HolosBrothers Guide to Buff Suits

So here we are on a Beautiful Memorial Day afternoon, and the sky turns dark. The clouds have rolled in and the thunder and lightening had started. All of a sudden down comes the rain, and the lightening seems to be hitting right outside the house and OUT GO THE LIGHTS! Now, lights we can live without, but no internet or computer.... NO SACRED!

So here is Furian67 and I sitting in the living room, both of us browsing away on our smart phones ( Driod vs. iPhone). (DarkMatters of course!) And we start to discuss whatever comes to mind. The conversation goes to buff suits. Furian has been an avid buff suit builder ever since Console. I haven't ever really had any interest. So covertly, Furian starts to passively lead me towards some self discovery. But we can't test any of his assertions...but wait!

I quickly remember the laptop runs on battery power so we have something to do untill the electric comes back! Furian is convinced that you get all the benefits of a boosted buff even after you remove all the boosters. I had experienced this before with using a sword and shield socketed with all skills, but never took it to the limit of imagination.

So I quickly start a LAN session on the laptop (with no internet, and running on battery power) with a level 200 test High elf.

The Idea

Basically if one takes any Armor or Weapons with sockets and adds Niobium Runes to the sockets. The runes act as +6 Combat arts. If Buff Runes are used in Gear it effectively raises the CA level of the Buff. Along with the CA level, all the mods and bonuses of the Buff increase as well. Ultimatley however the Regeneration penalty to all Combat arts also goes up with the level of the buff.

However, the Buffs are permanent Spells. They stay up until the are deactivated. Removing the + Combat Art boosters does not lower the level the buff was Cast at. So....

By removing the Boosters from the buff it does, however, remove the Regen Penalty. Tis effectively gives back the Regens to be used by Attack Combat arts.

The Test

I set the test subject up as follows:

Arrant Pyromancer Lore = 75

Arrant Pyromancer Focus = 75

Delphic Arcane Lore = 75

Delphic Arcane Focus = 75

Concentration = 1

1 rune into Incandescent Skin (Modded for inferno, revenge, ardor) and oops! 2 runes into Grand Invigoration (Modded for Pyro, life energy, resilience).

Without Buff Suits

With no armor on and both buffs on I have these bonuses from the Sigma:

Chance to reflect: Close combat = 25.2%

Fire mitigation = 20.2%

Fire Damage = +52%

HP Regen = 25.5/s

Detrimental magic effects = 23.4%

Regen Pyro = -10.7%

Regen = -10.7%

Regen Pyro = -29.5%

With Buff Suits

Now I built 2 buff suites.

1. Full Pyro set socketed with all niob Incandescent Skin Runes = +106 to Fire skin

2. Full Delphic set with all niob Grand Invigoration runes = +176 to GI

Next I equip each suit and cast the buff, rinse and repeat.

Now with no gear on but with both buffs on from boosted suits:

Chance to reflect: close Combat = 53%

Fire mitigation = 40%

Fire damage = 250.6

HP regen = 937.5

Detrimental Magic Effects = -39.3%

Regen pyro = -55.7%

Regen = -55.7%

Regen Pyro = - 70.6%

Regen penalty from Fireskin after buff suit is 1.3%

Summary

So we were able to get CA level 100 buff bonuses from level 1 Buffs. This is merely 1 example of the benefits of a buff suit. Imagine a Warding Energy buff with level 100 benefits with on level 1 regen penalty or Grim Resilience with level 100 bonuses with level 1 regen penalty. The options are endless, and this would allow one to raise CA levels of spells and attacks even higher with less penalties from Buffs. In combination with RpH, this could honestly make for some really powerful builds.

Niob level Runes are +6 to the CA and are level 50 when socketed into gear. Plat are plus 4 with level 35 when socked. See the Wiki page here for more details on Runes.

Woo hoo! the power is back on and Furian67 just bolted for his computer!

Notes

A buff suit can be made from any kind of gear with sockets in it, as well as a weapon and shield with sockets. +all All Skill can be added as well to gear or booster slots(in armor screen) to raise the focus level of the buff.

1. it seems that with only 1 Rune read into a Buff. Such as Incandescent Skin, runes or + Combat Arts are the most effective.

2. With Buffs with many Runes read, or even maxed out to 200, +All Skills (When there is an Aspect Focus skill Present) are most effective.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loco, Furian...god bless the outage! ha...someone has finally paperized this as actually working with some conclusive testing.

Good job guys!

I totally agree with buffery..it's almost priceless at the levels I love to play at, all the way to 140 niobium Just lately I've actually been carting around an almost-complete set of my secondary buff...just to slip it all on before casting my buff to get all the bonuses. This is working very very well now for my Caster, and it's great to see you guys putting the numbers together for everyone else here to see the huge results which translate into better regens, protection and damage.

Thank you!

