Sins of Solar Empire

Before I talk about the game I will say something about the game maker and that is Stardock. They have a long years experiance with strategy games most notebly the Galactic Civilizations series so they know there buisenes.

Sins of a Solar Empire cant be classified as just a RTS. It is more of a Homeworld meets Civ. type of game mix. This alone makes it something new on the market and even more then that something refreshing to play. The game is Space based[sorry you all fantasy lovers not a noter warcraft clone]. The scale that it offers is starting from single "small " star system battles to massive multi star system conquest scenarios. This alone gives a single game a long time to play even with the smallest pre start set ups[My first game took around 7 hours to finish]. The game has no single player scenario but it offers a lot of modes to play in and self generated systems and galaxies which should offer any strategy fan a lot of new ways to explore. The game interface is more or less standard RTS interface and nothing can be expected there. On the other hand the games AI and is top class. Plus the orders that can be given to units and pre set orders outnumbers anything I have seen before. As an example I will give this. A newly constructed cruiser can be pre given orders to find and join the nearest fleet in the planets orbit or lets say join the front line and reinforce a fleet already engaged in battle. The list of this options is very long and I wont waste your time with them. The ships that you have at your disposal to build a battle fleet are pre set in frigate, cruiser and capital ship classed. The last ones representing state of the art warships with many special abilities[in a way a hero type of unit]. The research tree is very rich with ways to upgrade military and planetary structures. What can be said about the game graphipcs well the best thing that comes to mind is me losing several battles while looking at how detail the ships look and how each weapons fire comes out of its canon. Last the game offers 3 races to chose from and take into battle. Here is the link to the official page Sins of a Solar Empire

And a noter last thing ;) StarDock has taken an open policy on the game giving players the chance to mod the game and even now mods for it are being developed like star trek star wars and many more.

Here are some pics. for you from ingame:

Max zoom out on a single star system:

maxzoomout.jpg

Single planet zoom in:

largeplanet.jpg

Fleet1:

fleet.jpg

Fleet2:

fleet2.jpg

FlagShip capital type of ship:

Flagship.jpg

Super Canon capable of crushing planets:

Supercanon.jpg

The future of CNN:

Broadcastcentar.jpg

Trade:

trade.jpg

Diplomacy:

Diploma.jpg

Research:

Reaserch.jpg

Renting pirates:

Pirates.jpg

it's a kickass game that doesn't even need Pixel shader ( it does support it I think) however the more enemies you have the more memory you need , me and my measly 512 mb can handle 1 and 2 enemies without much trouble but as soon as I try my hand on my first selfmade universe ( 2 stars 48 planets no pirates and 8 players) my game goes very sluggish. it halts for seconds at a time and really requires more memory than I have ( unfortunately) other than that .. this game ROCKS! I totally love my capital ships and the diversity of gameplay along the different races.. my personal favorite are the Vasari a warlike race that has the added bonus of being able to research some rather submissive things to get ships to be build cheaper.