The Gods of Sacred 2

Yes, they are, but just listed there, with no additional info that may be put about them. Maybe you remember, that some time ago when you were proof-reading the pade for Kuan Priest, that gives you a White Griffin quest, you wondered why I linked Kuan's name to the book and not to his respective page. Back then we found out that there are no specific pages for the Gods and we should either link their names to the books or to the generic page with almost no info. At the same time we have some info about them - for example in this thread, but we just don't have a place to put it.

Yay, finally the gods get their pages! I bet they could be as interesting as this topic (Nice work Silver for digging this up, and Cathy for putting in those pages...finally! :bounce:). What you could do , Ysne, is distill what thoughts are on where the gods' names have come from. I'm not sure we're ever going to really know what the exact thought was in a Dev's mind when the names were created, but listing all the different historical ideas is a yummy read. The area could be predicated with something like:

References for this Deity's possible name or background

• reference
  • reference
  • reference

And then you can pull out info that others have forwarded her on this thread to the page. Yes, it's a kind of conjecture, not fact, but if we predicate it this way, we are actually going to be offering a well-reasoned and entertaining path down hypothesis alley.

:)

gogo

I think of adding some info on these pages, and probably a picture of each God's respective statue. I just thought that maybe staues picture them better than a portrain from the God-choosing menu. Hope nobody would mind if I work with these pages a bit.

Kuan

Watched this movie recently:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Cliff_(film)

And a general in the main battle later got the status close to a war-god.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guan_Yu

The 'problem' with languages having a different alphabet is how to translate names. So it seems that Kuan, Kwang, Guan are all tries to adapt the chinese name to a german spelling. Nowadays there are tries to have name translations standardized, but old writings still remain in literature.

I do not know if Kuan is related to Guan Yu, but some german books shorten his name just to Kuan.

I studied maths and I had always great frustration to find articles by searching for a name which was written totally differrent in differrent languages, often different in the same language:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pafnuty_Chebyshev

original Pafnutij L’vovič Čebyšëv

new standardized german writing: Pafnuti Lwowitsch Tschebyschow

old german writing :Tschebyscheff or Tschebyschew or Tschebyschev or ...

Well, today I really can't force myself to look at these CM translations. So I decided to spend some time on the wiki and do take part in all that God-related fuss that I started. I'm editing pages and adding all the stuff I can remember to them. Hope you don't mind me doing it. Now I'm more or less done with Ker, Forens and Kybele. At least I can't remember what else to write about them now. I'm pretty sure I will remember something later, and maybe any of you can find something to add too. Now I'll try to make something along these lines for the other three.

By the way, I agree about Guan Yu. Out of all mythological entities I can remember (and since I'm quite a mythology nerd, I can remember a lot) the chinese general who was deified and became a god of war fits the most. And now Guan Yu is one of the most remembered chinese deities, so it's most likely him.

As for the name spelling - it always was a problem. Even when I translate the texts for the CM patch, I encounter it frequently. Cyrillic and latin alphabets don't have an exact correspondence, so all the attempts on re-spelling the name give different results. Usually, re-spelling is based on the pronuncation, but it doesn't always help.

I was surprised with how many versions of Chebyshev's name you can list. And the most crazy fact is that noone of them exactly fits into the original russian pronuncation. Though on the other side, russian spelling of Cauchy's name is nothing like the original too (I studied maths too and this name is the first to come to my mind when I think of mathematical analysis). But at least there is only one of them.

Ahhh...I love that nascient template you have going on these pages. It already looks super organized, and, as usual, your ability to retrieve story and historical connections just from what you're seeing playing is already making this part of the sacred story tapestry richer. I'm glad you can find some sojourn in doing these pages as a break from your CM Patch translations.

The pix of the statues are outstanding

:)

gogo

I have had a chance to look at some of those pages now Silver and they look wonderful. I agree with Gogo that the template you have developed looks nice and very well organized.

I think this is your most likely candidate for Kuan.

"Kuan Kung, also known as Kuan Ti, is the Chinese god of war."

http://www.fengshuicrazy.com/business-wealth/kuan-kung-the-god-of-war.php

"To the Taoists and others, Kuan Ti was their God of War while the Buddhists confer upon him the great honour as their Protector."

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/history/kuanti-txt.htm

"He was a war god, who also protected people from evil demons"

http://www.historyforkids.org/learn/china/religion/kuanti.htm

Well, I'm done with my work there. At least for now. I simply can't remember what else to add to the Gods' pages. Yes, the lists of the God Quests ARE incomplete, but we need to check where exactly they are and how thay are named before adding them. And maybe I would add some more notes later. Also, while working with this all, I realised how confusing all the in-game information is. I have a strong feeling that the Books about the Gods were written in the beginning of the development - the Gods in the resulting game are very different from the description in the books. For example, according to his book, Testa should look exactly like the TG... and so on.