:)

gogo

p.s. awww, I was expecting a ghost story with that almost-macabre introduction to this guide :bounce:

It also looks like for toons that have already eaten buff runes, that a mixture of buff runes and socketed +all skills can be used to squeeze out as much as you can from your buffs. But for the "New" toons to keep your buff runes at a minimal and use the "Buff Suit" will allow for very low regen times with most all of the benefits of the high buff. Some buffs will still be able to be eaten ie: Grand Invigoration. Some you wont get the damage that it shows but by working the numbers and amount of buffs eaten and using RPH I think you can actually get better performance out of your builds.

This is some great information, good work guys!

I haven't really been running any booster gear, but I will definitely be doing so now :bounce:

It also looks like for toons that have already eaten buff runes, that a mixture of buff runes and socketed +all skills can be used to squeeze out as much as you can from your buffs. But for the "New" toons to keep your buff runes at a minimal and use the "Buff Suit" will allow for very low regen times with most all of the benefits of the high buff. Some buffs will still be able to be eaten ie: Grand Invigoration. Some you wont get the damage that it shows but by working the numbers and amount of buffs eaten and using RPH I think you can actually get better performance out of your builds.

Oh, and the fun of optimizing some buffs, like shields (warding energy and T-energy shroud) adding max shield energy, willpower, etc...

I've gone with a general rule to have runes in buffs to keep the TOTAL regen penalty from buffs around 30%. This is a bit high, but with 2 buffs, then they would be 15% each, and with 3, 10% each. Helps with the socketing of CA skills/allskills/whatever to get the buff level and/or effects boosted as high as possible. Although, I only build one buff suit, boosting both (or all 3) buffs with the one setup. :)

I think another use of a buff suit is topping off the CA levels even more so than they already are. For example eat 100-200 runes and THEN put on the buff suit and pump it even higher. Not as good regenerations of course but usually the buffs benefit is worth the regeneration aside from a few buffs where it isn't.

Massively great idea people! :) Way to go! I'm now very thankful for the power outage.

Couldn't the same kind of thinking apply to combos? :D

Build a suit for each part of the combo... modify the combo part by part to maximize the levels of all CAs in the combos... and you have one super powerful combo! Or... is everybody doing this already... and I'm a bit late to the party?

Edited by FrostElfGuard

I agree in the case of a build with 200 runes already maxed into the buff, than +all skills to raise the focus level will have more impact to the CA level of your buffs.

However, in building my next character I will deviate from my normal build style. In the past I always keep my attack CAs at 1 rune and pump my buffs to gain maximum benefit. I will no longer do this. I will keep buffs at 1 rune and use bonuses from Buff Suits to raise the bonuses of my buffs. This should drastically lower my regens on attack CAs and allow me to raise the CA levels of my attacks earlier in the game than normal and with RpH this should make for some very interesting kill power. Which may also allow me more freedom in my socketing choices to move to more spell resistance and evade of CAs than before.

Massively great idea people! :unsure: Way to go! I'm now very thankful for the power outage.

Couldn't the same kind of thinking apply to combos? :D

Build a suit for each part of the combo... modify the combo part by part to maximize the levels of all CAs in the combos... and you have one super powerful combo! Or... is everybody doing this already... and I'm a bit late to the party?

While this worked in the original Sacred, in this game im pretty sure the Combat Arts in the combo are automatically adjusted to the level that they are at for your toon.

I agree in the case of a build with 200 runes already maxed into the buff, than +all skills to raise the focus level will have more impact to the CA level of your buffs.

However, in building my next character I will deviate from my normal build style. In the past I always keep my attack CAs at 1 rune and pump my buffs to gain maximum benefit. I will no longer do this. I will keep buffs at 1 rune and use bonuses from Buff Suits to raise the bonuses of my buffs. This should drastically lower my regens on attack CAs and allow me to raise the CA levels of my attacks earlier in the game than normal and with RpH this should make for some very interesting kill power. Which may also allow me more freedom in my socketing choices to move to more spell resistance and evade of CAs than before.

I'm on my 3rd toon doing this... great way to have rune-pumped Combat Arts instead of shopping out the jewellery for increasing the Combat Arts. I now see the very strong argument for pumping Stamina in a lot of builds.

Enjoy... it's kinda like a different game this way!

Do the Germans know about this on the official SIF (in German)?

To what purpose? I don't visit the SIF so I couldn't say what they know over there. But anyone is welcome to come visit us here at our home.

Edited by Furian67
If only I could hot key my armor sets!

Yes that would be nice. Its a bit of a pain to do but the benefits are awesome.

If only I could hot key my armor sets!

ahhh, dang, good idea....

I remember in first Sacred... I would be carrying around an RBOL set in my personal inventory...then flip it on and cast it in the middle of the game just cuz I had to get that extra few levels.

See what this game makes us do

:P

gogo

Hey cool! The power should go off more often. :P Nice work you guys. The buff suit sounds like an excellent technique for getting more bang. :respect:

Do the Germans know about this on the official SIF (in German)?

To what purpose? I don't visit the SIF so I couldn't say what they know over there. But anyone is welcome to come visit us here at our home.

