Image Upload Categories

Heyas all. Now that we've got our wiki uploads in steady use I thought it would be high time to put our heads together and follow eachothers lead when it comes to categorizing images. I know that our two big uploaders, Knuckles and Silver, have been making excellent use of category tags when they upload images. I'm extremely grateful for that because it's really going to be helpful in the future when we need to locate stuff. I'd like to maintain a listing of our categories here so that everyone will have a list to refer to when uploading. Could you two help out with this and give us an idea of your system? I'd very much like to ensure everyone is doing the same thing and from what I saw you two have a nice system going. :)

EDIT:

How to categorize image uploads.

Just gave it a quick try and uploading is no issue for me.

Things that I don't see how to do yet (if I missed something I'm sorry, incredibly sick atm....been in bed for 36 hrs so far...god I hate flu's :D )

1) When uploading I cannot select what directory or folder I want to place it in

2) Can't see any easy way to search or browse to a folder to get pic code (tried going directly to www.sacredwiki.org/images/Sacred_2/places and get a 403 Forbidden error)

3) Haven't tried, but will need to be able to create new directories/folders as I progress thru wiki projects

Ah, I was wondering if you were out partying without us. ^^ Nice to know you're feeling a bit better. Flu's are a drag man. What's also a drag is a ton of unexpected snow in a matter of 24 hours. Fer cryin out loud this stuff moves in fast!

IMG_02061.JPG

For the sake of organizing photos what we can do is to add categories whenever we upload a pic. On the upload page you can put a category into the summary text field to associate the image to it. For example I just uploaded Ice Crystal.png. In the summary I put [[Category:Blacksmith Item Images|{{PAGENAME}}]] . Whatever image has that category will show up on the Category:Blacksmith Item Images.

Alternatively, whenever in search of a previously uploladed image what we can do is just go to the page on the wiki where the image is in use. Then you can reach the page for that image by clicking on it and if need be make changes to it by re-uploading a revised version of the image.

Now don't forget to drink yer Ovaltine! :P

You may also view a list of all uploads on the Image List Page.

For help on uploading see the Pic Upload Testors For Sacredwiki topic.

Thatk you for this thread. While getting started with wiki, I tried to find out the categories other people use, but was unable to do so. So I created some categories I use with all the pics I upload. Here is the list:

1. [[Category:NPC Portraits|{{PAGENAME}}]] for that big portraits NPCs have on the right side of their pages.

2. [[Category:Quest Location Images|{{PAGENAME}}]] for all the maps. I know that it's too generic, but I had to use something.

3. [[Category:Enemy Portraits and Stats|{{PAGENAME}}]] for the pics for the bestiary entries.

I also try to maintain Knuckles' category system for the places pages. It is [[Category:<insert place's name here> Images|{{PAGENAME}}]]. Like [[Category:Dragon Mage Island Images|{{PAGENAME}}]].

I've been basically following the exact naming scheme found in the area I'm working on. For example, I'm getting ready to upload some Nanthar pics for the Cursed Forest region. My codes would be this:

[[Category:Nanthar Images|{{PAGENAME}}]] on the upload page and then save . On the save file page (where the pic is actually displayed) I'll enter a short description of pic(s) and in the link area at bottom of page. I will put in it's 'parent' directory (if it has one). In this case the top directory is the region itself so I would add this in the link box: [[Category:Crystal Planes Place Images|Crystal Planes Place Place Images]]

I try to do same with Bestiary, so say for instance I found a Hairy Knuckle and it was a T-Mutant, my codes would now be this: [[Category:T-Mutant Enemy|{{PAGENAME}}]] and [[Category:Bestiary Images|Bestiary Images]]

I have been trying to have a parent and sub-directory for each pic, otherwise the main directory could end up having hundred's of pics

It's good idea to either write down your directory codes or copy/paste them like I do, to notepad or something similar. I'll open up the notepad anytime I need a certain directory that I've already created. It really cuts down on generating duplicate directories thru misspelling or syntax errors.

• 4 months later...

This thread was abandoned, however, it contains some useful things.

Also, I wanted to add some of the recent observations.

1. Since the quests are extremely multiple, making a general category isn't a very good idea, since it becomes crowded very soon.

2. NPC portraits, however, fit into the same category quite well (at least now). Maybe it would be better to create a separate categories for the regions if the general one become too big.

3. For the quests I prefer to create special image categories named like [[Category: <Quest name> Images]]

So, everything here still applies? Should I categorize quest images when uploading by using [[Category: <Quest name> Images]] tag?

So, everything here still applies? Should I categorize quest images when uploading by using [[Category: <Quest name> Images]] tag?

Yes, everything in this thread still applies. This topic just got lost among the other stuff since there isn't much to discuss here. Categorisation for the images is not a must, however it's recommended to put them into some categories to keep the wiki somewhat organized. As for the certain tag, the syntax really is like that, but you can choose any name you want for the category. It just happened that both me and Knuckles are naming categories with the name of the page that uses the images + the word "Images" (like Cut Off Images or Nether Allegiance Images). The tag can be typed into the 'Summary' window while uploading or can be added to the existing image page text when editing it.

Great. I'll categorize the ones I have already uploaded (done!), now that they are still few, and I will also apply for new ones from now on. Thanks Silver :)

Edited by Zeno

I looked at this again, and I cannot find how to categorize my images. I assume it has something to do with the "Destination filename" I assign, but I am obviously overlooking something. Can someone throw me a bone? How about I list some images that I uploaded today. If someone can point out what I need to do, that would be great!

Files for the Scent Of Life quest:

• ScentOfLife_AmanthaCamera.jpg
  • ScentOfLife_Amantha1Dialog.jpg
  • ScentOfLife_AmanthaMap.jpg
  • ScentOfLife_AmanthaTabMap.jpg
  • ScentOfLife_Logbook1.jpg

TIA