Roguelike Games

I really wonder if anyone of you still plays nethack, adom, tome, angband and all the other rogue-likes?

beginning.jpg

Anyone who remembers situations like this?

I've played around a bit with Hack and NetHack. I was always getting myself into some sort of trouble that I couldn't handle. But that was half the fun of those games :) hahahaa

Roguelikes have Ascii-graphics. @ is normally the hero, d a dog, D a dragon, o orc, O ogre, ...

They have a two dimensional map for each dungeon level which is normally randomly created in a new way each game.

They are turn based.

They developed in decades, so they normally have a lot of fun stuff and are quite complex, just lacking graphics and sound.

You have to eat and drink and most early deaths are normally by starving and not by monsters.

I used to play 'adom' on a very old notebook alot at my last years at army when we were in readiness and weren't allowed to leave building.

• 2 months later...

Currently I am trying out tome4 which is in its beta8 release. Downloaded it without music files so it was just 7mbyte. Found a video how it plays for all of you who never saw or played a rogue-like game. It is small enough to run on my netbook when I travel per train.

It doesn't have the graphics and sound you are used too. But rogue-likes have some good things: the time not used for graphics and sound is spend in content and they are free.

Guess latest play was with some version of Nethack. Though I used to play the graphic-ed version of it too. In the olden days I used to play 'em a lot more. Nethack, Ragnarok, etc.

Dunno if you could put Ragnarok into that category as it somewhat full graphics, but at least it was a total powersaver. Worked well on my old 80386 and little newer 80486. ^^

Not playing 'em nowadays as they could turn into real time consumers. Sacred 2, NDS games and latest addition Oblivion are on the spotlight.

Edited by Stormwing

Played Angband for hundreds of hours way back in my early gaming days.

I loved a lot of the old "rogue" games.

Then along came Diablo and I was never able to go back to ASCII graphics. :D

Yes I know that's very shallow of me but I admit...I love my eye candy. :)