Well said Chris...^^^ very matter of fact.

From reading this informative information. I recall a very similiar scenario while playing diablo. An almost identical ~not exact but very close~ approach to becoming insainly overpowered even at very low levels.

Is it fair to offer up: booster suits are the future? I cant imagine why not. These suits will become a virtual credit card. "Never leave home without it."

PRICELESS

I remain, Etherian

P.S.- one quick question on my way out. If boosting buffs to such high lvls and already attaining faster then light kill speeds. Would it really be necessary to boost Combat Arts as well? :thumbsup:

If you take your idea a bit further:

Energy shields are not shown on consoles. The passive bonus of energy shields keep up even if the shield energy has gone: combat art reflect, damage mitigation, .....

So if you play a seraphim or TG on the console: You could just take the focus for the e-shield buff, boost the buff with a starter-set and use the 2 free skills you get (no lore, no Warding Energy Lore) to take other defensive skills.

I played something similiar with my TG-Dampfläufer on PC (a deadly spears build without a battery- needed RpH in close combat and shooting with right arm was slowing down kill speed). The energy-shield was mainly for spell reflect.

Anyone else did builds with energy-shields just for the passive bonus and not for the virtual life points?

If you take your idea a bit further:

Energy shields are not shown on consoles. The passive bonus of energy shields keep up even if the shield energy has gone: combat art reflect, damage mitigation, .....

So if you play a seraphim or TG on the console: You could just take the focus for the e-shield buff, boost the buff with a starter-set and use the 2 free skills you get (no lore, no Warding Energy Lore) to take other defensive skills.

I played something similiar with my TG-Dampfläufer on PC (a deadly spears build without a battery- needed RpH in close combat and shooting with right arm was slowing down kill speed). The energy-shield was mainly for spell reflect.

Anyone else did builds with energy-shields just for the passive bonus and not for the virtual life points?

Hrm... interesting, and feasable with multiple-Combat Alerts (not buff, re-casting before the 1st one wears off).

I did do the Dryad - Sinister Predator buff with a dual-weilder (for the criticals and COCE bonuses) kinda same idea but obviously a little different. I do believe that the passive (modification) bonuses do hold from casting at high-level (ie, they do not shrink when the buff suit is taken off).

Do the other mods stay while the shield's down Cladius? I didn't think they did (though I can't remember the last time I checked).

One thing about shields (Warding Energy/T-energy Shroud), their stats are partially based on the current level of the buff. The shield energy is (IIRC) based on the current level & there are some mods for that which will be based on the cast level, damage reduction is based on cast level.

Do the other mods stay while the shield's down Cladius? I didn't think they did (though I can't remember the last time I checked).

One thing about shields (Warding Energy/T-energy Shroud), their stats are partially based on the current level of the buff. The shield energy is (IIRC) based on the current level & there are some mods for that which will be based on the cast level, damage reduction is based on cast level.

Ahhh... cool. I had wondered where Absorption energy and/or Block energy were applied. On console, it's tough to see/tell what's going on with pre-cast buffs.

When I had my last TG, I was pre-casting T-Energy Shroud with +Shield Energy %, Willpower to boost the totaly energy... but again, it's hard to tell that I was or was not getting the huge shield energies. I thought I was getting the benefit, but didn't really test it.

Ahhh... cool. I had wondered where Absorption energy and/or Block energy were applied. On console, it's tough to see/tell what's going on with pre-cast buffs.

When I had my last TG, I was pre-casting T-Energy Shroud with +Shield Energy %, Willpower to boost the totaly energy... but again, it's hard to tell that I was or was not getting the huge shield energies. I thought I was getting the benefit, but didn't really test it.

Well I just tested it for ya on the most recent Ice and Blood patch, (although I dont think there will be any differences between that and console) and max shield energy +xx% and willpower both effect the energy dynamically, I.e. removing them after casting you shield will have the same effect as casting it without them on. +Combat Arts however remain as they boost the base energy of the shield so a suit to boost the level of you're t-energy shroud will work. Not sure what happens if your shield goes down in battle though...will check that.

EDIT: Even if the shield goes down, the level that you boosted it to via +Combat Arts remains in effect.

Edited by Dragon Brother
Well I just tested it for ya on the most recent Ice and Blood patch, (although I dont think there will be any differences between that and console) and max shield energy +xx% and willpower both effect the energy dynamically, I.e. removing them after casting you shield will have the same effect as casting it without them on. +Combat Arts however remain as they boost the base energy of the shield so a suit to boost the level of you're t-energy shroud will work. Not sure what happens if your shield goes down in battle though...will check that.

EDIT: Even if the shield goes down, the level that you boosted it to via +Combat Arts remains in effect.

Many thanks! So, we need to have the willpower/shield energy=% on the adventuring suit, but we can keep the block and absorbtion energy on the buff suit, since they are "set" upon casting?

Hrm... anyone have experience with the BFG? It's the only other buff I would wonder how it works with pre-casting.