New computers for S2

Silearth

I've been reading the threads from all of you guys who are building(or buying) new comps for playing Sacred 2. I won't be able to even consider that option until next year.

I am pleased to see that I will be able to create a uber machine without spending $10,000 which is how much an XPS configured to my tastes would cost.

So far I haven't really noticed the physX card in any plans. I plan to include one in my plans. Has anyone else considered the physX?

List of supported games is still really slim and some news said that nvidia bought that physX technology and will be on geforce 8 series and higher. Here's a press realease or something http://kotaku.com/5036015/nvidia-unleashes...eforce-8-and-up

This part was really interesting:

"By installing these drivers, GeForce owners can immediately experience much higher levels of interactivity, special effects, and realism on their PC. In addition, GeForce owners will love being able to run PhysX-accelerated applications faster on their GeForce GPU than on competitive GPUs. For example, in the PhysX-enabled levels of Unreal Tournament 3, the GeForce 9800 GTX+ runs 180% faster than on the AMD Radeon HD 4850."

I guess I feel bit sad now that I took radeon instead of geforce.. ohh well.

Meh, I've heard rumors that the GPU physics had quite a bit of impact on GPU performance.

But going for a PhysX card? I'd skip (for the moment anyway). There still is only one company offering them.

And,IMO, they're useless. They remain expensive and have not a lot to offer game-wise (most games don't use physics).

I haven't actually heard much about the phyX cards lately. In fact when I was buying my comp and inquired, the seller just said.. you've got an nvidea...that's enough.

And seeing what the little purchase can do...I'm convinced

:(

gogo

Well at least you inquired, gogo. So, the general feeling is that it's a waste of money and I think I'll go with that. I've seen them at best buy and thought about them.

My S1 system is gone and I am playing on the Dell. I'm sure you all know the strange story as I've talked about it plenty. My S1 box was an Athlon 1.1 while the Dell is sporting a 2.79 Ghz P4. The Athlon played S1 quite while the faster dell locked up even during the install. Of course the Dell has the onboard video while the Athlon had a Geforce(sure it was an older 4X 32 MB Asus V7100 but certainly better).

Now that the Dell is sporting the memory from the Athlon, S1 is playable--though it sometimes takes as many as six trys to get the game running.

I did some checking in on physx card when I was designing my pc and the nvidia card seems to do it all and since I have always been a big nvidia fan I will stick with the cards that have proven them selves over and over to me