The Gods of Sacred 2

I was wondering on how the gods gained their names so I stopped playing (GASP) and actually did some research on them. I already knew that two of the Goddesses were based on Classical Mythology but I wanted to find out the others. This is all Idea based anyway so feel free to contribute :(

As for the gods, "Cybele" is the name of a Phrygian Goddess who was worshipped as the Earth Mother. Similar to Gaia of the Greeks. Ker is a shorterned version of "Keres" (Or Ceres, Depends on your point of view) who were evil spirits of the dead. On the battlefield, they seek out the dying and the wounded and drag them down to Tartaros. Another reference (From Wikipedia) could be towards that the Keres were the Telchines (stated by the Playwright Stesichorus (Influenced the great Aeschylus, the father of Tragedy)) and the "Telkines" were the main bosses in Titan Quest (Which is rather like Sacred2). (My A-Level in Classical Civilizations does come in use sometimes though rarely)

Forens must be shorterned from Forensics

(From Dictionary.com)

adjective

1. pertaining to, connected with, or used in courts of law or public discussion and debate.

2. adapted or suited to argumentation; rhetorical.

noun

3. forensics, (used with a singular or plural verb) the art or study of argumentation and formal debate.

I had to wiki the other gods though.

Lumen - The lumen (symbol: lm) is the SI unit of luminous flux, a measure of the perceived power of light.

Testa - the best I got was the Italian word "testare" (transitive) To test; to sample.

Kuan - I have nothing for this. any Ideas?

This is probably in the wrong forum to be honest so sorry about that.

^-- That's what I was thinking; a lore section would be cool :3

...Do we have a section for the books, even? o:

Kuan...I had an idea a bit ago on that one, but I've forgotten now XD; I'll go searching again, now o3o *all curious now*

EDIT: Oooh, so I did some digging;

The closest I came up with was Kuan-Yin (aka Guan-Yin), the goddess of compassion, also called the "Compassionate Rebel."

It is unfortunate that Buddhism's most enduring (and universal) contribution to the world has been insufficiently translated as compassion. The original Sanskrit word is 'karuna,' which holds within itself traces of the fragment 'ru,' meaning to weep. While the Oxford dictionary describes compassion as pity bordering on the merciful, karuna is actually our ability to relate to another in so intense a measure that the plight of the other affects us as much as if it had been our own.

The term karuna is central to the entire Buddhist tradition. It is frequently described as a love for all beings, equal in intensity to a mother's affection for her child. However, it is quite unlike conventional love (Sanskrit: priya, kama or trishna), which is rooted in dualistic thinking and is egoistic, possessive and exclusive, in contrast to the all-encompassing nature of compassion. The root meaning of karuna is said to be the anguished cry of deep sorrow and understanding that can only come from an unblemished sense of oneness with others.

It's ironic, because she seems to be the exact (or close to) opposite of Kuan in game; maybe they got the idea to make a reflection because of the following "Yin," thereby Kuan in game is the "Yang" to the goddess? o:

Edited by JaguarGal

Great Thread!

I'm sure Testa is from Tesla. I was fascinated by this guy for awhile...he invented almost everyting we love to use...including AC...which he was in a fight with Edison for regarding which way of distributing power would be the best for America. He also invented remote control... and when he died, all of his work...mysteriously hidden by the american government.

Rumor is...the guy came up with a way to transmit energy over the air, and light up cities from a distance.

He was even featured in a movie with two magicans trying to perfect the best, most deadly trick.

:(

gogo

That's a good thought~! Tesla was certainly crazy (crazy cool, that is <3); it makes a lot of sense.

Not only did he do the electricity thing, but he was studying vibrations, and came up with a box that ended up shaking all the buildings on the street to the point that the police came to him; "The quiet little vibration experiment produced an earthquake, a real earthquake in which people and buildings and everything in them got a more tremendous shaking than they did in any of the natural earthquakes that have visited the metropolis."

