Ideas on increasing chance to hit for Ranged Temple Guardian?

Just made my first one last night, and got him to level fifteen...what a mess lol. TG is so complex, lovely mechanics...but his tree is getting in the way for what I want to make him do.

I'm looking to have his left click gun going as ranged, with Amplifying Discharge running as hit right hand big boom gun which I want to get to spam capacity. I love the way both work concurrently and want to stick to that. Thanks to everyone who gave me some insight.

Intelligence mods the right gun (CA) , while damage rings mod the left gun, right? With damage to both sides coming from different parts of the build...this is starting to look complicated.

I finally decided that I think I'm going to put points into Dex only..and maybe some into Stamina...but I need to know how to increase his chance to hit.

It's awful, and I'm fully missing half the shots. Damage is decent...but only when it lands. Had to choose ranged to get the left gun hitting okay, and I keep adding points to it...but I feel like I'm missing a CA or something that will give him that boost. Now in retrospect, I'm thinking I will choose Speed Lore to get the ATtack...but is there anything else that affects his chance to hit Ranged with the left gun?

:)

gogo

I think the left gun is going to hit more often with dex (minor) and str (major). I think the mod for battle alert will affect ranged, but not the basic buff.

Finally I think thats the wrong thing taking ranged. It will only work if you have a ranged weapon equipped and then it will fire the ranged weapon instead of the arm cannon. You should take sword or hafted which will increase the arm cannon (left click) rate of fire (proven) and attack (unproven).

Of other note some pure arm cannon players have been frustrated with that setup (hafted or sword) because sometimes the character accidentally closes with the enemy. Particularly against bosses which is lethal.

Tip of the day: If you put battle extension second in a combo it will fire multiple bursts with the arm cannon :D Of course only if the first CA in the combo allows (when it is the selected CA not in a combo eg battle extension itself converts the arm cannon into an extension and you cannot fire the arm cannon) arm cannon fire (expirement).

Edited by claudius

Great information, Claudius, thank you. Okay I'll restart the build tomorrow when I get home from work. Can you confirm for me please whether Combat Alert modifies the chance to hit for the left click attack if it is ranged...meaning a pistol?

And another question...Ranged Lore will mod left click as you say ... and the only dif between that and choosing sword/hafted lord is that sword/hafted will also give us the opportunity to use a sword/hafted weapon as well as a ranged weapon ?

Thanks!

:D

gogo

I cannot confirm but I think the bronze mod to combat alert will affect ranged fire. The base skill will not according to my sigma. I took the bronze mod as defense so I can't tell for sure.

The ranged skill will only work with a ranged weapon equipped. If you have a ranged weapon equipped = pistol then you will fire the pistol instead of the arm cannon independent of the battery.

If you take hafted or sword. When you are near you will swing your sword. When far arm cannon. The sword lore definitely (according to posts read) increases rate of arm cannon fire, but I don't think anyone has studdied % hit affect (ie attack rating). I would speculate sword lore increases arm cannon attack too.

Cool. I love this. A lot of undiscovered stuff which delights me. Okay I'll give that CA a try, and see if it really affects chance to hit on the left click. I'll test tomorrow and see if helps or not. I'm pretty sure in tool tip though that it was saying that Attack was being given only for close combat weapons.

But...if it affects ranged, I think we're in business.

I'm going exclusively ranged and Area of Effect with this build, so that Chance to Hit is nigh important.

gogo

Cool. I love this. A lot of undiscovered stuff which delights me. Okay I'll give that CA a try, and see if it really affects chance to hit on the left click. I'll test tomorrow and see if helps or not. I'm pretty sure in tool tip though that it was saying that Attack was being given only for close combat weapons.

But...if it affects ranged, I think we're in business.

I'm going exclusively ranged and Area of Effect with this build, so that Chance to Hit is nigh important.

gogo

Are you wearing items that in some manner cut down on the enemy's chance to evade? That's something that can have almost a one to one ratio for increasing your percentage chances of hitting.

Are you wearing items that in some manner cut down on the enemy's chance to evade? That's something that can have almost a one to one ratio for increasing your percentage chances of hitting.

Excellent question Mystic. Funny thing is, all those anti evasion mods v.s. enemies are tremendously more effective v.s. enemies than any sort of Attack Ring via levels or percentage that I've ever found so far.

Guess what I'm trying to shop for now btw.

gogo

Only the Attack mod on Battle Aura/Combat Alert affect ranged weapons, though the arm-cannon is different. If you're wielding a melee weapon you'll get the full attack bonus from Battle Aura/Combat Alert (regardless of mods used).

Nope, the opponent's chance to evade mods are effective from Bronze, but they're most effective against bosses.

Speed Lore would help as well Gogo, since it adds +%.

IIRC, the Attack mod will add ~50% of the value that Combat Alert/Battle Aura is giving to melee to all weapons. So if the CA is giving +100% to melee, the Attack mod will give +50% to all (for a total of +150% for melee weapons & +50% for ranged).

The Combat Alert does not seem to be increaseing my chance to hit for the pistol I have placed within my socket

...I check this by using the "C" key. I can socket lots of Attack in my sockets and can easily shoot up my chance to hit.

But Combat Alert, while it will increase my def percentage is not increaseing my chance to hit with ranged.

Is there something I'm not doing? Is it because I'm still at the point where I've picked no mods for this CA yet, that it's not affecting my pistol's chance to hit?

:P

gogo

Is there something I'm not doing? Is it because I'm still at the point where I've picked no mods for this CA yet, that it's not affecting my pistol's chance to hit?

Yes Gogo, as the CA description (& the Sigma tooltip) says, an unmodded Combat Alert will only affect melee weapons, to get any bonus for ranged weapons, you'll need to take the bronze Attack mod.

http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?s=...t&p=6834892

After having lengthy discussions with the devs, this is the way it's supposed to be.

wow

it's like they don't wanna make a TG easy. Okay, I'm gonna have to trudge through. I gotta say, he's a bit dreary compared to my new uber darlin... :)

And, all these misses at low levels is disheartening...

must... slog...through...

must... try... to... like...temple...guardian...

:o

gogo

I'm at the point where I get to add my first mod to Combat Alert...but I don't see a mod called Attack. Can you tell me which of the following it is:

* Assault - Adds an attack bonus to all weapons. (20% + 5% per CA level increased attack value / 50% increase from base value)

* Barricade - Doubles defensive bonus. (20% + 5% per CA level increased defense value / 100% increase from base value)

thanks!

gogo

heh, met Viper in game and he said it's actually called Assault. So clicked it and tested...ayup...increase chance to hit.

that's an awful tooltip btw.

I'll edit the wiki's info to make it more clear.

gogo

If you pick Ranged Weapons, you'll be able to use guns better & since this is a ranged TG, that would probably a good idea.

I've got a Temple Gun-dian build here, and here, in fact!

One thing I will suggest that you try Gogo, go to the GarColossus, stand on one of the bridges (so you can see the GC) & kill it from a bridge (either of the two bridges over it's pit will do).