And it works great with specialized cities. A production heavy city doesn’t need marketplaces etc. It may bring another 1 or 2 gpt, but in my experience, Im better off if I let the commerce and holy cities take care of the financial situation.

Of course it requires identifying cities’ strengths and weaknesses early and developing the land accordingly. A city surrounded by hills may have a terrific production potential but without enough farms to support the population, those mines are wasted. And to maximize efficiency wonders can be placed accordingly too e.g. Iron works double production so for the best result it’d go to the city with the highest base production.

ermmm where was I? oh yes I'll play later today :P

update!

Played about 10 turns and we have something resembling an army at the Malinese border :devil: While Im not sure we can pull off a domination victory, grabbing a few cities won’t hurt. Any objections?