Cannot Patch anymore - USB stick

Not sure if this is the right place for this .. but ..

I had this game installed, and previously I had patched all the way thru to the newest version and played for about a month flawlessly.. Also installed it on another computer, for use with multiplayer LAN.

Recently I formatted my computer, fresh install of WinXP Pro.. <also tried a spare home edition I had laying around, I get the same thing>

I updated all drivers no conflicts or anything, I install the game fine, but when I go to update.. the patcher loads up .. then gets about 3/4 of the way.. and goes into Not Responding... mode... and it stays like that, some people said to let it go.. 2 hours in and nothing, the first time it installed it took 30-45sec to get thru the first patcher,

Ive uninstalled.. cleaned the registry.. and re-installed about 16 times so far, trying different patch files.. I installed the UK version, so I tried the fix starting from upping 2.02 to 2.10 to 2.12.. and none of the patchers are working at all...

When I click to install it boggs down my entire system,I cannot run anything else at the same time.... I have a CPU monitor tool .. and it barely uses any of my CPU/Hard drive power to install... then it just hangs up.... I restart and try to load the patcher again, and it says "your system is already version x.xxx> .. so I start the next one .. do the same thing .. it locks up .. I restart.. and run 2.34 .. and it says files are modified or something ...

My system-

Amd 64 X2 4500+ dual core

3gigs of ram

7900GTO video card

fresh xp pro install on a 7200RPM hard drive,

Any idea's?

Hello there sirpennywise. Welcome to Darkmatters my friend. :4rofl:

Just off the top of my head as I run out the door:

• Turn off all security software. Firewall, Anti-virus and any others.
  • If the patches you have are older than a month I would suggest trying to download new patches. Start with the first download. Try the patch and if it works try the next patch that you already have. If next patch doesn't work download a fresh one and repeat previous steps. Same for the 3rd patch.
  • Don't run anything else while you are patching. Other programs running can corrupt the installation process. Especially since the Sacred 2 installation process can be very long.
  • Make sure you are in XP as an Administrator account.
  • Don't launch the game until after the complete installation and updating has been completed.

That's about all I can think of!

P.s.

The fact that you recently formatted suggests that you may have then recently downloaded patches. If that is the case there is always a chance that the patch you downloaded is corrupt. In which case downloading it again may resolve the problem. I'm suspicious of server 1 patches so when you download the patches from Sacred 2 site I'd suggest downloading from server 4 which is where I recently downloaded my patches and used successfully.

Thanks for your advice! After all this work and everything ... I unplugged the USB stick I had my installation files stored on... <<it creates a virtual drive of some sort so you can run programs directly off of the stick>> VIOLA! ALL of the patches installed without any problems...maybe that will help someone else that comes across this problem .. make sure you have no virtual drives or anything installed .. Guess the patcher is just that picky...

Thanks for your advice! After all this work and everything ... I unplugged the USB stick I had my installation files stored on... <<it creates a virtual drive of some sort so you can run programs directly off of the stick>> VIOLA! ALL of the patches installed without any problems...maybe that will help someone else that comes across this problem .. make sure you have no virtual drives or anything installed .. Guess the patcher is just that picky...

wow, just because of a usb memory stick? good info sirpennywise, and welcome to DarkMatters!

:D

gogo

No, he was launching the patches from the USB stick. At least that's what I make of it :D

Apparently, the stick was launching as a virtual drive, and the patch system (or Securom) didn't like that.

No, he was launching the patches from the USB stick. At least that's what I make of it :P

Apparently, the stick was launching as a virtual drive, and the patch system (or Securom) didn't like that.

I'd never have thought this kind of a setup could have been a challenge for the game...then again, sometimes it seems like Sacred 2 forces the most out of computers regarding bugs. sirpennywise, have you posted this at the SIF? Maybe this could help others there as well.

:)

gogo