And there was also a Japanese film (K20: Legend of the Mask) that feature "Tesla's lost machine," which was what transmitted energy to any point in the world ;3

Well, I can just beat you on Kuan-Yin with Guan Yu (Kuan Yu if using the Wade-Giles romanization system) who is considered to be the Taoist God of War.

Though Guan Yu is respected as the epitome of loyalty and righteousness. Kuan only wants Blood to be spilt and regards those at peace deserve to die.

We can. If we get enough info together, we can definitely add a link to that page and call it "conjecture or something like that?"

We could stem it off this page on the Sacred 2 deities here:

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred_2:Deities

Or...someone can write a letter to Ascaron and just ask them where they came from

:)

gogo

Or...someone can write a letter to Ascaron and just ask them where they came from

Pff, why would we do that? It's too logical!

Besides, they seem all "secretsecret" about everything, most of the time 3:

It's just crazy enough to work

Also, I was thinking about linking the God's name on the Deity page to their respective books, which provide alittle insight about them.

Also, I was thinking about linking the God's name on the Deity page to their respective books, which provide a little insight about them.

That goes with what I was thinking earlier; the books linked up with the gods would be fun :3

Also, I was thinking about linking the God's name on the Deity page to their respective books, which provide a little insight about them.

That goes with what I was thinking earlier; the books linked up with the gods would be fun :3

Went ahead and linked them.

Note to Zeno, 2 of the book images are broken

For Some Reason, I Saw Testa Relating To Tesla, As In Tesla Coil, And Those Balls Were Like Lightning Instead Of T-Energy =P.

-Jamie.

Yuppers, that's what GoGo and I were speculating :3 It really makes a bit of sense, if you think about it.

For Some Reason, I Saw Testa Relating To Tesla, As In Tesla Coil, And Those Balls Were Like Lightning Instead Of T-Energy =P.

-Jamie.

Yuppers, that's what GoGo and I were speculating :3 It really makes a bit of sense, if you think about it.

Really?

So im Not COMPLETELY Crazy!

Yippie!

*Also, Im Still A Lot A Crazy :crazy: *

-Jamie.

• 3 weeks later...

yes yes, thread necromancy, but was reading this, and saw a few people post about lore of this game, aka the background story.

now there is a page for this on the wiki page, but it is rather.. minimalistic, to not say plain pathetic :P

I know most people play for just the hack and slash, but there are some people that like a good story behind the game.

maybe we can write up a bit larger background story?

the in game books provide alot of material and inspiration for a bases of it.

I know most people play for just the hack and slash, but there are some people that like a good story behind the game.

maybe we can write up a bit larger background story?

the in game books provide alot of material and inspiration for a bases of it.

Who was it...I think Flip (iamtheflip) was thinking about setting up a story-like thing that we could all write~

It sounded like a really cool idea, but I've forgotten a lot of details.

Jeeze, where have I been?! XD;

But anyways. He had some ideas~! We should bug him more ;3

Edited by JaguarGal
  • 4 weeks later...

Lumen is most likely from the Latin 'Lumen' meaning Light (and also Life).

Similarly, Forens is possibly from the Latin 'Forensis', although it does mean Forensic so it's anyone's guess as to which it really came from.

Kuan...mm, tricky... The closest I could find after poking google for a bit would be the deified warlord Kwan Kung - although he seems to be more justice and loyalty than fighting for fighting's sake...

• 1 year later...

I don't know, why I decided to resurrect this long dead thread. I just ran into some information and decided to share.

In some of the internal game files Ker is called Kali, just the same as ill-tempered Hindu Goddess who was described coming to the battlefield, drinking the blood of the slain, and dancing wildly after that. That and the Hindu-like many handed appearance proves that this is the origin of the Goddess of Chaos. Why she was renamed lately remains a question.

And by the way, the Gods still have no personal mentions on the wiki, the only way to provide the readers with some info on them is to link them to the book. Maybe we should create pages for them that would combine some info, notes, Divine Gift description and maybe the list of statues.