Lost in the Forest

I am going to tell you all a little story about how I spent my Saturday.

I recently moved my family 30 miles north to Victorville, CA. Of course this means a longer commute for me, but the kids are in a safer environment and attending a better school.

For those of you who are familiar with the area, you know that there is one main way to get from Rialto, CA to Victorville, CA: The 15 freeway. There are other ways, if you have a bit more time to waste….

So our story starts when I went back to my apartment to pack up some of the clothes and bring them up. We will move all the large items next week, with a rental truck. For now, I am stopping by on the way to work to load small items in my car.

On the way back I decided to try an alternate route. So I happily drove to a street named Waterman and made a left. A mountain loomed in my path and I cheerfully told my two youngest kids that we were going to drive up into the mountains.

A few moments later, we hit the mountain roads and as I watched the signs advising me that I was at 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000 feet I remembered that I was afraid of heights. So after 20 or so minutes of twisting roads I ended up in the Lake Arrowhead area. Now the idea was to turn onto another CA Interstate road that would take me into Hesperia, CA and the US395 which would take me to our new place. By the time I reached the 395 it would be a quick 20 mile drive.

The problems started when I hit US173. This road took me on a lovely tour of Lake Arrowhead and then into the forests, branches slapped at my windows. Before I realized what I had done, I ended unfinished road on the other side of the mountain. With barely room for one car, it is fortunate that I did not run into any cross-traffic. I am not sure how long I was on that path, but I crept along at 3 miles per hour, slipping back a bit when the road got a little steep.

When I finally made it out of the mountains, I entered what looked to be a camping ground of sorts. There was a family there and they looked surprised to see a Toyota Corolla come out of the mountains.

So another 30 minutes on the 173 brought me to another interstate which eventually brought me to a point on the 15 about halfway between my apartment and the new place in Victorville. I drove in a big circle.

But at least I had a great story to tell the family the next day at the park.

Great story! Ahh, serendipity in the car. They are great moments, and when they happen, it's easy to get "fed up" or, if we have some patience to just enjoy the journey.

lol, can't imagine driving a car up a mountain that high as accident...must have been frightening when that was happening?

Definitely something the family will chat up during get togethers.

So...where's the next trip to ?

:)

gogo

Great story! Ahh, serendipity in the car. They are great moments, and when they happen, it's easy to get "fed up" or, if we have some patience to just enjoy the journey.

lol, can't imagine driving a car up a mountain that high as accident...must have been frightening when that was happening?

Definitely something the family will chat up during get togethers.

So...where's the next trip to ?

:)

gogo

Well actually, some of the things I saw on my little trip may bring me back to the area. Some parts were like being in the town of Mayburry(the Andy Griffith show) And I saw this old wooding building with faded planks and the Dominos Pizza logo painted on it.

I think I will take the family there one weekend; but I will take the safer route.

Before I got married I would get myself lost on purpose. Then in the process of finding my way home I would find many hidden gems. That practice also meant that no matter how bad the traffic was on the way home, I had several alternate routes.

I love stumbling onto little "Towns that time forgot"

Lol @ Spock. Good thing for me I am driving a sub compact that still gets pretty good milage

You know, I wish I could find a good picture of where I was. My words are not sufficient to describe it. It was a very uneven dirt road studded with rocks of varying size. Much of the road was wide enough for a car and a half, but there were some spots that had me holding my breath. Even though I was terrified, I took a break every so often to admire the view.

You huffed and you puffed... and you found yourself back where you started:)

"You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike."

Good thing you were in America, and people (more or less) could speak the same language as you! :bounce:

Wow what an adventure! ;)

We sometimes get in similar situations when driving around in the Belgian Ardens, it can be quiet a jungle back there!

I'm glad you found your way back to civiliazation! :bounce:

cheers!

Chareos Rantras

Edited by Chareos Rantras
You weren'y lost, you just decided to take the scenic route since gas is so cheap now ...

Haha, indeed!

Sorry to hear you ended up so far out of your way! At least you didn't end up at some mysterious old abandoned carnival building, go through the tunnel on foot, and end up in the spirit world, getting turned into a pig! *nods* That'd be scary.

Maybe you should verify routes via Maps, now? 8D;;

Anyways. Glad you made it back safe, and with a story <3

~Jaggy

You weren'y lost, you just decided to take the scenic route since gas is so cheap now ...

Haha, indeed!

Sorry to hear you ended up so far out of your way! At least you didn't end up at some mysterious old abandoned carnival building, go through the tunnel on foot, and end up in the spirit world, getting turned into a pig! *nods* That'd be scary.

Maybe you should verify routes via Maps, now? 8D;;

Anyways. Glad you made it back safe, and with a story <3

~Jaggy

That was from Spirited Away, right? Good movie, though a little strange.

I had printed the route and looked at it several times. When I actually decided to go I forgot the map, but I thought I remembered it.

I had printed the route and looked at it several times. When I actually decided to go I forgot the map, but I thought I remembered it.

Indeed, it was ;3

Oh dear, that would probably be it. I have that issue, too, sometimes; you're so sure that you memorized something, and then life throws your answer back and says, "Nope! You FAIL!" Good times, good times...

Now you know not to go anywhere without your towel! I mean...map!

Indeed, it was ;3

Oh dear, that would probably be it. I have that issue, too, sometimes; you're so sure that you memorized something, and then life throws your answer back and says, "Nope! You FAIL!" Good times, good times...

Now you know not to go anywhere without your towel! I mean...map!

And never ever forget your cookie box! :drool:

cheers!

Chareos Rantras