Attack speed - some characters attack with certain weapons faster?

Read this in attack speed section on wiki "Additionally, certain characters have a natural ability to use some weapons faster than other characters.".

Does this mean that for example a dryad can shoot bows faster than seraphim can even if both have an equivalent level in ranged weapons?

Or for example that seraphim can swing a sword faster than shadow warrior if both have an equivalent level in sword weapons?

What details are known about this? I have not come across this before.

So far on the Ps3 I haven't noticed any differences between characters when it comes to weapons aside from the obvious. Some characters can't use certain types, Dryad for instance can't use any energy weapons, while the TG can't use any Two handed weapons. simple stuff like that. I have however noted a few things about their basic unmodified attack speeds

as a percent that might be easier to read for most...

1H sword- includes the following, long, Barsteward, saber 100%-normal speed

Short-swords ~115%- noticably faster but compensates with low damage

Daggers ~125%- incredibly fast, minimal damage unless modified ; )

Axes- 100% roughly the same as 1h swords

Hammers- 95% slightly slower than normal about the same as polearms, and two handed swords

Clubs- 105% slightly faster but less damage than the others to compensate akin to short-swords(still better damage then most regular swords though)

That is all I've got for now, I based the percents on swings per minute, cause obviously not every swing hits, so hits per minute would be skewed. These swings were all done at "Attack Speed: 100%" according to the "game overview" screen that lists it.

If you watch closely you notice that at least for left clicks there are up to three animations for left click attacks of the same weapon type. A friend did picture for picture analysis and even these animations for the same weapon on the same character had different animation speed/duration.

I don't know at the moment which weapons and which class High Elf analysed.

For daggers, I still try to get information in the double-d girls thread if armour piercing is put in calculation before or after armour calculation. In the demigod thread we tried to analyse how damage reduction by armour is done and it seems that having no armour greatly boosts the damage above the shown value in the damage window.

I think a well build double dagger build should do really damage (double and more, double daggers and double damage = double-d) if the calculation and the theory proves to be right.

Edited by chattius

Interesting about the speed of different weapons and thanks for the info. I'll look at the daggers thread too. What I was wondering is if for example a seraphim and a shadow warrior with attack speed 100% swing the same weapon at the same speed or not.

Yes that seems to be true. These speeds are also modified by mounts.

What post were you referring to antitrust? do you think that if 2 different classes have the same weapon and the same attack speed, they will or will not hit with the same speed? If there is a difference between speed of Shadow Warrior and seraphim swinging a sword at 100% attack speed for example this would be interesting to put on wiki.

Also would be interesting to put on wiki the effect of sitting on a mount on attack speed.

We don't have ability to calculate weapon speeds. Devs said it's extremely hard to extract that info even for them. I suppose an approximate estimate could be made, but ...

You can see mount effects by using a Dual Wield seraphim with pelting strikes. The speed of normal attacks increases on tiger, but the speed of Pelting Strikes decreases.

Hey guys

This topic filling up well with good info. I've opened up a new page in the wiki called Attack Speed:

Attack Speed

Ka, if there's any info you want to fill up in it, the slate is open, you or anyone else. So far only very base info in it, but I will bring uniques into it as well with time.

:tease:

gogo

There are weapon combat arts which use a magical lore and not attack speed: magic coup for example. Magic coup uses arcane lore to speed the attacks. And since attack speed is no factor you gain not much from a weapon lore in the case of magic coup:

no attack speed, obviously

no double hits from weapon lore mastery

most unique one hand weapons which have the weapon skill available by the elf have nothing unlocked with the skill

magic coup has a build in hit chance which is normally enough for non-bosses if assisted by some jewels

So a melee elf is a nice character to play a weapon expert who can fight with nearly any weapon.

You can boost attack speed and hit chance for a short time with trophies. This allows the use of x% life leech weapons against bosses, even you don't have the appropriate weapon skill. I did a german alchemy guide and I was trying alchemy for different classes, and if you have a good defense and access to trophies, then all you need to kill a boss is alchemy and a x% life leech weapon.

Short:

alchemy trophy to boost attack speed should be in

magic coup and arcane lore instead attack speed

I updated that page gogo.

Thanks for the info Sarcolemming, could you do the same tests with the following if you have some time?

* Halberds

* Javelins

* Poles

* Mage Staves

* 2H mage staves

That's all thats missing from the table now.

My guess is that 2H polearms and 2H mage staves will be about the same speed as 2H axes/swords but I could be wrong.

I was surprised that clubs are faster than axes which are faster than hammers.

Edited by ka243

Nice info you put in ka. Chatius, I like what you said bout the trophies and the magic coup arcane lore. And I think with the right setup there is a place for them on the page. What I will do when I get home from work is to put in a section (or anyone else can do this if they want) Ways to Improve Attack Speed: xxx

Then we can list all the ways with perhaps information on each way to improve Àttack speed`

- Socketing rings with x

-wearing armor with x

-wielding weps with x native to it

-picking appropriate lore

- Magic Coup

-Trophies

-Any specific Character Combat Art`s ...

Anything else I forgot ?

etc etc...this would give the page more depth and more utility for players.

At work right now, can`t edit the wiki well, I can get to this when I get home.

:)

gogo

p.s. hah, Trust yer a slave driver :thumbsup: I think Schot last night was mentionning that he`s going to have a look at the set bonuses, so we`ll probably get to turn the microscope on set items then as well .

Magic Coup is a spell so its regulated by casting speed and not attack speed and its normal that its speed comes from lore (except in combos on consoles)....

But yes alchemy should be added to the page as well as perhaps a list of Combat Arts that increase attack speed and maybe a list of Combat Arts governed by attack speed rather than casting speed.

:thumbsup:

What about diminishing on socketing attack speed via jewelry...is there dminishing on it, has anyont tested?

:)

gogo

Good thing to test. I'd like to see how high the attack speed bonuses can get at max levels from jewelry/items too.

Another good thing to test is if there is diminishing returns on attack speed from use of several sources of increase.

Ex: if you have jewelry 5%, Combat Art 10% and weapon 10% does that make +25%?

Added weapon types to the uniques on that page except the ones I couldn't figure out.

Added the combat arts that can effect attack speed.

Edited by ka243

Yes and if you get it from other sources you wonder if it adds full. So Gogo has a point there. Take KungFu-Dryads for example: no weapon skill since they fight unarmed.

Saying this, I think we need to add unarmed to the list too :thumbsup: