Guild Wars 2 - Dress to Survive

GW2 is not hardcore, but dying is still no fun. There is the cost in time and silver, and the "joy" of seeing your beloved character take a dirt nap.

IMO, surviving starts with gear. I would suggest a survival bonus in every piece of armor and accessory. I prefer a mix of Toughness and Vitality.

In jewelry, Beryl, Chrysocola, Emerald and Sapphire are possible options.

For armor, you can have the bonuses inherent in the armor itself, from runes, or in both. Just remember that runes must be in sets for the most benefit (2 Minor, 4 Major or 6 Superior).

Would you mind sharing pics of items that are good examples of what you mean? I personally know what you mean, I want you to share it for others. I also plan on sharing pics when I won't be on my phone.

Max

I totally agree Toughness and Vitality are a must have in abundance for GW2. In past games I have played the amount of damage was generally most important (unless you were a healer type or tank). I find that not to be so for GW2 tho... HMMMM could Anebe trying to tell us something with all that Vit and T'ness being so abundance on just about every piece of equipment out there.

When I first started gearing my Character I went for Power and Precision just like everyone I saw posted on different forums. But It didn't matter how hard I hit, I was always dead (and I spent a fortune in repair). Then one day in WvW I got so piffed off by a thief that kept stalking me and killing me, that I thought I'm show him the next time he wont be able to kill me. I spent all my money, sold everything I could even and respec'ed for Toughness and Vitality. OMG I got such a thrill when the next thief that targeted me I SMOOSHED HIM.... The amazing thing is, I didn't really even notice a drop in my damage. Yes it went down a tad, but not nearly in comparison to how much harder I was to kill.

Just a note tho, I have since respec'ed and replaced most of my gear again and this time I ended up with more Vit then T'ness and to me it seems I am easier to kill, therefore I'mma work on lowering vitality and raising toughness. I will edit my post and add what I currently rock, when I can access the game next.

Edit:

So here are my stats for my level 80 Ranger

Power 1870

Precision 1291

Toughness 1197

Vitality 1675

Attack 2870

Crit 22%

Armor 2093

Health 22,672

My goal is to switch my T & V and go for a bit more Precision as well. Since I still have 5x items left to upgrade I think its doable.

Edited by Kiyeri

I had this idea while I was having lunch today. I made a breakdown of all my gear in a spreadsheet so I can take a look at the bonuses I have and analyze my gear pros and cons.

Here it is :

flooximelementaleroct20.jpg

I'll work to make it for all the professions.

Tell me what you think (of both the sheet and what's on it).

Max

Regarding the layout, I would include Runes with the armor they are in.

Regarding the content, IMHO you have too many blanks in the Toughness and Vitality columns.

OK, well I take back what I said about the runes. They do need to be separate.

I am attaching my numbers.

You don't seem to have Toughness and Vit in your gear. Do you plan on changing your gear to have at least one of these attributes on each piece?

Max

EDIT : I had time to work more on the sheet, here's the result (with my Elementalist gear in it) :

flooximelementaleroct20.jpg

Tell me what you think. I hope all the grey color is not that much of a problem.

Edited by Flooxim

I am happy with my armor. Every piece has a rune that grants Toughness/Vitality.

Is there a reason to split out sigils? I just included them in the weapons themselves.

I am happy with my armor. Every piece has a rune that grants Toughness/Vitality.

Is there a reason to split out sigils? I just included them in the weapons themselves.

I should try to get this kind of rune during the coming week, so I'll be less and less squishy with time.

I decided to split sigils mostly because I didn't felt the need for another column on the sheet for the moment (leaves it open for when another useful stat/info comes up in-game), and because I want the player to show what the sigils do, just like the runes.

Max

• 7 months later...

Bumping this topic because I decided to make a table of my own containing the main Armor in the game as well as the Dungeon NPCs who sells them :

jb7u.png

Feel free to print it and use it.

Edited by Flooxim
  • 4 weeks later...

You can also either make the armor through crafting or trade in world vs world badges for differing armor as well.

Most of the exotic armor and weaponry now I use for all my toons come from a world vs world vendor, and most of it is knight's, because of the superior toughness. In W v W, toughness reigns. Period, end of discussion =0)

• Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing this with us JK, I suddenly got a whole lot of Badges of Honor with all those achievement chests, so I was wondering what was available from the vendors in World vs. World. Looks like I could be getting a full set of level 80 exotic armor for less trouble than the other ways to get armor.
If I did the math right, each armor set (6 pieces) would cost 5.44gold + 950 badges. A set of trinkets (amulet, rings + accessories) would cost 3.44gold + 880 badges.

You can also buy with karma, although the karma stats are slightly less than the actual exotic stats. But good to fill in the gaps while you are working toward your full exotic set. I normally buy the green karma weapons in order to build stack from sigils. I have sigil of bloodlust in main hand and off hand giving 2X +power on each kill. Running through the Ogre camp normally has me on 25 stacks and then I switch to my "real" weapons. Also works great against wolves because they summon more wolves and they can be killed fast.

Oh, and you can buy skins from the vendors too, so you don't have to be stuck with the original WvW skins.

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping this topic because ArenaNet started sharing Tips given by players on their Twitter page. This particular tip caught my interest :

Non-heavy armour classes, build up toughness, not vitality. You take less damage and heal for a higher % of HP.

What do you think? Do you agree? Could you explain why you agree or not?

Bumping this topic because ArenaNet started sharing Tips given by players on their Twitter page. This particular tip caught my interest :

Non-heavy armour classes, build up toughness, not vitality. You take less damage and heal for a higher % of HP.

What do you think? Do you agree? Could you explain why you agree or not?

For PvE, I disagree. It is a commonlly held belief that Toughness pulls more aggro. I subscribe to that belief, so I spec Vitality for survivability. A squishy class that is an aggro magnet will end up as a greasy spot on the ground no matter how much Toughness they spec.
  • 3 weeks later...