Have weapon skill, yet still see red modifiers

Ok, so I have the Polearms skill and put a few points into it, to the point that it says that the max level polearm I can equip w/o penalty is 18. With that in mind, I keep seeing several polearms, lower than level 18, that have the text "Modifier: Polearms" in white (expected since I have the skill) but the actual bonus text in the details that says what polearms bonus I get still has stuff like "Chance to evade(Polearms)" and no number value after that. It looks to me as if I'm not getting the bonus. Am I correct? If so, why am I not getting the bonus?

Are You Sure You Chose Pole Arms, And The Weapon Is Modified By Pole Arms As Well?

-Jamie.

Yeah I definitely have Polearms selected, and the modifier is definitely polearms but the text is red as in my OP.

Another note, I am on the PS3. Maybe it's a PS3 glitch, because I've seen it across different characters and different weapon skills like Sword Weapons and the like.

Well, Im on PS3 And My Skills Work Just Fine.

So It Might Be Your PS3, Just That Character, Or Maybe Just Some World known Glitch, That I Lucked Out On?

-Jamie.

Any chance this was something fixed in a patch ? Seems weird that it works fine for Jrmoore but not for you

I wish that were the case but both Jmoore and I are in the US and have PS3s, which means we get the same patches at the same time. PSN patching system isn't a voluntary download system like most PC game patches.

Chance To Evade is governed by the ability Tactics Lore, I believe.

Polearms Ability just means you can use polearms better and faster.

Wow - my first help post! :cool:

Chance To Evade is governed by the ability Tactics Lore, I believe.

Polearms Ability just means you can use polearms better and faster.

Wow - my first help post! :D

That Really Didnt Help Much.. :cool:

We Are Just Trying To Find Out Why Nilianth Has The Skill Polearms, But Isnt Getting The Bonuses For The Ones That Say A Skill(Polearms)

We Are Just Trying To Find Out Why Nilianth Has The Skill Polearms, But Isnt Getting The Bonuses For The Ones That Say A Skill(Polearms)

Read the first post carefully again....

"Ok, so I have the Polearms skill and put a few points into it, to the point that it says that the max level polearm I can equip w/o penalty is 18. With that in mind, I keep seeing several polearms, lower than level 18, that have the text "Modifier: Polearms" in white (expected since I have the skill) but the actual bonus text in the details that says what polearms bonus I get still has stuff like "Chance to evade(Polearms)" and no number value after that. It looks to me as if I'm not getting the bonus. Am I correct? If so, why am I not getting the bonus?"

To me, that sounds like the bit that, without any weapon abilities, the "Modifier: Polearms" text would be in red, but as he has the ability, its in white.

The bonus "Chance To Evade" is a separate entity in itself, governed by Tactics Lore.

Its like me getting the Sword Weapons ability, not getting the Enhanced Perception ability, and then getting a sword with a bonus to Enhanced Perception.

The Sword Modifier text would be white, but the Enhanced Perception wouldn't read anything, as I don't have the ability that governs it.

Hence, he's got the Polearms Modifier in white (cos he's got the ability) but the Chance To Evade has no value, as he has not got the Tactics Lore ability.

I think.

Not Tactics Lore, I meant Combat Reflexes....

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacre...Combat_Reflexes

Read the first post carefully again....

"Ok, so I have the Polearms skill and put a few points into it, to the point that it says that the max level polearm I can equip w/o penalty is 18. With that in mind, I keep seeing several polearms, lower than level 18, that have the text "Modifier: Polearms" in white (expected since I have the skill) but the actual bonus text in the details that says what polearms bonus I get still has stuff like "Chance to evade(Polearms)" and no number value after that. It looks to me as if I'm not getting the bonus. Am I correct? If so, why am I not getting the bonus?"

To me, that sounds like the bit that, without any weapon abilities, the "Modifier: Polearms" text would be in red, but as he has the ability, its in white.

The bonus "Chance To Evade" is a separate entity in itself, governed by Tactics Lore.

