SacredWiki - Call to Arms

Hi guys !

As the title says, we need questhunters. But some might wonder, what exactly does he mean: hence the topic ;-).

In general terms, there are just about 600 Quests in Sacred 2, and we are trying to get them all documented, with rather high detail, in the sacred wiki. This requires manpower ... Lot's of it!.

But how do we do this :) Well, that's the next part of my post.

First off, the Quest template:

To illustrate the template, I will use a Quest allready in the wiki. it's the Eaten Cow quest.

Thanks to Schot, the wiki is equipped with a quest template. If you open a blanc page on the wiki, you can press the [Q] button on top, and press save. The quest template is now loaded. It looks like this when loaded:

<div class="plainlinks">

<div style="float:left;">__TOC__</div>

{|

|WIDTH="5%" VALIGN="TOP"|

|WIDTH="80%" VALIGN="TOP"|

* '''Quest Objective:''' TYPE IN OBJECTIVE OF QUEST

* '''Quest Difficulty:''' TYPE IN NUMBER OF STARS THIS QUEST INDICATES AS DIFFICULTY

* '''Quest Giver:''' TYPE IN FULL NAME OF NPC QUEST GIVER

* '''Location(s):''' TYPE IN REGION AND/OR TOWN THE QUEST IS GIVEN IN

* '''Prerequisite Quest:''' TYPE IN PREREQUISITE QUEST IF ONE IS NEEDED TO BE GIVEN THIS QUEST

* '''Next Quest:''' TYPE IN NAME OF NEXT QUEST IF APPLICABLE

* '''Reward:'''TYPE IN REWARD RECEIVED UPON COMPLETION OF THIS QUEST (IF ANY)

|WIDTH="20%" VALIGN="TOP" ALIGN="RIGHT"|PLACE A [http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?act=Help&CODE=01&HID=17 THUMBNAIL] LINK [http://photobucket.com (USING PHOTOBUCKET TO HOST THE IMAGE)] OF THE PICTURE FROM YOUR LOG BOOK AT THE TOP RIGHT SHOWING LOCATION OF QUEST

<br />

OPTIONALLY, REPLACE THIS TEXT WITH ANOTHER THUMBNAIL THAT WILL HELP A PLAYER FIND THIS QUEST GIVER'S LOCATION IN GAME

|}

== Quick Walkthrough ==

TYPE IN A FEW SENTENCES WHAT THE QUESTS GOALS ARE AND HOW TO ACHIEVE THEM

== Detailed Walkthrough ==

TYPE IN ADDITIONAL INFO. LINKS TO PICTURES, MAPS, VIDEOS ARE PERMITTED IN THIS FIELD

== Logbook Entry ==

PLACE A [http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?act=Help&CODE=01&HID=17 THUMBNAIL] LINK [http://photobucket.com (USING PHOTOBUCKET TO HOST THE IMAGE)] TO THIS COMPLETED QUEST'S LOGBOOK ENTRY SCREENSHOT, OR TYPE IT IN MANUALLY.

== Notes ==

TYPE IN ANY POSSIBLE BUGS, EXPLOITS, TRICKS, HINTS, SHORTCUTS ETC

DECIDE WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING CATEGORY('S) APPLY TO THIS QUEST AND DELETE THOSE THAT DO NOT APPLY(AS WELL AS THIS COMMENT)

[[Category:Sacred 2 Light Campaign Quest]]

[[Category:Sacred 2 Shadow Campaign Quest]]

[[Category:Sacred 2 Side Quest]]

[[Category:Sacred 2 Chain Quest]]

[[Category:Sacred 2 Class Quest]]

</div>

Now to some of you, this is simpler then 1+1=2, for other, like myself, it kinda looks like chinese the first time you see it. So let me walk you trough it.

Let's start with the top part. The quoted part is the part which is located on the top of the screen, as in the screenshot.

<div class="plainlinks">

{|

* '''Quest Objective:''' TYPE IN OBJECTIVE OF QUEST

* '''Quest Difficulty:''' TYPE IN NUMBER OF STARS THIS QUEST INDICATES AS DIFFICULTY

* '''Quest Giver:''' TYPE IN FULL NAME OF NPC QUEST GIVER

* '''Location(s):''' TYPE IN REGION AND/OR TOWN THE QUEST IS GIVEN IN

* '''Prerequisite Quest:''' TYPE IN PREREQUISITE QUEST IF ONE IS NEEDED TO BE GIVEN THIS QUEST

