Is Sacred 2 a prequel?

Yes it is a prequel. The technology is more advanced because it was from a "Golden Age" before everything went to pieces. The same way you see people in post-apocalyptic films living in medieval conditions in the ruins of cities like London etc. Just imagine how medieval life would be now if an apocalypse happend and most of the benefts of civillisation were lost. That's what happened between the two Sacreds and if you watch the intro video from the Blind Guardian he asks whether you will save Ancaria or cast into the fiery abyss? Well guess what, someone did cast it into the abyss and now hundreds of years later, Sacred 1 is what things have become.

Oh that really answered my question :))

So that means the Canon Ending for Sacred 2 was the Shadow/Bad ending of some sort? So they had to start again with the "OLD" way of living? Also, one thing that made me think is why was the Seraphim the only one that was retained in Sacred 1.

Is there a wiki page for this? I seem to be more interested in reading the connection between the 2 games ^^

Sacred 1 cant tell anything about Sacred 2, because they were released in reverse order. But I don't think the Bad Ending in Sacred 2 is canon - there would be obvious holes in the world left from THAT ending.

Also, one thing that made me think is why was the Seraphim the only one that was retained in Sacred 1.

The Seraphim is the poster girl and mascot of the series. That's why she is also in that other game we do not mention.

As for game to game classes... In Sacred 1 the dryads are still there, as enemies. And the dwarves haven't came out yet in Sacred 2 (use the log to read the books you find). The elves are still elves. Humans are humans.

I really did not understand that (or maybe coz I skimmed id xD)

Short version: lazy mages took the jobs of scientists.

I would consider the Light path ending canon. Remember all the advanced technology is T-Energy based, and in the Light path you turn off the great machine and drain all the T-Energy from the world. It's easy to see how afterward, the world of Sacred 1 could develop from that. The Elves would lose their technological upper hand and therefore their stranglehold on the humans, and therefore their dominance over the rest of the world would be lost.

From there all the events that we know from the background of Sacred 1 could happen. The elves splitting into factions based on Shadow and Light (nobility vs. inquisition becomes wood elves vs. dark elves), the Dryad land was cast into the Underworld as the result of some mage or demon (can't quite remember the reason). The Dwarves, only a legend in Sacred 2, come out and start adventuring in Sacred 1. The Orcs have to migrate from Nor-Plat down to the desert (again can't remember the reason, but it's in the lore).

I know the details have been more extensively explained in the past, so the links between the two games are there if you would try searching the forums. And maybe actually reading instead of skimming.

• Like! 1

Hope you won’t mind reading a page of text? I couldn’t make in shorter. :(

I don’t think quoting Fallout games is a good example - those games are more along the lines of being knocked back a couple of centuries, order vs. anarchy, and fun with radiation.

No, I believe the answer to why the medieval worlds of fantasy can go for several millennia without any major technological advances into steampunk or cyberpunk lies in easy abundance of magic powers granted at birth. Born a mage = go to mage school, levitate stuff, summon or fight daemons, party, die. Born not a mage or royally = farmer. And since magic is easy, adventurers are in abundance, there is no incentive for poor people to change things through hard work. Add the shackles of medieval cast system and you have millennia of same old comfy castles. Then there are the constant warlord wars, inquisitions, maniacs with easy power.

But our world has no magic, so you can’t solve problems as easily as waving a wand.

You can’t just summon an army of skeletons or demons. No, you need at least 2 decades of preparations to make a normal army from scratch. Best army design wins.

You can’t just find a guy who can summon meteorite showers at will. No, you need to build catapults. Best catapult design wins.

Got the plague? No miracle holy grails here. You need to research a cure the hard way.

See a pattern? Skills, knowledge, hard work, coping with failures in research are more rewarding when there is no easy solution. That’s why people go to become creators, scientists and engineers – it’s our world equivalent of mages. Our life may be hard without magic, but at the same time you are not born magically impaired. So if one man can become a great “mage” through cunning and hard work, what stops you from doing the same? But that’s another topic altogether.

Love this write up

Needs from available resources, setting up the modus operandi

And as resources change, or our ability to access them gets better or lessens, the MO changes as well

Enter the prestidigitatior!

:wizard:

gogo

I don't recall seeing anything in Sacred 1 about the Dwarf character having lost his memory. He mentions having to be on foot due to his flying machine having crashed, and that even though he is the last of his kind, he will still bring honor to the Dwarven race..

• Like! 1

This is what the dwarf says on the charterer select screen (English version):

"Once there were many like me, children of the earth, folk of the mountains. We populated a world below this world. Rich and mighty we were, enough that even kings would seek our assistance. But those times are gone, just like my kindred spirits. I am but the last of my kind, destined to preserve what is Sacred to the dwarven race. It’s not easy in times like these, but I will do my ancestors proud."

• Like! 1

Speaking of the Dwarf,

I remember trying him out (never played him) and he starts at a crash site. Was this explained?

Was he trying to escape something? (Resulting in him being the last of his kind; His other family/etc died?)

I don't know why and where he was flying (didn't play the Main Quest far), but it seams that Act 1 video was him having a dream vision while he was in flight.

crashed.jpg

Then again he might have just ran out of gas and the vision came to him as he was out on the ground.

Speaking of the Dwarf,

I remember trying him out (never played him) and he starts at a crash site. Was this explained?

Was he trying to escape something? (Resulting in him being the last of his kind; His other family/etc died?)

Nope.. No explanation.

I don't know why and where he was flying (didn't play the Main Quest far), but it seams that Act 1 video was him having a dream vision while he was in flight.

crashed.jpg

Then again he might have just ran out of gas and the vision came to him as he was out on the ground.

There isn't anything to say what happened to him. Not even in the Underworld Campaign when he meets his deceased brethren.

The vision you speak of is common to all of the classes. There isn't anything to say when the vision hit the Dwarf - was it while he was still in flight? or after he crashed? All we know about his origins is what we've been given - he is what he is and moves forward from there.

Now... That said.. I do have a theory.. Someone or something tore open a portal and thrust our Dwarven hero and his flying machine through time - to a point from where there were Dwarves running loose on Ancaria to a point in the far future where they no longer exist as a race.

• Like! 1