Sacred 2 crashing with new rig :(

Well either the servers are down or it didn't like my changes :wow:

Downloaded 9x

add "-noncpubinding" to shortcut

Have Nvidia card handling Physx and AA

And now when I try to log on to Closed lobby it just hangs at "Connecting to lobby..." message

check that " -nocpubinding " not -non

I'm heading on now to check things out. See if it's the lobby that is down or just you Knuckles.

P.s.

Good news and bad news... Servers are fine. :/

P.p.s

Just got my first CTD in Win 7, heh. Sacred 2 just completely disappeared while I tried to log onto a server. :wow: Is that what happens to you guys?

Sometimes yes.

Well either the servers are down or it didn't like my changes :D

Downloaded 9x

And now when I try to log on to Closed lobby it just hangs at "Connecting to lobby..." message

Was it Direct9x or 9c we needed? can you provide a link Schot? or did you already*lookin back at posts*

I had to install DirectX 9c runtimes on my fresh install of Windows 7 x64 because CoD4:MW & CoD:WaW (and other DirectX 9 games) were crashing or wouldn't even start

even with DirectX 11 installed by Windows 7 it seems you still need some 9c runtimes for those "old" games to run properly

I have had no problems with any DirectX 9 games since installing the 9c runtimes

Do we need to reinstall directx11 after the directx9? maybe thats a problem if we don't patch this right?

Also, knuckle does it matter if you are using a pre-2.43 build or post 2.65.1 build?

On server # addon 2378 with Spunky and prometheus right now. been running for almost 2 hours with no problems with ATI card

running high settings, hardware AA , -nocpubinding, run as administrator. windowed. and have FDM running in back ground

Edited by locolagarto
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well either the servers are down or it didn't like my changes :wow:

Downloaded 9x

Maybe just a bad day Knuckles? That problem has happened to me once or twice. Lasted for about an hour I think and there wasn't much I could do about it. Everything else internet related was fine when it happened to me. I tried over and over and over to connect to the lobby and even tried open like you did which worked. I just had to wait so before you start trying to problem solve this particular issue I would say wait a few hours. Maybe just a system restart will do after you've waited.

been running for almost 2 hours with no problems with ATI card running high settings, hardware AA , -nocpubinding, run as administrator. windowed. and have FDM running in back ground

That's pretty much me except I don't use "-nocpubinding". You must really be enjoying yourself, haha.

By the way... I noticed a particular windows update a couple days ago. I haven't installed it yet but I'm wondering if you guys already have it or not. You can check your Update History to see if you have it already by typing Windows Update, (or just type "update"), in your Start button field and then clicking on Windows Update. Then click on "View update history" and look through the list for "Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB974332)". If you don't already have it it might be worth installing.

As for the Directx thing it's specifically DirectX 9.0c which Sacred 2 is supposed to install when it installs itself. Given the track record and that it's being installed on a new OS that Sacred 2 wasn't developed for it's possible that something can/will go wrong. Installing DirectX 9.0c will add data so no need to worry about overwriting Directx 11. :wow:

Well it started working again though I didn't do anything. Sounds like I had what you did Schot.

Got a few recent 64 bit updates including that one in the last 2-3 days, so unfortunately that didn't help

Tried 9.0c and re-doing the other settings I mentioned a couple of posts ago and right back to where I was. Crashing within 10-15 minutes again. At this point I think I'm just gonna wait for XP64 to arrive and try again then.

Well it started working again though I didn't do anything. Sounds like I had what you did Schot.

Got a few recent 64 bit updates including that one in the last 2-3 days, so unfortunately that didn't help

Tried 9.0c and re-doing the other settings I mentioned a couple of posts ago and right back to where I was. Crashing within 10-15 minutes again. At this point I think I'm just gonna wait for XP64 to arrive and try again then.

I wondered if you left on purpose or by force. I am running really well *knock on wood* with this ATI card. gonna keep testing a while and see if I can get it the crash. it this continues to work I will reinstall my GTX260 and repeat this test. if I get crashes with the Nvidia then we'll know. This ATI doesn't look as nice as the GTX. but with the elite graphics that may help. And I can double check on the crossfire support of my MOBO. 2 $139 cards that don't crash vs. 1 $210 card that does..... If it works O.K too. that I will need to back track and catalog all the changes and setting I can so I know what not to ever change again.