* '''Next Quest:''' TYPE IN NAME OF NEXT QUEST IF APPLICABLE

* '''Reward:'''TYPE IN REWARD RECEIVED UPON COMPLETION OF THIS QUEST (IF ANY)

|WIDTH="20%" VALIGN="TOP" ALIGN="RIGHT"|PLACE A [http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?act=Help&CODE=01&HID=17 THUMBNAIL] LINK [http://photobucket.com (USING PHOTOBUCKET TO HOST THE IMAGE)] OF THE PICTURE FROM YOUR LOG BOOK AT THE TOP RIGHT SHOWING LOCATION OF QUEST

<br />

OPTIONALLY, REPLACE THIS TEXT WITH ANOTHER THUMBNAIL THAT WILL HELP A PLAYER FIND THIS QUEST GIVER'S LOCATION IN GAME

|}

topquest.jpg

Now, there is a series of things to change, and to leave where they are. The first few lines are simple: Don't mess with em. Just leave em how they are, they make the lay-out look nice and clean.

The first things you need to change start at :* '''Quest Objective:''' TYPE IN OBJECTIVE OF QUEST

Just delete the part in capital letters, and obviously type in the quest objective. Do this until you get to * '''Reward:'''TYPE IN REWARD RECEIVED UPON COMPLETION OF THIS QUEST (IF ANY)

Allways leave the * '''XXXXX:''' how it is. Just change the capital letters.

after that, you will want to delete the part:

PLACE A [http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?act=Help&CODE=01&HID=17 THUMBNAIL] LINK [http://photobucket.com (USING PHOTOBUCKET TO HOST THE IMAGE)] OF THE PICTURE FROM YOUR LOG BOOK AT THE TOP RIGHT SHOWING LOCATION OF QUEST

<br />

and put the link of a thumbnail in it's place. Make sure you don't delete the vertical stripe before the word PLACE, and that the |} are still there too.

If you don't know how to thumbnail, press preview before deleting this, and you can click on the word 'thumbnail' to see how to do it.

so After you changed everything, to end up with the same header as in the example quest, which is a simple one, you should have this

<div class="plainlinks">

{|

* '''Quest Objective:''' Find the missing cow

* '''Quest Difficulty:''' 1 star

* '''Quest Giver:''' [[sacred 2:Hunter Apprentice Tiraen|Hunter Apprentice Tiraen]]

* '''Location(s):''' Brigand camp

* '''Prerequisite Quest:''' /

* '''Next quest:''' /

* '''Reward:'''Gold, Experience and Loot

|WIDTH="20%" VALIGN="TOP"|

Your thumbnail link. This looks something like (url=xxx)(img)xxx(/img)(/url), but with the round brackets being [] square ones

|}

Now you got your header right.

You immediately see that for some reason the quest giver is located between brackets. This puts me at the next step. Try to make a link in your guides to all people you refer to. That way, people can click the name, and see the statistics on that person. So when you describe talking to a person called James bond, type [[sacred 2: James Bond|James Bond]]. This way the name becomes clickable, and people can read up on the stats of James Bond, as soon as some1 put's em in the wiki offcourse.

Now the next part of the code is pretty straight forward.

== Quick Walkthrough ==

TYPE IN A FEW SENTENCES WHAT THE QUESTS GOALS ARE AND HOW TO ACHIEVE THEM

the == text == simply makes the text in between the =='s look bold and like a title. So just don't touch those again.

Delete the part in capital letters, and make a bullet list of things to do.

A bullet list is made by using a *

So to get the same bullet list as in the quest in the example, you would have to type UNDER the == Quick Walkthrough ==

* Talk to the Hunter Apprentice Tiraen in the Brigand camp

* Kill the wolf who ate his cow

* Talk to the Hunter Apprentice again

That way it automatically sums up the sentences in a list. Make sure you leave a space after each *

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next part is the detailed walktrhough. Again the == Detailed Walkthrough == provides you with a title, so leave that.

Add a detailed walktrhough, with thumbnails, maps and whatever you need under this part.

there is no need for bullet lists here. But remember, try to put all NPC's which take a role in the quest, in between brackets. So if you have to speak to Slave theodus for example, write in the detailed walktrhough something along the lines of:

After you went to Sloeford, speak to [[sacred 2: Slave Theodus|Slave Theodus]].

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next part of the template is the logbook entry. AGain leave the part with the ='s untouched, and just put 1 thing in the logbook entry. A thumbnailed screenshot of your logbook AFTER the mission is done. After that, don't write anything else.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Should you have any more notes to add, feel free to do so in the notes section. Again, try to use a bullet list here, to make it more easy to read.