More names for Kuan... but it's the exactly same Deity. Strangely, but out of all the books of Chinese mythology that I read (and there were quite many of them) I encountered Guan Yu much more frequently then Kuan Kung. He is called Kuan Kung or Kuan Ti in various legends, but the real historical person behind this Deity was named Guan/Kuan Yu.

Edited by Silver_fox

More names for Kuan... but it's the exactly same Deity. Strangely, but out of all the books of Chinese mythology that I read (and there were quite many of them) I encountered Guan Yu much more frequently then Kuan Kung. He is called Kuan Kung or Kuan Ti in various legends, but the real historical person behind this Deity was named Guan/Kuan Yu.

I concede. You have indeed found the root person/god. From wikipedia on Guan Yu: "where his name may be given with various Anglicized spellings, including Kwan Dai, Kwan Tai, Kuan Ti, Kuan Kung, Wu Ti, Mo Dai, Guan Di, Kuan Yu, Kwan Yu, or Quan Yu"

Forens- a guess

Concordia domi, foris pax. (unity at home, peace abroad) It's a writing on the Holstentor, an Unesco World heritage and the old city gate of Lübeck.

Foris is latin and has the meaning of a city gate. The meaning shifted a bit to places outside the city gates. Forenses were people from outside the city gate.

My boss is from netherlands and I had to fill dutch tax formulas more than once without knowing the language more than I good guess from comparing to german. One word I remembered was Forensisme. I had to write down the kilometres I was driving in the companies car for private reasons and how much for work.

In dutch Forensisme has the meaning of commuting, to travel from home to work and back.

Add that the book of Forens reads that she travels from place to place...

Given that Ascaron at Aachen was very close to german/dutch border...

Been waiting to see the wiki updated on those deities, and it looks real nice. :) Having never used Ker before, Sakkara looks kinda cool. Almost wish to try her out if not for the fact you get trampled by that thing after a while. >>;

Been waiting to see the wiki updated on those deities, and it looks real nice. :) Having never used Ker before, Sakkara looks kinda cool. Almost wish to try her out if not for the fact you get trampled by that thing after a while. >>;

I tried it once right after character generation. Not a good idea since it will attack immediately at that point.

I tried it once right after character generation. Not a good idea since it will attack immediately at that point.

Heh. Yeah, that would probably be considered a very bad idea. ;) In fact, can't think of any time where using Ker as your deity would be a good idea. >>;

Heh. Yeah, that would probably be considered a very bad idea. ;) In fact, can't think of any time where using Ker as your deity would be a good idea. >>;

It's not THAT bad, actually... So long as you're playing as the Inquistor and you've got Mortifying Pillory set up properly, the Sakkara can be useful for a bit longer than it's normal duration. If you recall, Mortifying Pillory has you accusing one of your enemies of some really heinous crime. His friends will then turn on him and he will get a whoopin'.

So there you are in the Nameless Guardian's lair. You cast your God spell and there's the Sakkara demon. At first, he will go after the first guardian - but after his spell's worn off, he will come after you. So you cast MP on the guardian - and the Sakkara demon will then go after the guardian again. Lather, rinse, repeat until the last guardian is toast. Meanwhile - the guardians are also delivering hits to your demon, weakening him. When the final guardian is gone, you can use the teleporter system to leave the immediate area - which will make the Sakkara demon go away... Or you can kill off what, if anything is left of him.

It's not THAT bad, actually... So long as you're playing as the Inquistor and you've got Mortifying Pillory set up properly, the Sakkara can be useful for a bit longer than it's normal duration. If you recall, Mortifying Pillory has you accusing one of your enemies of some really heinous crime. His friends will then turn on him and he will get a whoopin'.

So there you are in the Nameless Guardian's lair. You cast your God spell and there's the Sakkara demon. At first, he will go after the first guardian - but after his spell's worn off, he will come after you. So you cast MP on the guardian - and the Sakkara demon will then go after the guardian again. Lather, rinse, repeat until the last guardian is toast. Meanwhile - the guardians are also delivering hits to your demon, weakening him. When the final guardian is gone, you can use the teleporter system to leave the immediate area - which will make the Sakkara demon go away... Or you can kill off what, if anything is left of him.

Wolfie you are brilliant at strategy.

Getting back on topic, the show Sanctuary does some real interesting things with Kali and Tesla as characters. I actually found out a few things I didn't know by doing searches based on what they have done with show plotlines.

Edited by Ysne58