Sacred 2's Combat Art Names - Disaster

I was wondering what was going on. For the longest time now, I was wondering why I was finding it more difficult to read through builds and guides then from the first game, and then it finally clicked.

It's how Ascaron named all the Combat Arts. All the Combat Arts are now named with two words instead of as in Sacred, where a lot of them were with one word only. Strange, how this has affected information dispersal.

When we used to read build guides from the old game, any person who wasn't familiar with a class's Combat Arts could still get a good feel of the Combat Arts being used and then refer to them later on. because the CA would have been spelled in it's entirely being only one word.. and no real reason to make an acronym out of one word.

Not now

With the new names all being comprised of two words... Acronym Explosion. If you read through posts, you'll see acronyms being everywhere... and this is no fault of the Original Poster. There is simply no better way to quickly disseminate information rather than through the acronyms (who actually feels like writing all those words! :)) and because there are SO many acronyms in the posts, it makes a non-class first time reader have a difficult time reading a guide and quickly "grokking" what's going on, unless they have the SacredWiki Glossary with them right by their side! :lol:

I have found myself many times reading posts regarding other classes I don't play, and having a difficult time understanding what Combat Arts are being talked about, lol...and even in game, where time is so short, whereas in the old days someone would just write the word Attack, now we'll get FR (Frenzied Rampage btw :P), GR and SF... huh

I'm looking at Guild Wars ...almost all of their spells were one worded as well... it made understanding posts and guides much easier.

I understand wanting to be creative...but what a strange thing has happened here with Sacred 2

:lol:

gogo

noticed this the first day of playing. all aspects are also two words. most if not all mods are one word.

the annoying factor is that some classes have Combat Arts that when abbreviated are multiples of the same letters....

the high elf for example.

cascading shroud- cs

crystal skin- cs

cobalt strike- cs

incendiary shower- is

incandescent skin- is

I think the devs wanted to make the spells sound fancier, but it's a big fiasco and unncessary.

I have always liked the complex names when compared to the usual "Fireball" and "Cleave".

One has to say thou, that a few them cross the line, like Inexorable Subjugation (Two complex words many fully english speaking persons may not even the meaning of).

However, when it comes to the acronyms, I cannot quite agree. Most games tend to get their acronyms, even if it's spells are no more then 8 letters long. The people that play Guild Wars probably have their acronyms too, but it must be harder to apply there, considering the large amount of spells and abilities that game has.

If we are talking about guides then the guide should use full names with as little as possible of acronyms. Since in a way the guide is a work placed for public use be newcomers and experienced players alike. In cases where the writer chooses to go with acronyms then he should use a full name at the start with the acronym that he plans to use it after so that there is some reference.

As for other posts well there is no way full names can be used since who wants to do all that extra writing. :)

It's funny because I had really dug the complex names when the game first came out. Then realized how hard they are to remember and then post about!

:crazy:

gogo

SACRED 1 : Attack

SACRED 2 : Cobalt Strike

SACRED 3 : .. oh my god !

SACRED 10 : the combat art that rocks your mummy and kicks ass

I can say I'm kinda used to sacred world... but it took me some intensive reading to decipher the Sacred 2 Guides, and most of the time, because of acronyms, not because of the game mechanics. Hopefully, many guide writers use the full name...If you add to this that I'm french and the only reference I got is the french demo right now.... RP = Radiant Pillar = almost nothing related in the french demo... going slightly mad :D

I think this would be excellent feedback for Sacred3 wish thread.

Also to note: In S1 the game basics of Multi-hit, Attack and Hard Hit for melee/ranged characters were 'more obvious'. I'm pretty sure those three are the basis for the melee combat arts in Sacred 2. (And, so by extension S3).

Edited by FrostElfGuard

Being a casual gamer I found a lot of guides over on the SIF pure gobbledegook due to the use of acronyms.

Its so prevalent that you feel like a bit of a nerd if you actually spell out the words completely.l9iblush.gif