This is a real drag. You must be at your wits end Knuckles. No doubt you need to take a break from all this troubleshooting. I'm curious about your crashing. Is it 10-15 mins even when alone on a server? As in no one ever enters the server you are on?

I wondered if you left on purpose or by force. I am running really well *knock on wood* with this ATI card. gonna keep testing a while and see if I can get it the crash. it this continues to work I will reinstall my GTX260 and repeat this test. if I get crashes with the Nvidia then we'll know. This ATI doesn't look as nice as the GTX. but with the elite graphics that may help. And I can double check on the crossfire support of my MOBO. 2 $139 cards that don't crash vs. 1 $210 card that does..... If it works O.K too. that I will need to back track and catalog all the changes and setting I can so I know what not to ever change again.

Great to read that you're doing much better loco. :wow: I'd reconsider the crossfire option though... Do you reeeeaally want to attempt crossfire in Sacred 2? lol. If you can I'd strongly recommend trying to take back that 4850 and pick up a 4890 instead. The power/performance improvement from my past 4850 to present 4890 was quite substantial. Well worth the difference in price. I noticed the difference between the two most when I was running in elite mode and when running multiple Sacred 2 instances. I have the 1GB 4890. Great card. They should really have charged more when it was released, haha.

I'd reconsider the crossfire option though... Do you reeeeaally want to attempt crossfire in Sacred 2? lol. If you can I'd strongly recommend trying to take back that 4850 and pick up a 4890 instead. The power/performance improvement from my past 4850 to present 4890 was quite substantial. Well worth the difference in price. I noticed the difference between the two most when I was running in elite mode and when running multiple Sacred 2 instances. I have the 1GB 4890. Great card. They should really have charged more when it was released, haha.

Well I just can't leave well enough alone can I?LOL I saw a 4890 sitting on the shelf. but was $65 more and I wasn't even sure if this was gonna work. not sure about the crossfire either but it sounds like a cool idea.

Been working in the swamp since my last post. no crashes yet. just got up to the mount vendor south of Lizareth in the uncharted area. opened a second window and brought a new char in under my utility account. so far a maxed full window and a minimum low quality window are running well together and no crashes. now where is that 10 in a row quest string so I can boost this baby toons XP a little? was it east of the mount vendor or west?

sacred22009-12-3017-41-20-12.jpg

Edited by locolagarto

The more I read, the more it seems to be a GTX issue. I first went to Nvidia for drivers but they didn't change anything. So I'm trying the actual manufacturer this time. In my case it's Gigabyte and they have downloads for drivers and Physx for my specific GTX 285 (guess they have 3-4 different models of this card). Hopefully these make a difference. Would hate having to buy an ATI card just to play Sacred.

Edit: Well the Physx download from Gigabyte was older than one from Nvidia but the actual driver download was different. Would like to try out tonight but unfortunately got another early start tomorrow so will test in the afternoon

The more I read, the more it seems to be a GTX issue. I first went to Nvidia for drivers but they didn't change anything. So I'm trying the actual manufacturer this time. In my case it's Gigabyte and they have downloads for drivers and Physx for my specific GTX 285 (guess they have 3-4 different models of this card). Hopefully these make a difference. Would hate having to buy an ATI card just to play Sacred.

Edit: Well the Physx download from Gigabyte was older than one from Nvidia but the actual driver download was different. Would like to try out tonight but unfortunately got another early start tomorrow so will test in the afternoon

I will re-install my GTX tomorrow and test. this ATI is running flawlessly. but a fresh install of the BGF drivers and we'll see if my crashing comes back.

I will re-install my GTX tomorrow and test. this ATI is running flawlessly. but a fresh install of the BGF drivers and we'll see if my crashing comes back.

After playing from 10:30 A.M. till 4:00 A.m. yesterday with only 1 crash.( when I got to desktop I had a windows defender notice to check files before sending to MS). don't know what was all that about. I reinstalled my GTX260. installed graphics drivers from BFG.(actually they use Nvidia unified drivers.) I configured 3D as before with as much graphics control to HW as possible. Before ever starting Sacred2 I disabled Physx at the control panel for Nvidia. Started Sacred and made no changes to game settings. I ran for 2 hours around Thylisium and Sloeford teleporting and ducking in and out of caves and no issues. even had a few visitors to my server from Spain and :) not sure about the other "Incognito Dryade" may have been German. anyway, no crashes yet. the GTX260 graphics looks a little nicer, although frame rate was 20% lower than ATI. probably cause of the better AA x16Q and such. still not sure then what has changed in my system other than the re-install of Sacred2 and clean install of drivers. but my old stuff was only a few weeks old so...... or could be like shot said. physx is messing up the whole works. I don't imagine it was fully vetted in Ascaron before launch. just came out in 2.40 this summer right? by then the financial crunch may have expedited the testing process.