(remember, by using *)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The last part of the template reads:

DECIDE WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING CATEGORY('S) APPLY TO THIS QUEST AND DELETE THOSE THAT DO NOT APPLY(AS WELL AS THIS COMMENT)

[[Category:Sacred 2 Light Campaign Quest]]

[[Category:Sacred 2 Shadow Campaign Quest]]

[[Category:Sacred 2 Side Quest]]

[[Category:Sacred 2 Chain Quest]]

[[Category:Sacred 2 Class Quest]]

You will want to choose what type of quest it is, and delete everything, exept for that quests category.

Example: you just added a side quest: then delete everything in the last part of the template, exept for [[Category: Sacred 2 Side Quest]], you don't need to type anything in this part. Just delete what doesn't apply.

There you go! Now you should have a rough understanding of how the template works.

I know this is all a little overwhelming if coding is not your thing, but open the template, and press edit on a quest which is allready written up. Try to see what parts of that template remained unchanged, and after a little time, you'll get the hang of it. I did, and so can you !

Now as for some practical issues:

The way to make a quest, as in: generate a page to which you can add information, is by going to this page: Wiki - Sacred 2 quests.

Press edit on top, and scroll down to the part you need.

If you want to add a sidequest, scroll down until you find == Side Quests ==.

Below that should be a number of things looking like this:

[[sacred 2:Books, Cows and Virgins|Books, Cows and Virgins]]

[[sacred 2:Bounty|Bounty]]

[[sacred 2:Four Yellow Feet|Four Yellow Feet]]

[[sacred 2:Fishing Stores|Fishing Stores]]

[[sacred 2:Michel, the Blacksmith's apprentice|Michel, the Blacksmith's apprentice]]

[[sacred 2:Missing Patrol|Missing Patrol]]

These are links to quests allready in there.

if your quest is called: Mommy, I am scared, then make sure to add it in alphabetically. In this case, the quest will have to be added to the bottom.

So leave a whiteline under [[sacred 2:Missing Patrol|Missing Patrol]], and under that whiteline add [[sacred 2: Mommy, I am scared|Mommy, I am scared]].

After that press save at the bottom, and on that wiki page should be the words: mommy, I am scared. You will see that you can click it, and you got yourselve a blanc page, waiting to be added.

This explains to you (in a fashion) how to add quests, and how to use the template.

Until you find out how the template works, and how the wiki is set up, I recommend you stick to side quests, or maybe class specifics. Stay away from chain quests for now, since they have a slightly different way of setting them up.

Should you have any at all questions about the quests, don't hesitate to post them here, or even send me, gogo, brad, schot or whoever a mail about the quests, and we'll point ya in the right direction.

I hope I didn't overwhelm anybody, so go do some quests, and help us finish up the wiki! :blink:

Grtz, prom

Edited by promatolya

That's quite the tutorial you're giving there! Anyway, I'll be able to help with this but there's a small ugly catch :D. First off, I probably got to wait about 5 days before the game will arrive at my door (Bought the CE edition). Secondly, once I get my hands on it I'll start out on a Seraphim and probably play her to death. This means that I will only be giving feedback on the Seraphim. On the other hand I'm working on a Character Planner so I won't be able to help out with quests any other than the "Light side".

Anyway, good luck and you'll hear from me.

P.S. Kudos on that tutorial, it'll be helping me muchos :)

Excellent explanation prom. Very thorough and a big help for those who are new to using a wiki for sure. This will undoubtedly reduce any possible hair pulling when trying to understand the template. :)

Oh and an exceptional point you made about reading the template preview. It's a very good way to understand the template when reading the preview rather than from the edit field. Cause well.... Those links I put into the template to help users aren't really much use unless reading the preview... Errr, eh heh. I hadn't really thought that through, lol. :D

Like prom says, if anyone is in need of help by all means ask us. There's a lot going on in the quest pages and we're still discovering new ways to present information. Which means the layout of information is in flux at the moment. If you can't find something you know who to call! ... prom! :D

Thank you very much prom!

Prom, a perfect melding of Schot's great coding and your excellent explanation. I've only done one of the quests for SacredWiki, but with the template it was easy, and fun, because I knew where stuff had to go.

Nice work you two on this. And Prom, you're a fiend with those quests!

Xeneonic, awesome if you're able to help out with project when you are able to. This is probably the biggest project on SacredWiki right now, and it's going to be at least, if not more, than half it's content.

With help from everyone, it means more game time on the HC servers.

Woo hoo!

:D

gogo