Its like me getting the Sword Weapons ability, not getting the Enhanced Perception ability, and then getting a sword with a bonus to Enhanced Perception.

The Sword Modifier text would be white, but the Enhanced Perception wouldn't read anything, as I don't have the ability that governs it.

Hence, he's got the Polearms Modifier in white (cos he's got the ability) but the Chance To Evade has no value, as he has not got the Tactics Lore ability.

I think.

Not Tactics Lore, I meant Combat Reflexes....

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacre...Combat_Reflexes

I hope that's not the case, as that would mean it's buggy behavior. Any bonus that relies on a skill will have the (<skill name>) after the bonus. In my case, the weapons had the "bonus text(polearms)" indicating that polearms is the skill that's causing the issue. Combat Reflexes simply raises the chance to evade higher than it is without the skill, implying that there was a previous chance to begin with. I doubt it would 'take control' of the polearms modifier and make it red. Like I say, if that's the case, I'd consider it a bug.

Thanks for your input though!

Edited by nilihanth

I think the "Chance To Evade: Polarms" text means the chance to evade that particular weapon.... probably very valuable in PvP games.

If thats the case, then I'd say a simple case of getting Combat Reflexes would solve the problem and show you the percentage you can evade.

In fact, I'll put money on it.

Not much, mind. :cool:

No......... When It Says Chance To Evade:Polearms, That Means Once You Get Polearms, The Word Will Change To A Percentage..... And That Will Be Added To YOur Evade %.

-Jamie.

No......... When It Says Chance To Evade:Polearms, That Means Once You Get Polearms, The Word Will Change To A Percentage..... And That Will Be Added To YOur Evade %.

-Jamie.

Syntax is important in this case. The fact that "polearms" is in () changes the connotation of the statement, as opposed to following a colon. Chance to evade: polarms sounds like there's a chance to evade polearm weapons, as Blokeymon said. Chance to evade (polearms), knowing that polearms is a skill and knowing the game mechanics, implies that the polearms skill is governing the bonus on the item.

Anyway.....I'll be on the lookout for other weapons that may have different bonuses, other than chance to evade, that have the nasty red polearms text. Also keep in mind, I've seen it on other things other than polearms, but seemingly only the weapon lore skills.

Blokeymon, I have no intention of using combat reflexes on this build unfortunately, so I won't be able to take you up on that bet :cool:

I'm right! I'm right! Check it out!

http://www.clan-da.com/showpost.php?p=71108&postcount=6

Devout Guardian Focus (maxxed)

Tactics Lore (maxxed)

Armour Lore (damage reduction)

Concentration (to allow me to use 2 buffs)

Toughness (% damage reduction)

Combat Reflexes (% chance to evade & not be hit by weapon-based crits)

Also check this little tidbit out.

http://siliconknights.net/forums/showpost....;postcount=1516

I have a few points in combat reflexes and some armor that increases my defense and chance to evade.

I guarantee you choose Combat Reflex and your text will change from red into a percentage.

I'm right! I'm right! Check it out!

http://www.clan-da.com/showpost.php?p=71108&postcount=6

Devout Guardian Focus (maxxed)

Tactics Lore (maxxed)

Armour Lore (damage reduction)

Concentration (to allow me to use 2 buffs)

Toughness (% damage reduction)

Combat Reflexes (% chance to evade & not be hit by weapon-based crits)

Also check this little tidbit out.

http://siliconknights.net/forums/showpost....;postcount=1516

I have a few points in combat reflexes and some armor that increases my defense and chance to evade.

I guarantee you choose Combat Reflex and your text will change from red into a percentage.

Very interesting find, Blokeymon! Can't say that I'm happy about that, but good find nonetheless. So now I'm almost tempted to put Combat Reflexes in just for fun. I was trying to think of what to do with my extra skill slot that I didn't have a good plan for (since Blacksmith is jacked on consoles). Thanks for your diligence Blokeymon and Jmoore.