Sacred 2 - Easter Eggs or External pop-culture references

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked Schot about this, and he is kind of saying as well, that the stone set up doesn't make him think of stone henge that much either. If we're trying to feel reference from this, I would say that for the majority of peeps looking at it, we'd all first have to have it in our minds the fact that it's a related to stone henge, and I don't think we have decorum on this so far. Maybe, if another reference pops up somewhere in game, there could be enough here to make the connection stronger, just got get at least one agreed upon connection to a reference.

:)

gogo

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder how much the international versions differ from the english ones:

My daughter found a statue with a strange writing of Daniel Düsentrieb (= Gyro Gearloose?), mentioning that he discovered something when a whole appletree fall on his head (gravitation by Newton was just an apple).

In Ruka there is the Sacred_2:Doctor_Muchthink quest. The german name is "Doktor Eisenbarth". Johann Andreas Eisenbarth (=Ironbeard) was a very talented surgeon in his time but he traveled with a sort of circus. There is a well known german folk song about him which is often song by students in medicine when they are drunk (married to a doctor I know the song too well). The song was probably done by other doctors who were far behind his techniques. The singable english translation (more in in the sense of the song, not the words) is like this:

170px-DBP_1977_953_Johann_Andreas_Eisenbarth.jpg

DOCTOR IRONBEARD

I am old Doctor Ironbeard,

Tol de-rol de-rol lol la.

If ever of the man you'v (sic) hear,

Tol de-rol de-rol lol la.

Can quickly make a blind man talk,

Tol de rol de rol lol la.

And that the deaf begin to walk.

Tol de rol de rol lol la.

[similarly:]

I drove ten cartloads heavy stones...

From the body of old Mrs. Jones....

The last her gravestone also came....

She is since then no longer lame....

There was a man in Diddledum....

I gave him five pounds opium....

He slept ten years in easy rest...

And is as yet with snoozing blest....

That is the way I cure the sick....

My med'cines operate quite quick....

I cut and shoot and this and that...

And therefore wear a doctor's hat....

A woman had a wane, I found....

It weighed exactly 100 pound....

I choked her with a hempen cord...

Which did directly help afford....

A boy of toothache did complain....

Five hollow teeth did explain....

I shot them with a pistol out...

And sent him on a happy rout....

took from: The Library of Congress American Memory Collection has the sheet music of an English version, dated 1856.

Edited by chattius
  • 2 weeks later...
I asked Schot about this, and he is kind of saying as well, that the stone set up doesn't make him think of stone henge that much either. If we're trying to feel reference from this, I would say that for the majority of peeps looking at it, we'd all first have to have it in our minds the fact that it's a related to stone henge, and I don't think we have decorum on this so far. Maybe, if another reference pops up somewhere in game, there could be enough here to make the connection stronger, just got get at least one agreed upon connection to a reference.

Well, I agree that the stone circles in Sacred are not Stonehenge exactly, but there are LOTS of these similar-looking formations all over Britian (and I would assume other parts of Europe, even the world) that I remember from watching a doc. on Stonehenge. Typically a circle within a circle, these were built at places of "power", where the energies of the Earth converged. IIRC, they were built by the Druids? This reminds me...

For a time, I worked in Banff, Alberta.. at a resort in the mountains. One day, there were a few of us out on a hike thru the valley (typically we went up the mountains, not down in the valleys)... and we came across something similar to these formations... but the stones were about fist-watermelon in size, and there were 4 circles (within each other, like a bulls-eye). I will never forget that day, because one of us entered the circles, which for some reason the others of us agreed was not a good thing. I had never believed in the supernatural/occult, and I followed my friend into the circles. As I breached the 3rd ring, the hairs on the back of my neck started rising... I got all goose-bumpy (even now, as I type and recall the event, I am getting these feelings again...). It was at that moment, when that feeling of uneasiness, knowing that something "unknown" was going on... I started to accept that there was a "reality" to the supernatural. Needless to say, my buddy felt the exact same things, and we quickly exited the circles, and went on our way. It was quite the topic of conversation for the group of us that day, and the goosebumps on my arms right now re-affirm my belief that there are things that cannot be reasoned or explained. Or just that the explainations are so long forgotten, they are now considered "fantasy" (ie. magic).

On a completely unrelated note... Has anyone else recognised any Robert Jordan references? I always hear the conversation piece (when in a town) saying "may the power be with you", which is a saying from his Wheel of Time series. Not that I would want a wiki entry for each loose Sci-Fi/Fantasy reference, just curious if there are more that I have missed.