PSU Fan stopped... Crap!

Schot

Awh man. I juuuust turned on my pc and noticed a very faint sort of tick tock sound. I guess it's the countdown to it's demise... The fan no longer spins. On the up side I finally know where all that terrible noise was coming from in past days, eh heh. *fizzle*

Soooo.... Anyone know of a way to kick start the blasted thing? I'm not really in the mood to buy a new PSU. Maybe it just needs a bit of lube? Some TLC? Pillow talk? Anything?! :bounce:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have had the same thing happening twice for me, sometimes it works other times not.

Remember once when it exploded, a big bang and lots of smoke, so you better watch out...

Eeek. Ok I'm digging around for my receipt, lol. I "think" I might still have a warranty on it. I'm not going to take a chance with this one. Ugh... I hate spending money unexpectedly. :D

Some time later...

Just finished talking to Microbytes. No warranty. :bounce: I'm gonna have to buy a new one and I don't think a PSU is something to go cheap on. Ugh... What terrible timing... Ah well. I'll hold onto this busted one for my spare pc. Maybe I can replace the fan and use it. Replacing a fan isn't generally a good idea so I won't even attempt it on my main pc.

Bleh! Tupid puter.

It's better to spend some money now and get it fixed or else it may happen that you need to spend alot more if something unexpected happens like it did with me, I remember it as it was yesterday; I did some questing in the Desert and had just completed a quest when it blowed up and took out all the lights in my room.

Wow... That's a powerful blowout. :devil:

Good advice Spunky. I plan to follow it closely. I'll be going to my local pc shop in a lil while. I can pick up a new PSU for $50-$150 depending on power and quality.

Here's a few I'm considering:

600W ATX CM EXTREME POWER PLUS

600W ATX CM SILENT PRO M SERIES

700W ATX CM SILENT PRO M SERIES

P.s.

Hmmm, some pretty good deals online. Much better than my fave pc shop... I'm gonna check out that NCX gogo. :D

yes, the ncx will pretty much beat out any deal you see here live. Consider it. NCX is very reputable and very VEYR fast. They will usually arrive in two days

You`ll have it for friday easy

:D

gogo

Spelling Error ...

NCIX

:devil:

gogo

Yes it was a scary situation when I sat there in the dark and wondered about what just happened, and the moment I noticed the smell of burned plastic I knew I was screwed...

yes, the ncx will pretty much beat out any deal you see here live. Consider it. NCX is very reputable and very VEYR fast. They will usually arrive in two days

You`ll have it for friday easy

:)

gogo

Spelling Error ...

NCIX

gogo

Ok awesome! So here's what I have in the ballance.

Coolermaster Silent Pro 700W Modular Power Supply for $137 in 2 or more days

or same product from nearby me

700W ATX CM SILENT PRO M SERIES for $149+TAX=$168 right now

What would you guys do? :devil:

Yes it was a scary situation when I sat there in the dark and wondered about what just happened, and the moment I noticed the smell of burned plastic I knew I was screwed...

Yikes. How much damage was done. I hope it was only the PSU. :o

Yup, I was lucky so it was only the PSU that where ruined.

Lucky Indeed!

wow..teh cheap price loox good...who is that being offered by

gogo

That's yer fave site NCIX gogo. :devil: Which I've decided to buy from. I was gonna buy from the local pc shop but they're all out of stock. Maybe means it's a popular product? I could go with a different product but after reading a fair bit about it it seems as though it's good quality. What I like most about the Silent Pro M 700W is the smart cable management and the low noise. Plus it does look kinda cool. ^^ Reviews seem to conclude well on it. Here's a few pages:

Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700W

Tech Reviews Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W

3DGameMan.com's Vidoe Review of Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W

P.s.

5 Year Warranty FTW.

NCIX is a new site to me. hows it compare with newegg?

Edit: A few minutes later....

The CPU cooler I just bought from Newegg:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...ure=Thermaltake

VS.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835106123

New Egg looks lots cheaper

And your powersupply choice:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...0Power%20Supply

VS

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...mp;promoid=1065

Does Newegg ship to Montreal?

Prices see better

Edited by locolagarto

Most of my friends are ordering from it here at work NCIX...its`canadian, to it adds to cool factor...though newegg is prety cool too.

NCIX usually has the lowest prices though.

:devil:

gogo

I was looking at that too loco. Hehe. Trying to pinch a penny anywhere I can. Newegg.com is U.S. currency though. I think if it was available on Newegg.Combat Art that the price would be a lot higher. Unfortunately the .Combat Art version of the site doesn't have it. Drat!

Ok, I was starting to get into a bit of a penny pinching mode there but I quickly shook it off. I'm sure I could find a better price out there but now is not the time to be window shopping. I guess my fan reached a warm enough temperature to move because it started spinning a lil while ago. But it doesn't sound good. In fact it sounds REAL bad. I'm a lil worried so I think I'm going to give it a little nap. :devil:

At any rate my new PSU has been purchased. Just a matter of time now. The shipping method I chose said 1-2 day shipping so I'm counting the days. I doubt I'll be doing much in the way of pc use until then. Noooooooo!