Well I am gonna get a few winks of sleep and come back for some more testing in Servers.

The testing last night netted me a gold level shopper. thanks for the assit Schot and Furian67

After playing from 10:30 A.M. till 4:00 A.m. yesterday with only 1 crash.( when I got to desktop I had a windows defender notice to check files before sending to MS). don't know what was all that about. I reinstalled my GTX260. installed graphics drivers from BFG.(actually they use Nvidia unified drivers.) I configured 3D as before with as much graphics control to HW as possible. Before ever starting Sacred2 I disabled Physx at the control panel for Nvidia. Started Sacred and made no changes to game settings. I ran for 2 hours around Thylisium and Sloeford teleporting and ducking in and out of caves and no issues. even had a few visitors to my server from Spain and ? not sure about the other "Incognito Dryade" may have been German. anyway, no crashes yet. the GTX260 graphics looks a little nicer, although frame rate was 20% lower than ATI. probably cause of the better AA x16Q and such. still not sure then what has changed in my system other than the re-install of Sacred2 and clean install of drivers. but my old stuff was only a few weeks old so...... or could be like shot said. physx is messing up the whole works. I don't imagine it was fully vetted in Ascaron before launch. just came out in 2.40 this summer right? by then the financial crunch may have expedited the testing process.

Well I am gonna get a few winks of sleep and come back for some more testing in Servers.

The testing last night netted me a gold level shopper. thanks for the assist Schot and Furian67

Knuckles if you have the time this week end. Would you be willing to try something?

1. Completely uninstall Sacred2.

2. uninstall Nvidia Drivers and reinstall after full reboot. configure for overide application settings and disable PhysX.

3. install Sacred2 again with all patches.configure the shortcut to run as administrator with the -nocpubinding on the end

4. Select high setting in graphics control. uncheck AA and weather. turn off gore and Buff display. don't touch physx leave it off

5. cross your fingers and lets try it

this sounds like a pain but I was able to do it in less than an hour. all the issues that I had before have yet to resurface. I think physx may be to blame. and turning on and off seems to have lasting affect. better to never turn on at all.

P.S. say hello to the monkey! his name is George. found him waiting for someone to play with him at photobucket. He's cool, drinks beer *as you can see from photo*. my new buddy

Edited by locolagarto

Dual booted XP64 and installed game. Just went in and played for 3 hours and had only one freeze up. I took the easy way out :) Not too good with pc's and modifying settings and all that so this seemed the easiest way for me

Thanks to you Knuckles I just gave in and did the same :)

It's taken 3 hours to get XP installed with all the drivers and now Sacred 2 is installing, hope it's worth it:)

Dual booted XP64 and installed game. Just went in and played for 3 hours and had only one freeze up. I took the easy way out :) Not too good with pc's and modifying settings and all that so this seemed the easiest way for me

Great news on the no crashes. I am curious. did you do anything with PhysX. As I really think that was my problem. and not because I actually ran PhysX but because to tested with it. It does some voodoo to the system that is not undone simply by unchecking the box. I am interested in your steps to getting on with the XP64.

Now that brings up another question. do you need to dual boot. what does win7 have that XP64 does not. ( I know they are different, but what will you actually make use of) could you then just remove the Win7 from the equation and make life simpler?

I think that Georgey has taken a liking to yah there loco. ^^

Physx was a huuuge mess when it was implemented from the 2.40 patch. Oddly enough it was ATI cards that were having a hard time. Or at least from my end it was certainly the case. I was crashing and lagging like I never saw before and it seemed as though there was nothing I could do. For quite a while the option to turn on/off Physx was nowhere to be seen and it was as though I was trapped in Physx mode. Physx should have had no effect on ATI cards but in my games it was desparately trying to... And failing. What I was forced to endure were occasional explosions of large square particles whenever a Physx effect occured. That meant leaves and various Combat Art special effects. Eventually one day that option appeared in my graphics options to turn on/off physx. It was already in the off position so I still had some figuring out to do. I played with that option as well as the Nvidea PhysX Properties window. I think I also had to download a different Nvidea physx driver but at this point the memory is foggy. Or blocked, haha. That's why I've been thinking that this problem you guys have been having was closer to a Physx problem. As soon as Knuckles mentioned the possibility of it being a vid card problem I started thinking about Physx. It's been unstable to say the least in the past.

