Dual Wield Plus Sword tactics?

Hi and welcome

As Erling said Dual Wield will override any other weapon skill when you have 2 weapons equipped. If you take Sword Lore, for example, and just put one point in it to unlock some sword mods, remember starting around level 70 some mods will require Sword Mastery (75 skill points in Sword Lore). IMO that's a lot of points just to unlock a few mods. Many excellent swords have no prerequisite for the mods found on them. So when I take DW I never take another weapon lore.

In my opinion this dual wielding has been added rather poorly in this game.

Dual wielding should be supporting skill with another weapon skill (hafted/sword) not overriding.

without dual wielding skill penalties would be huge and without focusing skill there would be penalties for using a weapon type.

Sacred 2 has 200 levels and enough skill points to do that.

Actually, I'm beginning to think that those 200 levels and 921 points may not be enough :)

My opinion is that dual wielding is a nice addition, because picking too many similar skills may hurt a character. Besides, if you want sword lore, you can always go sword+shield and still do some extensive damage - but that depends on you build, of course. I personally like the idea how 1-hand weapon damage scales compared to the dual wield. However, dual wield is both utility (you can use it for 2 staves for faster cast for example) and useful - you don't need to put points into specific weapon lore - just use anyhting you get your hands on. That sort of saves you the irritation of picking sword lore, and for example, get a hafted weapon drop with godly death blow and other cool modifiers that you can't use.

Personally I think that there should not be a total overide, but at the same time a fighter with dual wield + sword style should not be twice as good as a fighter without.

I think it would be cool if dual wield modified all weapons and was not a waste to take both. Then they should have two handed style for those who fight two handed. And sword and shield for those who do that. They could even make single handed style that works with dexterity (short) weapons that give a chance you will use your opposite hand to grapple them and make some deadly move (it would actually have to be pretty powerful to overcome the natural crappiness of daggers)....Long weapons wouldn't work as well with that maneuver actually it should probably only work to help daggers and short swords not suck so bad...I can't see grappling work to well with non-pointy or long weapons.

If they did that they would probably need something to help caster/melee types who suffer from too few skill choices to support both aspects. I haven't played the game too much but so far the only thing I see supporting multiple aspects is having multiple buffs and having powerful arts on different timers. Maybe there should be something equivalent to tactics lore .... gish lore that does something? And caster lore that helps pure casters? I'm not sure if I am right in thinking it hard to have 2 aspects but it seems that the golden level when you have skills supporting both is really high!

Maybe caster Lore could be similar to concentration and be like tactics lore to the casting aspects only %damage/crit. Then gish lore could modify all casting AND melee aspects but be spread between all of them thus diluting its worth to pure builds.

I also think there should be a non-standard (not MP) mode more for people experimenting...It should give you 1 free general skill and 1 free skill in any category once you have mastery of one skill in that category (so if you have mastery of an offensive skill you can take an extra offensive skill and defensive defensive always with the option to wait untill what you want opens up)..

Edited by claudius

Well, if dual wield would open the modifiers for weapons, then I guess it may have well be overpowered and everyone would go for it rather than stick with a one-handed weapon :)

The best tactic would be to take into consideration the +skill bonuses, then pump Sword Weapons until you have it at skill level 250 (required to reach maximum bonus on unlockable mods).

If you can equip enough +skill gear to reach skill level 250, you only need 1 hard skill point in it. Skill bonuses will even unlock bonuses that require Sword Mastery, so you technically don't need to add many points in it.

Dual Wield and Sword Weapons is an insanely powerful combination. I want to make such a char :)

Actually, I'm beginning to think that those 200 levels and 921 points may not be enough :)

My opinion is that dual wielding is a nice addition, because picking too many similar skills may hurt a character. Besides, if you want sword lore, you can always go sword+shield and still do some extensive damage - but that depends on you build, of course. I personally like the idea how 1-hand weapon damage scales compared to the dual wield. However, dual wield is both utility (you can use it for 2 staves for faster cast for example) and useful - you don't need to put points into specific weapon lore - just use anyhting you get your hands on. That sort of saves you the irritation of picking sword lore, and for example, get a hafted weapon drop with godly death blow and other cool modifiers that you can't use.

I'm not sure what you meant there with your first sentence, care to elaborate on what you meant? You can master all of your skills and still have plenty of left-overs to pump up your primaries.

My understanding is that you have 921 total skill points to distribute if you go all the way to level 200, unless my math is off :tongue: I'm not taking into account the + all skills items here. Generally, you can always get 75 points (or more) in a skill for the mastery and then just go for +allskills equipment all the way and it may go well over 200 points in it.

I think not, but as cthulhu said (in the ilgard's set topic), it's quite possible that there is a skill rollover after you go over 255. Let's hope, for the sake of all of us, that he's wrong... But I have a strange feeling that he may easily be right. While programming, unless you force a program to accept 255 as maximum value, even if the total sum exceeds 255, it will do a rollover, starting at, as once again cth8ulhu pointer out at (Value) - 255. So 255 is 0, 256 is 1 and so on, and so forth.