Magic Weapon Damage best against Bosses?

I was thinking about this. If Weaken is the Secondary Damage Effect that comes off the Damage Type Magic... if it lowers attributes, wouldn't this also have the same effect as Deep Wounds? We're talking about a lowering of monster hp here... useful against bosses? And if you can get a quick kill in during this fractions of femtoseconds whilst the boss is suffering from all that blood loss, we'd be looking at great kill speed here.

Anyone know how long weaken lasts? And about using Magic damage as our Boss Trump Card?

:)

gogo

Weaken doesn't seem to stack. Have to test it again when I am back at my play machine at weekend.

A way to test this is: use x% life leech shurikens against Bosses. x% life leech is calculated from the maximal hitpoints of the target.

So with 2% life leech and the target having 1000000 hitpoints you will see 20000 extra damage each time you hit.

After hitting the boss with a cobalt strike modified to weaken , this extra damage will go down to like 19000 damage. The first hit after the cobalt strike will still show 20000 damage. It seems you have to wait one burn effect (well burn if it would be fire DoT, I lack the english word for magic damage) before weakening is in effect. Following 7-8 hits will all show the lower extra damage, then it jumps back to normal extra damage.

If magic coup would trigger weakening effect and damage lore boost its effect and it would stack, that would be a hell of a magic coup elf, because not only the hitpoints would go down, the strength and dexterity and other stats would too.

Wonder how I can test it without damage lore in my melee elf. Thain's axe in one slot, and swapping to shuriken after a hit? Have bosses at same level always the same hitpoints or is there some random?

Great info and writup there Chattius, ty.

As a method of shortening the lives of a boss, it's especially attractive. No stacking for secondary damage effects...ayup, anyone know how long the effect lasts for?

Life leech percentage for the additional damage and Weaken... very attractive looking stack. Do the two mods work with each other?

gogo

Since weaken does not stack I would think it would not be the best weapon against boss. Presuming that it requires 20 hits to kill a boss. It would be a good debuff so the boss don't hit YOU hard.

But the best damage dealing would be the poison and fire, the DOTS. Then switch to weaken when the boss is closing in on dead.

What I'm hoping for is the weaken to last long enough for me to kill him in. I'm trying to have a boss experience that does not last longer than let's say 7 - 8 seconds, 10 seconds max (I am using a two hander, things go down very fast)

Do you know how long weaken lasts for? I'm not thinking to have it stack with another Weaken as a strategy...but am interested in knowing if it will be effective when stacked with Additional Damage (Life Leech Percentage) as well.

gogo

Thanks Ryan

If weaken lowers their attributes then... should we be seeing a decrease in an enemy's hp the moment we get a successful infliction? We would be causing a decrease in their Vitality, and I would believe this could equate to a flat number of hp?

I'm just trying to see how much of a decrease the hp reduction would be...what would affect his percentage as modded by the Weaken Secondary Damage Effect, and then see, if within that ten seconds, if we would get greater damage rendering via a few ticks of of either Burn or Poison or the Weaken.

:woot:

gogo

If you can kill the boss in 10 seconds then it doesn't matter which is most damaging to the boss. Because damage is solved.

Next you want to make sure the boss don't kill you. So use weaken or freeze.

If you can kill the boss in 10 seconds then it doesn't matter which is most damaging to the boss. Because damage is solved.

lol

For now.

My build, as are most of the mp builds these days is running on "borrowed" time. It's the extra damage delta from the niob smithing runes that is giving me the fast kill speeds I think, not necessarily my own build structure. As I approach niobium with my build, more and more of it's damage will have to come from more traditional sources as that delta slowly diminishes as I approach Niobium, and the awesome yield I am now experiencing will eventually cease.

The kill speed is the Niobium bonus on a low level toon, but ultimately that will e harder to keep up. This is why I'm so curious about the weaken effect and trying to ascertain whether it is indeed comparable to Deep Wounds. The Deep Wounds modifier is only availble via certain weapons, but if it's possible to emulate it with a Secondary Damage Effect, while stacking it with something else just as sinister, then there may be hope.

I'm looking to build in good habits from the early levels so that I don't konk out come post 100.

gogo