Diablo 3 selling items for dollars? Holy Hannah!

http://diablo3markets.incgamers.com/

http://diablo3markets.incgamers.com/blog/comments/how-much-money-will-players-spend-in-diablo-3-its-a-question-of-funzies#more-402

Sounds like part of Blizzards plan is to sell items for dollars. Imagine you buy sacred 2 pay your 50 dollars at opening. Then everyone online has a Kaldurs and the monster difficulty is scaled to reflect that. So you have to pay more dollars to get your kaldurs! Holy Hannah! :Just_Cuz_21:

Diablo 2 already was a kinda stupid game because of only like a few builds were viable without good gear. Such as the fishymancer.

I hope D3 fails hard so this thinking will not catch on in the gaming industry.

Jeff

Edited by claudius

I totally agree. Its OK if only grown-ups are playing online games these days but what about kids and grown-ups who act like kids? This will be like gambling don't you think? I read a news long time ago that in South Korea kids beat other kids senseless because of problems with trading stuff through online games, now multiply it coz of the money involve :viking::pirate: . Blizzard should think many times what they're unleashing first I hope this would not turn into a ------> :bomb: in their face in the future.

I was so looking forward to D3, but then I heard about this foolishness. It also requires an active inter-webs connection just to play the single player part. But wait, there ISN'T a single player part. All your stuff is stored on their servers and well, here's the dev feedback on that:

Blizzard Responds to Diablo III Online Requirements Feedback

A LOT of folks were upset over that mess and they guy actually had the nerve to be surprised. Go figure.

There are several things that are wrong with D3, this is one of them. Another is region locks, remember how you couldn't play with your Sacred 2 friends across the globe?

Diablo 2 already was a kinda stupid game because of only like a few builds were viable without good gear. Such as the fishymancer.

Absolutely not true :P There are plenty of viable builds, and they work fine without uber gear.

Of course, if your definition of "viable" means pwning everything on the screen with minimal effort...

I was so looking forward to D3, but then I heard about this foolishness. It also requires an active inter-webs connection just to play the single player part. But wait, there ISN'T a single player part. All your stuff is stored on their servers and well, here's the dev feedback on that:

Blizzard Responds to Diablo III Online Requirements Feedback

A LOT of folks were upset over that mess and they guy actually had the nerve to be surprised. Go figure.

Hackers are going to love that!

Stormwing - I agree especially on the Torchlight 2.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like part of Blizzards plan is to sell items for dollars. Imagine you buy sacred 2 pay your 50 dollars at opening. Then everyone online has a Kaldurs and the monster difficulty is scaled to reflect that. So you have to pay more dollars to get your kaldurs! Holy Hannah! :Just_Cuz_21:

It's not going to be quite like that Claudius, for you to be able to buy a Kaldur, someone else has to find one, decide not to use it & sell it instead.

Blizzard won't be selling you an item, another player will. All Blizzard's doing is providing you a secure manner in-game in which to trade with another player. The only difference between the real money auction house & the gold auction house is the currency used.

• 2 months later...

Ahh I have read up on it and I like the concept actually now. As one poster explained to me the value of an item will be determined by the 'fun factor'. Only flaw with that is that if I am not that into the game the market price will be higher than *my* fun factor which will kind of make an uphill battle to enjoy the game because it will seem I am not quite into it enough to invest in better items yet a sense I am missing something. Sort of like Dragon Age games and all the DLC games where you feel your not having the same experience if you don't have the DLC.

I thought the idea was kinda neat for trading to provide a currency. More smooth and liquid. It opens the door to small potatoes trading too. Normally you only bother trading Name Items. But this way if I find a mediocre but still utilitarian weapon I can post '50 cents nice sword' and maybe someone will turn up if the realm is busy at least.

I also have that dream of playing D3 as much as sacred 2 and earning the cost of the game from all the items I found. Dark Matters could be rich if it sold it's stash of shadow warrior armor in an auction hehe we filled those mules up!

I have mixed feelings about this. I hope a bunch of us in D.a.r.k are gonna be interesetd in playing though! But hope I get a good "feeling" from all this online buying... dunno, but stuff like mmorpgs etc kinda turns me off with all the "massiveness" of the world lol. I hope D3 can keep some charm, like Sacred does for me.

:)

gogo