Stupid Stupid Rebates......

Gotta love the rebates. Bestbuy and Compusa used to have tons of them. Your odds of getting the rebates.....well just don't figure the savings of a rebate into the actual price.

Many moons ago I was an early adopter--well I still am, but it's hard when you are always broke. So when the LS120 hit the shelves I was ready. I mean who doesn't want a 120 meg floppy drive? Compusa was selling UsaIdentity LS120's for $150.00 with a $100.00 mail in rebate. Well after about 20 years and a class action suit, I have yet to get my $100.00. To make matters worse, the thing died after a couple months.

In the email I sent to USAIdentity, I believe I told them that every time I looked at the computer I felt sick to my stomach and a bunch of other stuff.

So my latest rebate woe is from Newegg. The Raidmax Smilodon Extreme Black. The quoted price was close to $100 and the sale price was about $70.00. A $30.00 mail in rebate meant that I could get the case I wanted for a steal. But looking back at the LS120 thing, I had to ask myself if the case was worth $70.00 to me(It was!) But, the rebate is long expired(I mailed my stuff before it expired) and the tracking site still shows "waiting for your mail".

Kiss another rebate goodbye.

hehe the old rebate scam.

At least mine (EVGA graphics card, NZXT case OCZ memory and PC Power&Cooling PSU) all show up as received. Whether I'll see the $$$ is another matter. They usually manage to lose the UPC or find some other readon to void your submission. That's why it's always 10-12 weeks to get it, too. They hope you'll forget.

Just hope I am luckier than most. It will be June before I can expect mine to show.

oooh, the word rebate makes me cringe, sil. There was a 200.00 rebate on my first comp a few years back... was too lazy to send it in. Serves me right, lesson learned I guess :butcher: Gial, hope yers works out all right, at least you're following up on yours ^^

I wonder how much manufactures make with this rebate scam huh

:)

gogo

Lol, 20 years is a long time to hold a grudge but I still get burned up inside every time I think of that LS120.

I have both an external and an internal LS120. They both work fine ... whenever I dust them off to try them again. Obviously, I don't use them much with 16GB Flash Drives so easily available.

Yup, the LS120 was great in it's day. And the disks didn't suffer from my ultra powerful electric field. :drunkards: Seriously, I could render a 3.5 inch floppy unreadable simply by putting it in my shirt pocket. Lost a lot of important files that way.

Yup, the LS120 was great in it's day. And the disks didn't suffer from my ultra powerful electric field. :evil: Seriously, I could render a 3.5 inch floppy unreadable simply by putting it in my shirt pocket. Lost a lot of important files that way.

Or--you have a really powerful set of speakers in your pc/stereo/cd/dvd player... or your light ballasts are out of wack... or your neighbours have the super powerful speakers..right next to where you hang out... ;) Could be something else? Though I do believe some people have wacky wacky fields... I had a friend who could be used as the aiming device for the remote control for the tv... TV-remote was finicky --unless you aimed the remote at her!

---

I bought a couple of educational games for my nephew at Costco. The clerk was lazy and scanned the same game twice. (they were different). When I applied for the mail in rebate I was refused... rebate required both games be purchased... not 2 of the same.

So. No rebate.

I bought a video card a long time ago... sent in the wrong part of the box with the receipt. No rebate. Re-sent the rebate in, too late. Expired rebate... no rebate.

So: I don't count mail in rebates to my purchasing decision. Marketers like to create 'pressure to buy'... as a consumer, the more they press for immediate sale, the less likely I am to buy. They must be lying is my learned response.

Edited by FrostElfGuard

That's right. That's why I priced out my build without thinking about the rebates. It would have been nice to get a check in the mail, but.... Instant rebates are nice; my comp came with a few of those.