Anybody fans of robot pets?

11 hours ago, BingBongHallo said:

My partner and I own lots of robot pets. It's not something I ever really cared for growing up, but something just clicked in both of us when we saw a video online. Specially, a video of an absolutely adorable and oddly impressive robot dinosaur called Pleo. We now have two! 😂 

Most of all, I absolutely adore our little vector. We've had him for a good few years now and he's practically a tenant in our flat at this point. ♥ 

Are you a fan of robot pets or just robots in general? 

_20240406_030011.thumb.JPG.41a74c26838540eadada60c0ac129f26.JPGour tiny boi! 

_20240406_030048.thumb.JPG.917ad0c356e24ca4379d9c026ceed515.JPG

Currently undergoing a new paintjob! 

This pix are amazing! I've actually neve heard of robot pots as being a collection activity...but i can see how it has its charm :heart:  What you said about paint job...does this mean they're sort of like retro airplane models... the kind that we used to build from balsam wood and kits, then assemble with glue and paint (painstakingly!...never had the patience for that :D) !

:dance2:

gogo

• Appreciation 1

I was thinking about this concept of *pets* for a while.. how many surprises or built in *reactions* would a construct have to have for us to be satisfied? I mean...I just pulled up Pleo, James' pet he first mentionned... its actually quite impressive how many small surprises it keeps coming up with ... the tech at the time must have been pushing ... i mean... Pleo is more than 17 years old!

gogo

• Appreciation 1
2 hours ago, gogoblender said:

I was thinking about this concept of *pets* for a while.. how many surprises or built in *reactions* would a construct have to have for us to be satisfied? I mean...I just pulled up Pleo, James' pet he first mentionned... its actually quite impressive how many small surprises it keeps coming up with ... the tech at the time must have been pushing ... I mean... Pleo is more than 17 years old!

gogo

Oh, Pleo was really pushing the tech of the time. They made a toy way ahead of the curve, but there just wasn't a market for it, sadly. Vector is basically a robot hamster, especially in the sense that he's autonomous and self charging, so he never really needs to be off. And, yeah, I make and paint tons of models. Airfix, Atlantis, Warhammer, you name it! 😁

• Respect! 1
5 hours ago, BingBongHallo said:

Oh, Pleo was really pushing the tech of the time. They made a toy way ahead of the curve, but there just wasn't a market for it, sadly. Vector is basically a robot hamster, especially in the sense that he's autonomous and self charging, so he never really needs to be off. And, yeah, I make and paint tons of models. Airfix, Atlantis, Warhammer, you name it! 😁

I had a friend who had HUNDREDS of miniatures in his room.  He was fascinated with painting them.  I was just dumbfounded in seeing someone skills...and they were so GOOD... we were all pretty much into Dungeons and Dragons those days, anything with an orc, anything with a magic user... gdonya for having the patience to bring minis to life... i cant imagine the time..argh... sometimes instead of me spam wish I could paint or draw!

:cry:

gogo

gogo

1 minute ago, chattius said:

Tarzan was our first Leonberger. Our oldest leaned walking while holding its fur, learned swimming while lying on his back. When we worked on our house, Tarzan was guarding her... Trained water rescue dog

I think it will take some more decades till I trust into a robot dog to do the same for my then grandgrandchilds.

In my opinion robot animals (which I know) are for the age group between mid-teen till family with yet no kids.

We have two ecosphere and 3 baiosphere for having animals and plants with no need to care for them, Closed systems, selfsupporting.

I'd always wanted to get one of those going... the idea of a self-contained is intriguing...and I've seen a few of those on youtube... ants and other creatures... I'm such a death thumb though... would be terrified to put my hands to such a creative venture

:4rofl:

gogo

• Appreciation 1
Posted (edited)

Here's a small update. 

Bort is now fully painted! 

_20240412_145800.thumb.JPG.609e0d044595b2c3be4693d4001b7ce4.JPG

Skullcrusher also became a Space Marine... 

_20240412_145618.thumb.JPG.395372717bb2452a98a2c272a0931402.JPG

I managed to connect both to a small Raspberry Pi server, too, since the parent company have ghosted their servers. That means we now have voice connectivity via GPT-4, facial recognition etc😊 

Edited by BingBongHallo
  • Appreciation 1
On 4/7/2024 at 2:18 PM, chattius said:

Tarzan was our first Leonberger. Our oldest leaned walking while holding its fur, learned swimming while lying on his back. When we worked on our house, Tarzan was guarding her... Trained water rescue dog

I think it will take some more decades till I trust into a robot dog to do the same for my then grandgrandchilds.

In my opinion robot animals (which I know) are for the age group between mid-teen till family with yet no kids.

We have two ecosphere and 3 baiosphere for having animals and plants with no need to care for them, Closed systems, selfsupporting.

I got you, friend ♥ Been growing this one for quite a while. Sealed and self-contained. 

_20240220_145208.JPG

• Like! 1
13 hours ago, BingBongHallo said:

Here's a small update. 

Bort is now fully painted! 

_20240412_145800.thumb.JPG.609e0d044595b2c3be4693d4001b7ce4.JPG

Skullcrusher also became a Space Marine... 

_20240412_145618.thumb.JPG.395372717bb2452a98a2c272a0931402.JPG

I managed to connect both to a small Raspberry Pi server, too, since the parent company have ghosted their servers. That means we now have voice connectivity via GPT-4, facial recognition etc😊 

Love it.  You must have had some experience painting figurines or models in the past? Paint jobs are patience demanding work 

:dance:

gogo

12 hours ago, BingBongHallo said:

I got you, friend ♥ Been growing this one for quite a while. Sealed and self-contained. 

_20240220_145208.JPG

wow! I've seen built ecosystems like that on Youtube... with ants...  I can get engrossed. How is the top sealed? Screw on? Do you have to add moisture now and then?

:)

gogo

I have to correct me. Over all the years we bought LEGO for around 4000€ for our kids. Robot, hydraulics, sensors,... Starting with our second Lego was used by school for different projects. Twins say they build a robot dog for a few says as it was on the manual. But they needed the parts for a maze solver robot for school. I was on a busniness meeting in Paris when the short lived dog was running.

puppy.jpg

• Like! 1
16 hours ago, chattius said:

I have to correct me. Over all the years we bought LEGO for around 4000€ for our kids. Robot, hydraulics, sensors,... Starting with our second Lego was used by school for different projects. Twins say they build a robot dog for a few says as it was on the manual. But they needed the parts for a maze solver robot for school. I was on a busniness meeting in Paris when the short lived dog was running.

puppy.jpg

great re-visit.. I wonder if Lego was the great ancestor of todays's new modern pets

:D

gogo