Cloverfield

I'm very surprised that noone here has brought it up yet...it's been the talk at work for the last month or so...I was holding off on seeing ANYTHING from this movie...reviews, trailers anything...and it payed off.

First off, you MUST watch this movie loud. If you're lucky enough to have been able to watch it in a theatre...being part of the mass of humans in the theatre is one of it's important appeals. Our reactions to terror, pain, death... all of this is amplified when taking sudden deep intakes of breath and feeling the kind of dread this movie brings on. The first time the explosions hit, and the lights go out, with the thudding of explosions in some sort of musical cacophony...I couldn't help but grin loudly and have my hairs stand on end. It's been a long time since a single moment in a movie took me off guard with sheer delight...but this was one of them.

The monster is awesome. He's freaky, weird, not like anything you'll see on this planet...he carries his stomach on the OUTSIDE for god's sake. He's loud...very loud. And strong..he can wreck the empire state building and more. He drops things. Scary things. And the things he drops are very, very vicious. And the effect they have on you after they bite you...well let's not talk about that.

I thought the hand-held camera thingy was going to make me sick or something before I watched the movie...but after a few minutes of watching (I've had plenty of practice with Battle Star Galactica) you get used to it and don't even seem to notice it anymore. In fact it quickly becomes one of the movie's strengths and is used as an important resource as the story plays on.

The actors are great. I thought they were believable. And when they cried, sobbed and whimpered...I honestly felt something for them. This isn't a silly Saw or Hostel...this is a movie that's trying to be real. They seemed to have keyed in on what we'd do and say when we're on the run and terrified... they did almost too good a job.

There is this one scene... that just jumps on you and you're wondering...holy hell, how did I get drawn into the middle of this! lol, it's when the military is running forward to attack the monster...the speed at which they move forward, the sheer loudness with the tracers, shells and bullets all flying... it's an intensity that's rarely comes off appreciated on the big screen and this time it's something to be savored.

So did I like it?

Hell yeah

Now...

Go watch it

:blush:

gogo

Yeah, I watch it too.

But I couldn't find anything to talk about it so I decided not to post anything :blush:

It was OK movie to me and nothing spectacular. Just watched for the fun of it.

If you want a watch good movie for the sound, you should watch "Across the Universe".

And another good entertain movie of this year is the "Juno"

Now please excuse me, I should start running before you punish me :D

:o @ Yarasa for making post while obviously drunk!

And...across the universe?

lol, what is that... some sort of...national geographic documentary?

:P

gogo

Yes, it is a documentary about, "How bad are the action movies lately" :o

I think it is my age which don't likes action anymore, or maybe I watched it a lot of them, nothings seems cutting edge to me anymore (other than "Transformers") :P

Edited by Yarasa

Ooooohhhh! I loved that movie ^ ^ BUT I managed to see it at a very odd time so besides me - only 4 other people were inside the huge room (don't know how they're called in English) and I was freaked out! I was just so paranoid and clutching the chair and thinking, "Why the hell did I come see this movie alone?"

At first I also thought that the camera-view will completly ruin this or just make it something not so easily watched, but exactly that made the movie feel so real and so close to you... made you see the movie in whole new angle. And I jumped several times after the movie on the street when a car made a louder sound or I was walking between huge skyscrapers :P

That is definitely a movie I want to buy when it comes out on DVDs here ^____~

So go see this!

Try hard to see it in the theatre before it's gone forever...and if not...the DVD's coming out soon... with tons of nifty goodies included:

http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_11178.html

* Commentary by Director Matt Reeves

* The Making of Cloverfield

* Cloverfield Visual Effects

* I Saw It! It's Alive! It's Huge

* Clover Fun

* 6 additional scenes (Congrats Rob, When You're in Japan, I Call That a Date, It's Going to Hurt, Alt Ending #1, Alt Ending #2)

* Multiple eastereggs

lol, ker...you know EXACTLY what I mean about seeing this movie LOUD. It's got to have some of the coolest sound edits around... reminds me a lot of the kind of stuff that Riddley Scott can do.

:P

gogo

• 3 weeks later...

Last night I watched it and as gogo said I will say it again WOW!

This is a great movie. The plot is nothing special but the way the story is written is perfect. Well simple said this is the est movie made in this style since The Blaire Witch Project.

I loved all the alternative endings they had for it so cool how they wanted to give other short shoots or better said clues.

P.S.: Gogo did you forget your post color come on man add the blue :)

I'm really hoping for the second one soon. I really liked this movie a lot. Unfortunately I think it has a lot to do with the director and how he "envisioned" it. The monster was cool, except for the end. I didn't like how they made it look....sort of like a goofy puppy dog. Thing is... word is that this monster is supposed to be a kid. Also, there was a lot of good sound. Kat, did you play it loud...I mean really loud? That's probably what really got me so into it, and the army scene was so intense, it was like someone dragged me right smack into the middle of a battle, I loved the tracers and the feeling that everyone there was running in to do their best...seemingly to no avail ^^

Looks like the beastie is invulnerable to carpet bombings... what's next, A bomb?

:)

gogo

p.s. Check out this trailer here...pretty cool, looks like the style of Cloverfield has already been stolen for a new movie. There's so many cool tricks that can be pulled off with camming...already looking forward to this one:

Quarantine

p.s.s. color restored ^^

Oh its not a rumor Gogo. The monster is a baby. Its all explained in the extra material on the DVD and how they did there best to make his moves be more of a scared new born and not of a predator on the loose.

All the scenes where very good to tell you the truth what really touched me was the main love story. How its was played and the hole double tape thing. Man when the movie ended I felt so crappy about how it ended and in the same time I clapped about how nicely the story was. This is a manly monster love story movie so cool.

P.S.: They are going to make a second one? I dont know I love how it ended I think its a great stand alone movie. But if they are making a second one the better make sure the main actors are alive. The girl was very hot. :)

So it is a baby!... Dang, I don't know if there's enough room on a screen for the mother! :) The main love story was awesome. And the ending was tragic. But I liked them for it. Hardly any of the original group survived, right? That's the world, not everyone makes it during collossal disasters, and I'm happy these guys had the courage to show it.

Yes, a second one. In fact, I had read somewhere that the second one was going to be from another group's point of view and would deal with different elements of the monster that was happening at the same time. I don't know if there would be the same interest, at least from my side, for a second group. I mean, half the story was about waiting to see what was actually going on. The ending from this one sort of takes away from any surprises a second version may have, right?

Unless they come up with new ones

:)

gogo