Upgraded the Youtube BBcode

Heyas all,

Well I actually never made an announcement when I first implemented the YouTube bbcode here on the forum which I did, ummm... About a year or two ago, lol. So here's a belated announcement with upgrades, hehe.

th_PostSpecialBBcode.jpg

Here at DarkMatters we have a number of custom bbcodes, (made by yours truly! aaaaall by myself. mostly. sorta... anyways!), which allows you to easily embed YouTube videos and other stuffs. To access these easy peasy bbcodes you have only to click on the drop down menu titled "Insert Special Item". Click on the thumbnail to the right to see the example of the drop down.

Now then. What you do from that drop down menu is to first select YouTube. A little window will pop up that has an empty field for you to type in. In the empty field you'll need to put in a very small part of the Address bar Url that is shown when you are viewing your YouTube video on the YouTube site. The example images below will indicate what you need to copy and paste into the empty field of our YouTube bbcode. In the picture below you will see that certain parts of the Address bar url have been highlighted. The only part you need to copy is the green area. The yellow area, (highlighting the = sign), is to emphasize a rule to follow. That rule is: Copy only what comes after the = sign.

YoutubeUrl.jpg

Click for larger version

th_YouTubecode.jpg

Once you have copied that little bit of the url you can paste it into the empty YouTube bbcode field and hit ok.

All done!

From this example the resulting code would look like:

[youtube]pRa7zH_-IpQ[/youtube]

And now for the update!

Recently Youtube implemented optional higher quality viewing of videos when watching on the YouTube site. Immidiately I did some digging around and turned up some info on how to get those higher quality videos to embed elsewhere. Soooo... As of today I've adjusted the YouTube bbcode to "insist" on embeding the higher quality video versions from YouTube. It isn't HD keep in mind but it certainly is a noticeable improvement. All future YouTubes that are posted will be in the higher quality version but for previously posted YouTubes there will be no change.

Enjoy folks and should anything bizarre happen to your YouTubes please let me know. This is a bit experimental. When is it not? lol.

For more info and a comparison of Standard YouTube vs. High Quality YouTube check out InsideOnlineVideo.com

Bravo!

An excellent addition to DarkMatters. I was looking at how some of the videos look great with the new addon. A great presentation and your working on keeping the site's technology up to par and beyond is always appreciated.

Good job

:D

gogo

Eh heh, errr... Looking at it now. :yay:

:)

Ok Timo, everything should be alright now. Thank you very much for the heads up and also to bhj. :)

I've made some adjustments to the bbcode. It seems that the older YouTube videos can not be posted in high quality so rather than changing the existing YouTube bbcode I've added a second bbcode for YouTube. From the drop down list it is called YouTube HD. So now everyone has the option of choosing to embed Standard(YouTube bbcode) or High Quality(YouTube HD bbcode).

The best way to know if a YouTube video has an alternative high quality version is to look just below the video player while watching the video from the YouTube site. If there is a high quality version you will see a "Watch in high quality" link just below the player as is shown in the below screenshot.

YoutubeHDlink.jpg

There are times when there isn't a "Watch in high quality" link yet a high quality version does exist. So the best way to know for sure is to try the YouTube HD here on the forum and see if it plays well.

Hopefully this way of doing things will work well on the forum. Time will tell.