How Exactly Does Armor Affect the Regeneration % Bar?

Alright so I was doing some experimentation with different pieces of armor tonight in order to see how they affected my 'Regeneration %', the yellow bar at the bottom of the inventory screen. I made a level 1 character with no investment in Armor Lore.

I only equipped items that did NOT say "Regeneration Penalty", either + or -, in the item description. Yet, even these armor pieces, that didn't explicitly say Regeneration Penalty in the item description, still affected my Regen % bar. Some pieces raised it, and some pieces lowered it. Some pieces did nothing at all (most did though). The % they raised or lowered it was always different, I.e. some raised it by 2%, some raised by 14 %, some lowered it by 4%, some lowered it by only .3%. Also, even items of the same TYPE lowered or raised at different values, so certain pants would raise it, and certain other pants would lower it, and always at seemingly random values.

Again, all the armor pieces I experimented with did NOT say Regen Penalty, either + or -, in the item's description. So what gives? There was no way to tell whether an armor piece was going to raise or lower the regen % bar, and there was no logic or pattern behind it either. It always seemed random, and there was no visual explanation of anything. I'm very confused by this...

How are you supposed to tell when and by how much a piece of armor is going to raise or lower your regen % bar if it doesn't even tell you in the item's description?

Did some of the armor have other mods like a bonus to Stamina ? Was the level of the armor ? Did you look at armor before and after equipping ?

I would have to do the same and check with a level one character. But as Antitrust said, everyone takes Armor Lore...otherwise almost any armor you find will result in a regen and/or movement penalty especially armor that higher than your level. (The movement penalty is not applied if on a mount)

Did some of the armor have other mods like a bonus to Stamina ? Was the level of the armor ? Did you look at armor before and after equipping ?

I would have to do the same and check with a level one character. But as Antitrust said, everyone takes Armor Lore...otherwise almost any armor you find will result in a regen and/or movement penalty especially armor that higher than your level. (The movement penalty is not applied if on a mount)

Nope, none of the armor had any mods. The level of the armor was the same level as me (no speed penalties). And yes I always checked before and after.

The thing that's bothering me is that it seems even armor pieces that do NOT say "Regen Penalty" on them still give you Regen Penalty....

What's a good general rule for lvling up Armor Lore? Should you keep it at the same level as your character? Because I heard that as your character lvls up the regen penalty goes up too...

Because I heard that as your character lvls up the regen penalty goes up too...

Not quite true. One of the reasons why your regen MAY go up as you level is because the armor you are wearing has heavier regen penalties that come with the extra benefits they offer at higher levels...

Regarding when to put points into Armor Lore..it's usually my third to last skill and I usually only end up putting points into it if I'm taking damage before level 75. Other than that I just let the plus skills I socket into my armor give me the points...unless I'm taking too much damage.

:D

gogo