I was looking at that too loco. Hehe. Trying to pinch a penny anywhere I can. Newegg.com is U.S. currency though. I think if it was available on Newegg.Combat Art that the price would be a lot higher. Unfortunately the .Combat Art version of the site doesn't have it. Drat!

Ok, I was starting to get into a bit of a penny pinching mode there but I quickly shook it off. I'm sure I could find a better price out there but now is not the time to be window shopping. I guess my fan reached a warm enough temperature to move because it started spinning a lil while ago. But it doesn't sound good. In fact it sounds REAL bad. I'm a lil worried so I think I'm going to give it a little nap. :devil:

At any rate my new PSU has been purchased. Just a matter of time now. The shipping method I chose said 1-2 day shipping so I'm counting the days. I doubt I'll be doing much in the way of pc use until then. Noooooooo!

Just send Gogo out on a wild goose chase of a store run. Something that will take an couple hours. and steal some grindin' time on his puter. Sorry Gogo you gotta share!

Brilliant loco. Except for ooooone tiny detail. Despite the belief in your own magical powers I think that gogo may have just read that. :starwars: But in the event that you do have magical blinding powahs... Hey gogo! We're outta Fragile Rocks. ;)

Ok, well this problem has gone from rediculous to ludicrous speed. I figured while I had all this time to wait for the arrival of my new PSU I may as well crack open my presently borked PSU and see whats going on. As soon as I got it open I canceled the order I had made hours ago for the new PSU, lol. Turns out I have one of the rare PSU's that actually has a plug for the fan rather than being soldered directly to the unit... Basically I can very easily replace the fan on the borked PSU for dirt cheap and probably get another year or more out of it.

Doh!

I hope I canceled my order on time... Ugh!

Brilliant loco. Except for ooooone tiny detail. Despite the belief in your own magical powers I think that gogo may have just read that. :lol: But in the event that you do have magical blinding powahs... Hey gogo! We're outta Fragile Rocks. :D

Ok, well this problem has gone from rediculous to ludicrous speed. I figured while I had all this time to wait for the arrival of my new PSU I may as well crack open my presently borked PSU and see whats going on. As soon as I got it open I canceled the order I had made hours ago for the new PSU, lol. Turns out I have one of the rare PSU's that actually has a plug for the fan rather than being soldered directly to the unit... Basically I can very easily replace the fan on the borked PSU for dirt cheap and probably get another year or more out of it.

Doh!

I hope I canceled my order on time... Ugh!

YI had my eyes closed and wished 3 times that Gogo wasn't gonna catch on to that little detail. Uou could still get him on a beer run at least. Send him to Milwaukee for some of that american crap. he'll be gone for days. :starwars:

Oh well, Hey Gogo since Schot is out of action wanna get the Kamikaze build to level 40 or This Sunday. Come find me on the servers! Sorry Schot ;)

Thankfully you found that Schot, I was just about to suggest the same thing to ya. :D

Oh thanx alot Timo. Let me go through all the stress and THEN tell me, lol. Joking. Though I really do wish you had been around about 8 hours ago, hahaha. Phone number? :lol:

I just finished removing the fan and cleaning out all the dust with some compressed air. Just need the fan and I'll be all set!

YI had my eyes closed and wished 3 times that Gogo wasn't gonna catch on to that little detail. Uou could still get him on a beer run at least. Send him to Milwaukee for some of that american crap. he'll be gone for days. :starwars:

Yeah I dunno there loco. I'd need a preeetty big pity card to pull that one off. Still... gogo? ^^

Oh well, Hey Gogo since Schot is out of action wanna get the Kamikaze build to level 40 or This Sunday. Come find me on the servers! Sorry Schot ;)

What?! That's totally off topic loco. Thread stealer! Topic crasher! I'll have to think of an appropriate punishment now. That should keep me busy for a while. Oh... Maybe I'll use my fave type of punishment... Evil_Laugh_emoticon.gif

Good news btw. The cancellation was accepted. Wheeeeeeew!

Thankfully you found that Schot, I was just about to suggest the same thing to ya. :D

Oh thanx alot Timo. Let me go through all the stress and THEN tell me, lol. Joking. Though I really do wish you had been around about 8 hours ago, hahaha. Phone number? :lol:

I just finished removing the fan and cleaning out all the dust with some compressed air. Just need the fan and I'll be all set!

Yeah I dunno there loco. I'd need a preeetty big pity card to pull that one off. Still... gogo? ^^

What?! That's totally off topic loco. Thread stealer! Topic crasher! I'll have to think of an appropriate punishment now. That should keep me busy for a while. Oh... Maybe I'll use my fave type of punishment... Evil_Laugh_emoticon.gif

Good news btw. The cancellation was accepted. Wheeeeeeew!

Yeah instead of beer, send him for PSU parts. there you go, back on topic. Sorry I have become a Addict for buddy play time. I take it any way I can. On a server with dragon brother atm.