iPhone - Drone

FdmNews

MAV-VUE

MIT professor Missy Cummings used to fly F/A-18 Hornet fighters for the Navy. “I spent whole time complaining — who was the moron who designed this thing?” she recalled. If you’ve ever peeked inside a fighter cockpit, you’ll understand her gripe. Dials, displays and controls pack every nook and cranny. It’s the farthest thing from ergonomic.

The problem stuck with Cummings, after she got out of the Navy. She went on to get a Ph.D. in “cognitive systems engineering” before getting hired at MIT, where she heads the Humans and Automation Lab, or HAL. “There’s a joke in the name,” she pointed out.

Her crew of 30 grad students and undergrads is chasing a number of new ideas and technologies, all aimed at easing the sometimes unwieldy interactions between machines and their human masters. As an example, she refers to the complex, suitcase-sized controller that soldiers must haul around to control hand-thrown Raven unmanned aerial vehicles, or UAVs. Cummings wants something simpler. And what could be simpler than an iPhone?

Actually, using an iPhone was her undergrads’ idea — because experimenting with it as a basis for a new robot controller meant she’d have to buy them all iPhones of their own............

View the full article

Actually there are other ways. Considering the programmers have to be able to develop the programs for the phones there has to be some way to do it legitimately.

Actually there are other ways. Considering the programmers have to be able to develop the programs for the phones there has to be some way to do it legitimately.

Correct. I'm sure MIT has several people with Apple development licenses. Its easy enough to do. There are several people where I work that are developing for the iPhone and can toy around on the phones with what they're building as they please.