The Ruins

Based on the best-seller by Scott Smith, this little flick takes us into the south american jungle where four friends are pushed to extremis regarding their survival.

The question becomes.... how far will you go to live?

The Ruins Trailer

As it turns out for our crew of vacationers...almost too much. I liked what this film had to say about humans being pushed to their limits. And in fact, I was surprised by the turns the film took. There are scenes here that are definitely not for the weak of stomach and are absolutely gruesome. In fact, the only movie I think I've seen lately which was more gruesome was Wrong Turn 2... one of the slew of mutant cannibal movies that just got released.

The ruins has okay effects, and is strangely enough partnered with Dreamworks. Is this the beginning of their foray into the dark of our hearts? I also thought the idea of where the ringing phones was coming from was kind of clever, with the final scene of our friends making their decisions as to how to end it all entertaining and horrifying all at the same time.

If you're a gore fan, put a check beside this movie and check it out at your video store. If not, bring a big blindfold and ear plugs for all the ending scenes.

Good luck with the viewing.

:P

gogo

Ohhh!! I have to watch this one night! I'll absolutely check this!

Thanks a lot for sharing gogo! :P

Edit: wrong type of a smiley. :o

Edited by tomi

It's pretty gruesome Tomi...you have been warned! :D

I'm actually quite interested in the book right now, I've read some pretty good reviews of it across the net. Guess I'm heading on down to bin to see what they got for sale. The thing that's interesting about books is that you always get the horror full force... there's no way to lessen the volume, I'm thinking the book could really have explored more of what the characters were feeling, and the crazy despair that set upon them at the end.

This movie is really about despair, and our actions in the face of consequences so horrifying, that it make us do unimaginable things.

:lol:

gogo

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the double post...

Phehh! Only now I could watch it. Well it IS really gruesome. Not so scary, but gruesome.

Huhh! But it's quite good though.

That part, even though it was supposed to be for the good, pretty much brought up the sickest feelings imaginable in me regarding our latest batch of horror movies. Too much, too real...

When it comes to horror... too much honesty isn't necessarily a good thing huh?

:P

gogo

p.s. Hope you weren't eating spaghetti :lol:

Well, anyway. I think I haven't seen amputation before with a stone and a knife, so maybe the most shocking part I've seen.

Let me remember...............well...maybe...aaahhh sooo....:confused: (what am I trying to write here? :lol: )

Ok got it. That part was the most shocking.

Ok, now the only thing I need to do is watching the film with my mother. MWhahahah!

Edit: Ohh nono, no spaghetti. :P

Edited by tomi
  • 1 month later...

Oooh, having newly discovered how much I like horrors! :thumbsup:

I'll have to see this? Any advice on adding "atmosphere" while I watch it?

:unsure:

~Doom

Good question. I've seen a lot of the Saw movies, and Hostel... all were...laughable. Laughable because character development is so shallow, it makes it difficult to take anything very seriously. There have been some movies that have made me wince, cringe and cry out...Not Fair!

Jeepers Creepers was one of them... that ending stuck in my memory for a few nights...also the end of the original fly.

:D

gogo

Gruesome can mean a lot of things. With the newest spat of horror films all being released, levels of gore previously thought "unwatchable" by Eurocentric audiences are now regarded as being the "new thing"

the good gruesome...the stuff that sticks... is well-written story lines, with lots of content, and good character development. Making you care for characters BEFORE they slice 'em up is an art form

gogo

Gruesome can mean a lot of things. With the newest spat of horror films all being released, levels of gore previously thought "unwatchable" by Eurocentric audiences are now regarded as being the "new thing"

the good gruesome...the stuff that sticks... is well-written story lines, with lots of content, and good character development. Making you care for characters BEFORE they slice 'em up is an art form

:)

gogo

Yup thats definitely important.

You feel nothing for the characters if they are shallow one or two dimensional cut outs

hehe, I just realised an irony here Violence is more accepted in films across the pond in America and Canada as a whole than Europe, and sex is more accepted over here than over there. But Beowulf has a lower rating here than in America and Canada

~Doom

• 1 year later...
You feel nothing for the characters if they are shallow one or two dimensional cut outs

~Doom[/color]

Exactly. It takes more time and craft to put together a movie in that one hour and a half that makes you both care and get scared. A while back I had seen a movie called Wolf Creek.

That was, what I would call, a very sick movie.

It had spent about half the movie just letting us get to know characters. I hated them for that. When the finale comes to it's end, it's gruesom and there is dread, oh so much dread.

:)

gogo