Upgrade! But outta gaming

Timotheus

Hey gang!

I just made an upgrade to my system today - new motherboard (Jetway 966PDAG), I hope it will make my system a bit more stable. It's got damn good reviews, was only 40 bucks (stock outlet) and I can even run SLi now if I'd like to :)

However, I'm having some CPU cooling trouble at this time. I had trouble installing the heatsink. The temps are a bit high, not that big of a deal in idle but on load it rises up waaaay too much. I may need a new cooling solution or other cooling paste, but I'm short on time so it may take me a while to get back to gaming!

OK here's the picture:

in my old setup, the CPU temperatures would never exceed 50 degrees Celsius under full load. I installed all my gear in my new case and on the new motherboard, but saw my idle CPU temperatures rise up to 40 degrees, and when I tried a stress test to get it up to full load, the temperatures climbed as high as 70 degrees before I killed the testing program. I was shocked!

What turned out to be the problem? I did not install the heatsink properly. Heck, it wasn't even making contact with the CPU on roughly 80-90% of the surface!

I reinstalled it today, and I'm back to normal temperatures. That means I'm back to gaming as well! :P

Edited by Timotheus

Ah that's always the scariest part for me. Making sure that heatsink is on just right. Glad you got that all worked out Timo and grats on the upgrade!