Before reinstalling Sacred 2 I'd suggest trying different drivers. There was a topic somehwere on the SIF about installing a specific driver for Physx from Nvidea. I believe it is a completely separate driver from Nvidea's video card drivers if I recall correctly.

P.s.

After playing from 10:30 A.M. till 4:00 A.m. yesterday with only 1 crash.( when I got to desktop I had a windows defender notice to check files before sending to MS). don't know what was all that about. I reinstalled my GTX260. installed graphics drivers from BFG.(actually they use Nvidia unified drivers.) I configured 3D as before with as much graphics control to HW as possible. Before ever starting Sacred2 I disabled Physx at the control panel for Nvidia. Started Sacred and made no changes to game settings. I ran for 2 hours around Thylisium and Sloeford teleporting and ducking in and out of caves and no issues. even had a few visitors to my server from Spain and ? not sure about the other "Incognito Dryade" may have been German. anyway, no crashes yet. the GTX260 graphics looks a little nicer, although frame rate was 20% lower than ATI. probably cause of the better AA x16Q and such. still not sure then what has changed in my system other than the re-install of Sacred2 and clean install of drivers. but my old stuff was only a few weeks old so...... or could be like shot said. physx is messing up the whole works. I don't imagine it was fully vetted in Ascaron before launch. just came out in 2.40 this summer right? by then the financial crunch may have expedited the testing process.

Nice to read that things are running much more smoothly this time around. :)

Remember, I look for the easiest solution :)

I could have started over and just had XP64 and nothing else, but dual booting was quicker and I have plenty of room on the hdd. Plus new programs will be designed for Win 7 and not XP so the problem will be in reverse (works with Win 7 and not XP). This way I have both OS's up and available.

I have Physx on with XP and other than one freeze up, I've had no issues playing.

As far as steps to getting on with XP. Nothing really. Just loaded XP, grabbed all the updates for it and then loaded Sacred 2. Slapped all the settings to max and started playing :P

@ Schot, yes there is a separate download for just Physx. I tried that and also having physx off, both in-game and at Nvidia controls. Didn't make a bit of difference. I went and 'dumbed' down as much as possible, all gfx settings at lowest, sound off etc. Would still crash within 10 minutes on Win 7.

Having never played Sacred 2 in XP, even early beta was with vista, all I can say is it's like playing a different game :P

Just as you said Knuckles, all settings highest, running in and out of caves, buffing away and generally loving the game all over again without worrying about the freezing. Wish I'd dual booted ages ago but a big thanks to you mate, after reading your post I took the plunge :)

:D

Edited by Dobster
  • 9 months later...

Necro-ing this thread since I now have a Windows 7 box... and I know that Dobs has ongoing ctd issues.

I put in UK Sacred2 2.0.2.0--and tried to patch it to 2.40 UK version...

The patch tells me I don't have any Sacred2 installed. I'm using x64 Windows 7... and it installed Sacred2 in "Program Files x86".

Was going to leave Sacred 2 in that mode until I tried a VD Dryad... but the ctds stopped me. (though I wasn't yet running in XP compatiblity mode, nor running as Administrator yet).

Will try the suggestions others have posted here... but what gets me is the patch is telling me I don't have Sacred 2 installed at all.

:)

Necro-ing this thread since I now have a Windows 7 box... and I know that Dobs has ongoing ctd issues.

I put in UK Sacred2 2.0.2.0--and tried to patch it to 2.40 UK version...

The patch tells me I don't have any Sacred2 installed. I'm using x64 Windows 7... and it installed Sacred2 in "Program Files x86".

Was going to leave Sacred 2 in that mode until I tried a VD Dryad... but the ctds stopped me. (though I wasn't yet running in XP compatiblity mode, nor running as Administrator yet).

Will try the suggestions others have posted here... but what gets me is the patch is telling me I don't have Sacred 2 installed at all.

:)

Hey Frosty!

Make sure the 2.40 patch you are trying is this one: http://download.nvidia.com/downloads/nZone...NT-2_40_0_0.exe

other wise the patch will be looking for 2.34. and that is a tough way to go patch by patch. the link above will take you from fresh install to 2.40