Be afraid, be very afraid !!

Got into a conversation the other night about my work and was trying to explain some of things I do....

Well one thing I do, is work for a nuclear plant...in the control room.....fixing all their equipment...kind of like Homer Simpson :) Scared yet ?

Actually I been doing a lot of work at their Simulator. It's a complete, fully functional mock-up of the real control room. Everything is the same down to shade of paint, type of screws etc. If a label is misspelled in the real control room, then it will be misspelled here too !...not kidding :) The only difference that instead of all the switches/lights/gauges/recorders etc being hooked up to reactor, it's all connected to a computer. With the computer you can run numerous scenarios, run training exercises and they also use it to evaluate new problems and how to solve them quicker.

Here's a pic of what it looks like (I couldn't post pic of actual room but this is very close to it)

nuke.jpg

Edited by Knuckles
Everything is the same down to shade of paint, type of screws etc. If a label is misspelled in the real control room, then it will be misspelled here too !...not kidding.

nuke.jpg

Ok. THAT scares me. I mean really... You'd think they would rather correct the mistake instead of duplicating it, lol. But seriously though... Soooo many shiny buttons. *tries to fight off the urge to push*

Cool job Knuckles. Need an assistant button pusher? ^^

Oh that's so cooool :whistle: You couldn't have picked a better pic...Ex-Navy here :)

I was in the army's navy..

Did you know, the Army has more boats than the navy.. Ford Island, Hawaii, 6 years worth.

Edited by Jetcutter

Did you know, the Army has more boats than the navy.. Ford Island, Hawaii, 6 years worth.

That would be because the navy has lots of SHIPS not boats.... (those boats be called submarines) plus our own pet "army" called the us marines....

Edited by Genenut

That would be because the navy has lots of SHIPS not boats.... (those boats be called submarines) plus our own pet "army" called the us marines....

Good catch Gene!!

Now you can be really afraid....they gave me the swipe card and password for the entire building :( (wonder if it works at the real one ?)

@ bhj...I honestly don't know what the plant is capable of....will be back there next friday and can find out

@ jetcutter....very cool....guess I know how you came up with your forum name :)