Lord of the North will be offline a couple of days

"dear" teenaged son hacked his system and most likely infected his computer witha nasty virus. (takes 90 minutes to boot now instead of 5). so we will end up wiping and reinstalling his system....

teenage son may not live to see the system restored.

ugh :devil: hope it gets better soon

well how I learnt my lession was when they bought me a ''cheap'' little laptop, I was so pleased and probebly downloaded all the viruses in the world. my computer turned into a slow turtle in reverse. after a while I understood what I should and should not do and learnt my lession and after another wile I got my first proper computer, witch got no viruses.

its rly bad my parents had to spend so much money to buy a ''cheap'' computer to me at first

maybe whip will go faster 4 you?

Good Lord

Don't kill him too many times Genenut, lol

And sorry about the downtime for Lord, I hope the reinstall goes well...that kind of thing can be tricky. It's happened a few times where I had to do that.

Wasn't a happy camper

:devil:

gogo

but kat teenager 13.0 is a permanently corrupted file so we cant reinstall . Only seems to be fixable upon updating to teenager 18.0 or higher by using the software fathersrightfoot 2.0 to install patch boottoass 13.5.

sometimes the patch doesnt work and requires multiple reinstallations/applications

lol Genenut. Ah the good Ol fathersrightfoot 2.0. May require several reboots me thinks. :3lmao:

Man... That boy has a death wish I think. Just one thing after another, lol. Really sorry that Lord is having to go through all of that. That's never fun having to re-install everything. Ugh.

Hoping that it won't be to long for Lord to get things straightened out...

but kat teenager 13.0 is a permanently corrupted file so we cant reinstall . Only seems to be fixable upon updating to teenager 18.0 or higher by using the software fathersrightfoot 2.0 to install patch boottoass 13.5.

sometimes the patch doesnt work and requires multiple reinstallations/applications

:3lmao:

Actually teenage 18.0 is a far more buggier version than 13.0.

The Mum&dad end-user Ver40+, had far more input into the operation of 13.0 than is possible with 18.0.

18.0 is more influenced by other programs that are nearer to its version.

Though I will admit that 18.0 is a definite improvement on the notorious 16.0. That version simply knows everything and all Mum&dad end-user Ver40+ input was immediately rejected.

stubbs

We were thinking of installing teenager 18.0 in his own harddrive... far far away from the prime one.... maybe in a military computer..... Then again maybe teenager 13.0 would work better in a military computer hard drive too....

woo hoo ty for restore points.... fixed the damage teenager 13.0 did to said computer ... might survive to upgrade to teenager 14.0 in January

Glad to here Mom

I still remember the day when xp introduced those restore points.... it's been a lifesaver more than once. Funny thing is with them...sometimes at the worse times they don't work... and lately with my comp really getting old and all, it's like the last few times I tried them they weren't able to do it.

I'm glad yours worked out for you...and even gladder the yung'un will make it to 14.0 ^^

:help:

gogo

Problems with viruses? There was an interesting security thread over at the Bethsoft forums...

Reminds me of my "Win98 on flash disk for generic kiosks" idea I had (and tested!) once.

It uses a USB stick, in an otherwise diskless workstation.

Here is how it works:

The USB stick has a Syslinux bootable volume on it, with "memdisk" as the kernel, and a 512mb disk image file, with a 'Vanilla' (no special data on it) installation of windows 98 SE, IE 6.1, Direct X 9 and friends--- inside a Drivespace3 compressed FAT16 filesystem. (The compression is very handy.)

When Syslinux "boots" memdisk, it allocates 512mb of memory from the top of the installed RAM, then patches the XMS handler space to report 512mb LESS memory than is actually installed (To prevent the OS from overwriting the data.) It then sets up a block device through the INT13 vector table to make the copied disk image appear as a harddrive to the guest OS, then passes execution to the disk image's boot sector.

Windows "boots" from the virtual disk image out of memory, and blithely ignores the NON-FAT based filesystem on the USB stick. it is now safe to remove.

Windows boots and runs at ABSURD speeds, (Disk access is a null factor now.) and it perfectly usable for basic computer activities. (Web surfing, etc...)

Permanent storage is accomplished using an outside resource, such as Yahoo Briefcase.

When you power off the computer, all contents of memory are destroyed, leaving no evidence behind. Forensic evidence of the USB stick will yeild no evidence of your activities either.

I made up a CDROM based version using ISOLINUX once as well, and used it as an "Instant Workstation" with networking support, as a backup option in case my hard drive totally failed, and I needed to get drivers or whatnot off the internet. Worked GREAT.

The "Reboot the computer and it is fresh and clean again" nature of this method makes it PERFECT (well,, DID make it perfect, before the patriot act...) for this application, because viruses are EASILY dealt with. Just trip the power in the room, and BOOM--- no more virus.

I had this idea, and I wanted to test it out, so I built up a test model.

It COULD be cooked up to be "Super Generic", with a generic VESA video driver, and drivers for an (in your backpack) USB WiFi Dongle, so that it could be used on ANY computer (including kiosks) with USB ports that you could encourage to boot from the media you attach to it....

However, the abuse of a kiosk in the way is highly discouraged. This was meant for kiosks that I would be personally maintaining, and the USB sticks would be checked out from the counter. (The systems have no HDDs, and cannot be used without checking out said stick.)

Actually teenage 18.0 is a far more buggier version than 13.0.

The Mum&dad end-user Ver40+, had far more input into the operation of 13.0 than is possible with 18.0.

18.0 is more influenced by other programs that are nearer to its version.

Though I will admit that 18.0 is a definite improvement on the notorious 16.0. That version simply knows everything and all Mum&dad end-user Ver40+ input was immediately rejected.

I've got my sister's 2.0 running a few rooms away. That's a bad version if ever there was one.