The woes of the Keyboard

Silearth

I'm searching for the perfect keyboard that won't break the bank.

As you know, I recently slapped together a new system. The keyboard, having shipped separately from the rest of the system, arrived yesterday.

So with great joy did I rush home to behold the beauty that is the Microsoft 4000. And a few short hours later did I fill out an online RMA form with great disdain.

The keys are too mushy, and several of the keys did not seem to want to work unless pressed harder than their brothers and sisters. It's kind of a pain to have to remember to press the n, q, u.... keys extra hard when I am working on developing a story or typing out the minutes to a meeting.

I still have the keyboard we bought for the dell--it is a Micro Innovations media keyboard the wife bought from Walmart. In a pinch I can get used to this one, but the keys always feel like they are going to refuse to press.

Remember quality keyboards from years ago? Mechanical keyswitches. Just the right amount of give. And the click.

I used to spend at least 30 minutes at Fry's trying out each keyboard until I found one that suited me. Now it's so hard to find something in my price range that is not crap.

So what keyboards are you using? Is it MR. right or MR. just good enough?

Remember quality keyboards from years ago? Mechanical keyswitches. Just the right amount of give. And the click.

I go for ebay for old style keyboards. I bought so many of them, and so far I can't complain. All were used keyboards, but they still working better than any cheap keyboard you could get in local stores. I am still using one of them and I am very happy with it.

Here's mine Silearth. I've never had a better keyboard. 4 years old and going strong. :D Saitek seems to make good stuff for us gamers. It's a gaming keyboard but typing is very easy. Just the right amount of pressure for me.

http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/saitek_pc_ga...ard/index.shtml

http://www.thetechlounge.com/articles.php?id=202

And you can buy one at NCIX.com

I use a logitech wave keyboard, the keys "click" and its comfy. It holds up to playing on sacred and guildwars and such even with mashing the keys. Todd and I both have this keyboard and love it. my recent problems with certain keys not working was resolved by prying certain keys off and removing the crumbs that had accumulated under them :D ...

We also have an old MS natural keyboard thats about 10 yrs old and other than several keys having had thier letters worn off the surface of the keys it still works like it did out of the box 12 years ago...

I cant stand a straight keyboard , my wrists dont bed that way naturally ... I even got work to get me a split keyboard. my wrists dont hurt after working any more... Its branded "corporate express" but I suspect its a stripped version of a ms natural keyboard since it has keys labeled "word" "excel" and "power point" and other brands wouldnt call them that just simply " work processor" " spreadsheet" , etc ... it works great too , except for the static elec in the office that zaps the keyboard regularly making the usb port think its asleep but thats not the keyboards fault.

Thank you for all the great advice.

Going to have to consider everything. Truth is, I don't know why I ordered this keyboard--I read all the reviews and it just sounded like a piece of crap. And then I went and ordered the thing anyway.

Newegg did have a Saitek keyboard for close to what I paid for my turkey. The thing is it looks so strange to me, and I was really looking for an ergonomic keyboard.

boy oh boy, don't get me goin on keyboards.... Last one I paid for cost me more than a hundred bux...where is it now... gathering dust :)

That last one I bought had all the bells and whistles...but it was so huuuuuuuuuuge. I finally gave it up. I went back to an old dell keyboard that is pretty tight keys, and has these amazingly responsing clickey clack noises ^^

dell_keyboard.jpg

Out with the new and back in with the old?

You betcha

:)

gogo

p.s. If you want to get your hands on a very very sweet little board though, take a look at this one by Dell.

dell-keyboard-cropped-DJ331.jpg

We have it at work. I work for California Deaf Relay services, and we have to type pretty fast, in excess of 60 WPM to just maintain status as "official".

This dell keyboard types so fast, so soft, and your fingers hardly ever move when typing on it, it makes typing a joy.

Cheers and gluck with the purchase.

gogo

boy oh boy, don't get me goin on keyboards.... Last one I paid for cost me more than a hundred bux...where is it now... gathering dust :)

That last one I bought had all the bells and whistles...but it was so huuuuuuuuuuge. I finally gave it up. I went back to an old dell keyboard that is pretty tight keys, and has these amazingly responsing clickey clack noises ^^

dell_keyboard.jpg

Out with the new and back in with the old?

You betcha

gogo

p.s. If you want to get your hands on a very very sweet little board though, take a look at this one by Dell.

dell-keyboard-cropped-DJ331.jpg

We have it at work. I work for California Deaf Relay services, and we have to type pretty fast, in excess of 60 WPM to just maintain status as "official".

This dell keyboard types so fast, so soft, and your fingers hardly ever move when typing on it, it makes typing a joy.

Cheers and gluck with the purchase.

gogo

Lol on the Dell keyboard. After I ordered my system from Newegg, I ordered a referb Dell Optiplex GX270 for the kids.(Still kind of mad the kids ended up with XP Pro while I'm stuck with home) The Dell came with the second keyboard in your post. I'm typing on it right now.