Portable internet radio

Obsession

Hey.. I'veen listening now Finlands not so great radio station selection and come to conclusion that I need a portable internet radio device or I am going to get depressed or mad. :thumbsup: Listening every day from 6am to 2pm radio, so I really need to hear something new.. all the stations just plays same songs over and over and over again.. Wouldn't mind if they were any good, but mostly it's po-po-po-poker face by lady gaga or new black eyed peas songs.. arghtt! :woot:

So now, please show me small enought device that can play internet radio channels. Even better if it doesn't have any other functions or "big" lcd monitors and uses AA or AAA batteries. For the network use I've got 3G wireless connection, which uses either USB-stick, Sim card inside or even better would be device where you can install Sim card directly (like mini laptop's has nowdays)

Laptop is too big, Mini laptop is too big.. Iphones and such are out of the question as they are too expensive (I would only use it for listening internet radios), too fragile and have weak batteries which cannot be charget at work and extra batteries are really expensive. In my dreams this device should be about size of basic portable USB-Stick, but I'm okey if it's size of a old portable cd-player (this is how desperate I am as those things were huge)

Some sort of hand pc would be cool as it could be used to surf the net too, but haven't found any on the market.. watched some program long time a go where they had three times PSP size hand pc:s and allready then wanted one, but if I remember right it comes to market in 2010 - 2012..

How about PSP Go, anyone know what net connections it uses or is there keyboard coming out for it?

Hey, where's Timo when you need him :woot: Great seeing you back Obsession, hope summer was awesome? And... finally regarding your topic... I know a lot of Cellphones here in Canada have Sirius as Satellite radio option... I don't know if it's offered where you live, but Bell offers it here as feature for phone...I think it's about 8.00 CAD a month?

:thumbsup:

gogo

You raaaang? :P

Sorry Obs, can't help ya here. I've been looking into this as well, but so far I've only found home solutions and none cheaper than 175€... The PSP Go has no built-in WLAN access, but it can be used with a phone serving as a router/modem IIRC. Bit of a hassle and an expensive solution, because you would need a smartphone anyway to get the tethering to work.

Edited by Timotheus
You raaaang? :viking:

Sorry Obs, can't help ya here. I've been looking into this as well, but so far I've only found home solutions and none cheaper than 175€... The PSP Go has no built-in WLAN access, but it can be used with a phone serving as a router/modem IIRC. Bit of a hassle and an expensive solution, because you would need a smartphone anyway to get the tethering to work.

Yeah, seems so. Too bad. I wonder how hard it really can be to create small portable internet radio player in time where I can surf where ever wirelessly whit this 1mb 3G mobile modem (or what ever it's called internationally) which is no bigger than standard usb-stick.. or is it just too expensive to create? This basic 3g modem costs around 120 euros. If we add cheap phillips mp3/radio player components (also size of basic usb stick) around 40 euros and some simple program where you can select from the net what stations you wanna put in to this devices memory and they would automaticly be found by name in the player. I would definetly buy it for 200-250e right away.

And to Schot and Gogo, Sattelite radio is no option as here aren't any providers of that service. Never has been and I believe never will be.. Too bad, it sounds really interesting.